Scrambler B

Eggo
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler B

Post by Eggo »

Uploaded pictures of last year's device. Some of the pictures are inconsistent (e.g. angle changing mechanism for bonus shown in fourth and fifth pictures aren't on other pictures of the vehicle as that was added later). And the mass isn't shown. Feel free to ask questions, borrow design (I certainly didn't come up with all the ideas to this myself), etc.

scioly.github.io/scioly/scrambler
Thanks! I was actually wondering the V shaped thing had a specific name, or if there was something else I could use to hold the car in place.
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Eggo wrote:
Uploaded pictures of last year's device. Some of the pictures are inconsistent (e.g. angle changing mechanism for bonus shown in fourth and fifth pictures aren't on other pictures of the vehicle as that was added later). And the mass isn't shown. Feel free to ask questions, borrow design (I certainly didn't come up with all the ideas to this myself), etc.

scioly.github.io/scioly/scrambler
Thanks! I was actually wondering the V shaped thing had a specific name, or if there was something else I could use to hold the car in place.
I use an archery release, which hooks onto a loop of fishing line on my vehicle. If there is a name to it, I haven't heard it.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Bernard, what is the purpose of so many of the hooks/holes nail thingies that hold the fishing line? Also, is that you pulley launcher because it a rubber band
I get it is elastic and is similar in theory, but is it better necessarily?
Also, while the pictures cleared up a lot, I still don't get how the spring is supposed to be locked out or how to release the ETV
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Also, how do you use the pencil to initiate the device?
thomas_2002
Division: B
State: MO

Post by thomas_2002 »

hi
its almost time for my regional event and i need a simple scrambler design and help with the pulley launcher. i have a rectangle car that works and i mainly need help with the pulley launcher. i could use all the help i could get thanks
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Shanta wrote:Bernard, what is the purpose of so many of the hooks/holes nail thingies that hold the fishing line?
The eye hooks act like pulleys, except they require less maintenance. With pulleys, sometimes the line will slide off, etc.
Shanta wrote:Also, is that you pulley launcher because it a rubber band
I get it is elastic and is similar in theory, but is it better necessarily?
It's still a spring launcher, the rubber band is elastic like a spring but I liked it better because I have more control over the elasticity. I took rubber from a Wright Stuff kit, so I can experiment with rubber width, rubber length, and how many loops I make. Whereas a metallic spring is quite difficult to experiment with; once you cut it there's no going back and you can't do so much with how elastic (spring constant) it is typically. I think the ninth picture shows me using three loops of 0.081" rubber. I don't have data to support this intuition, but I think my rubber was slightly less elastic than a metal spring, which I had tried before, and I like that because a spring compressing so quickly can be unsafe and seems to be too forceful.
Shanta wrote:Also, while the pictures cleared up a lot, I still don't get how the spring is supposed to be locked out or how to release the ETV
Look carefully at the sixth picture: there is a small loop of fishing line attached to the back of the vehicle (and tied very, very securely). Now look at the tenth picture: the black object is the bow release, which clamps onto the loop in the sixth picture. When the mass falls, it is supposed to stretch the elastic attached to the bow release trigger, releasing the vehicle. But you probably don't want to use elastic there. At state the elastic just stretched without releasing the vehicle--resulted in participation points only.
Shanta wrote:Also, how do you use the pencil to initiate the device?
Eighth picture: See those two small eye hooks? My mass had a hook on it too, which would go between those two hooks. And then I'd stick a cotter pin through all three loops. To this cotter pin I had a loop, which the pencil would go through. To release the mass, just pull the pencil to pull out the cotter pin. But have to be careful since the pin cannot touch the ground. Here's a picture from a previous version of my device: https://github.com/scioly/scioly/blob/g ... elease.JPG
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

thomas_2002 wrote:hi
its almost time for my regional event and i need a simple scrambler design and help with the pulley launcher. i have a rectangle car that works and i mainly need help with the pulley launcher. i could use all the help i could get thanks
What have you done already? Have you started working on a pulley launcher? If not, perhaps the Scrambler Wiki would be helpful for design. Then we can help on the forums with troubleshooting or other issues that arise.
thomas_2002

Post by thomas_2002 »

im getting ready to build the pulley launcher and was wondering if i should use three pulleys or two?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

thomas_2002 wrote:im getting ready to build the pulley launcher and was wondering if i should use three pulleys or two?
Where do you want to put each pulley?
thomas_2002

Post by thomas_2002 »

bernard wrote:
thomas_2002 wrote:im getting ready to build the pulley launcher and was wondering if i should use three pulleys or two?
Where do you want to put each pulley?

basically one in the back of the "cube" and one of the top part of the front part and then one below that.

Return to “2016 Build Events”