Scrambler B

jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Re: Scrambler B

Postby jgrischow1 » March 1st, 2016, 2:16 pm

I am running this event at an upcoming tournament. I am familiar with the rules and the material found here: https://www.soinc.org/event-supervisors I would love suggestions for how not to end up on the "poorly run event stories" thread. Any advice you have based on how you have seen the event run in the past would be appreciated.

Shanta

Postby Shanta » March 5th, 2016, 7:13 pm

Help on the release:
I'm using a pulley launcher and the lower pulley is parallel to the car, but how do I get the string/rope to easily release?
I'm using nylon cord and eyehooks btw
and I have several feet of dowel I feel like using

fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA

Postby fishman100 » March 9th, 2016, 10:57 am

Help on the release:
I'm using a pulley launcher and the lower pulley is parallel to the car, but how do I get the string/rope to easily release?
For us we had a screw protruding a few millimeters upwards from the back of the ETV. We tied the end of the string in a loop and placed it within the ~3mm gap formed from the head of the screw to the point of extrusion. It's important to make the diameter of the loop larger than the diameter of the screw head so the string can easily "detach" from the ETV when it leaves the launcher.

Of course, since you're using eye hooks, you'll have to modify the design a little, but I hope you get the idea.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

InfiniCuber
Division: C
State: IN

Postby InfiniCuber » March 9th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Help on the release:
For us we had a screw protruding a few millimeters upwards from the back of the ETV. We tied the end of the string in a loop and placed it within the ~3mm gap formed from the head of the screw to the point of extrusion. It's important to make the diameter of the loop larger than the diameter of the screw head so the string can easily "detach" from the ETV when it leaves the launcher.

Of course, since you're using eye hooks, you'll have to modify the design a little, but I hope you get the idea.
Last year, one of our teams had a nail (the tiny ones with tiny nail heads) on the back of the ETV, and the nylon string was easily able to slide off. A normal dowel rod could do it too if you have enough tension holding the car back and the string on the dowel until it releases. Just use a loop of string if that is your design.
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~

roysouvik

Energy Propulsion System for Scramber

Postby roysouvik » March 12th, 2016, 1:31 pm

I would like to seek advice on how to build an energy propulsion system for my Scramber. The type of propulsion system I want is a pulley launcher. Any good advice on the materials needed and how to build it are welcome.

SluffAndRuff
Division: B
State: VA

Postby SluffAndRuff » March 13th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Hey guys... I just wanted to check in with what I had seen at my regional and another regional I went to. Distances were 10m at the other regional and 12m at my regional. It was extremely easy to get a medal in both regionals, as long as your car did not have any violations, didn't break the egg, went 8.5 meters, and didn't exit the 1.5 meter track. In fact, simply meeting these guidelines almost guaranteed a medal. (These are Virginia regionals, not amazingly competitive but still relatively competitive.)

My team finished first with a distance from target of 36 cm and a run time of 2.3 seconds. I used a spring launcher and a balsa wood ETV. The stop distance wasn't great but after seeing how everyone else did we decided to play it safe and not risk breaking the egg.

I also wanted to thank everyone on this forum who provided help on my launcher, ETV, and more as well as answering the many questions I had. :D
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''

sciencecat42

Postby sciencecat42 » March 14th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Uploaded pictures of last year's device. Some of the pictures are inconsistent (e.g. angle changing mechanism for bonus shown in fourth and fifth pictures aren't on other pictures of the vehicle as that was added later). And the mass isn't shown. Feel free to ask questions, borrow design (I certainly didn't come up with all the ideas to this myself), etc.

scioly.github.io/scioly/scrambler
What are the things between the plastic axle containers and the wheels? Ball bearings?

Also, how did you attach the long dowel rod holders to the axle containers? Screws or was it printed like that?

Eggo
State: CA
Location: <insert precise location here for stalkers to find you.>

Postby Eggo » March 14th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Hey guys... I just wanted to check in with what I had seen at my regional and another regional I went to. Distances were 10m at the other regional and 12m at my regional. It was extremely easy to get a medal in both regionals, as long as your car did not have any violations, didn't break the egg, went 8.5 meters, and didn't exit the 1.5 meter track. In fact, simply meeting these guidelines almost guaranteed a medal. (These are Virginia regionals, not amazingly competitive but still relatively competitive.)

My team finished first with a distance from target of 36 cm and a run time of 2.3 seconds. I used a spring launcher and a balsa wood ETV. The stop distance wasn't great but after seeing how everyone else did we decided to play it safe and not risk breaking the egg.

I also wanted to thank everyone on this forum who provided help on my launcher, ETV, and more as well as answering the many questions I had. :D
Actually, this comment reminded me that I too, have to thank everyone on this forum for all the questions they've answered about scrambler. I compete in the Orange County Regionals in Southern California(pretty competitive), and we got 1st on 10m with a distance of 9 cm and a run time of 2.55 seconds. I use a spring launcher and an aluminum ETV.

We were actually pretty confident with our ETV(made with precision cut wheels and bearings) and we just went for it on the first and the second and got 10 cm the first time and 9 cm the second time. Feel free to PM me for tips on making a spring launcher.
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51

GoofyFoofer
State: CA

Postby GoofyFoofer » March 14th, 2016, 10:28 pm

Does anybody have any winning scores from any competition? I want to see about what is needed distance-wise for a gold. Of course, every competition is different, but a general score range would be helpful. Thanks!
Alumnus: Hermosa Valley School, California. Go Dolphins!!!
California Academy of Math and Science. Go Rebels!!!
Medal Count: 10
Wind Power, Ecology, Remote Sensing (why)
:D nuk nuk nuk 我喜歡科學

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby bernard » March 15th, 2016, 8:16 am

Uploaded pictures of last year's device. Some of the pictures are inconsistent (e.g. angle changing mechanism for bonus shown in fourth and fifth pictures aren't on other pictures of the vehicle as that was added later). And the mass isn't shown. Feel free to ask questions, borrow design (I certainly didn't come up with all the ideas to this myself), etc.

scioly.github.io/scioly/scrambler
What are the things between the plastic axle containers and the wheels? Ball bearings?

Also, how did you attach the long dowel rod holders to the axle containers? Screws or was it printed like that?
They are wheel hubs that attach wheels to axles. The wooden dowels were sanded down until a tight fit was achieved. No glue was necessary except for the backstop attachment.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Return to “2016 Build Events”