Scrambler B

SluffAndRuff
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler B

Post by SluffAndRuff »

Hey guys... I just wanted to check in with what I had seen at my regional and another regional I went to. Distances were 10m at the other regional and 12m at my regional. It was extremely easy to get a medal in both regionals, as long as your car did not have any violations, didn't break the egg, went 8.5 meters, and didn't exit the 1.5 meter track. In fact, simply meeting these guidelines almost guaranteed a medal. (These are Virginia regionals, not amazingly competitive but still relatively competitive.)

My team finished first with a distance from target of 36 cm and a run time of 2.3 seconds. I used a spring launcher and a balsa wood ETV. The stop distance wasn't great but after seeing how everyone else did we decided to play it safe and not risk breaking the egg.

I also wanted to thank everyone on this forum who provided help on my launcher, ETV, and more as well as answering the many questions I had. :D
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''
sciencecat42

Post by sciencecat42 »

bernard wrote:Uploaded pictures of last year's device. Some of the pictures are inconsistent (e.g. angle changing mechanism for bonus shown in fourth and fifth pictures aren't on other pictures of the vehicle as that was added later). And the mass isn't shown. Feel free to ask questions, borrow design (I certainly didn't come up with all the ideas to this myself), etc.

scioly.github.io/scioly/scrambler
What are the things between the plastic axle containers and the wheels? Ball bearings?

Also, how did you attach the long dowel rod holders to the axle containers? Screws or was it printed like that?
Eggo
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Eggo »

SluffAndRuff wrote:Hey guys... I just wanted to check in with what I had seen at my regional and another regional I went to. Distances were 10m at the other regional and 12m at my regional. It was extremely easy to get a medal in both regionals, as long as your car did not have any violations, didn't break the egg, went 8.5 meters, and didn't exit the 1.5 meter track. In fact, simply meeting these guidelines almost guaranteed a medal. (These are Virginia regionals, not amazingly competitive but still relatively competitive.)

My team finished first with a distance from target of 36 cm and a run time of 2.3 seconds. I used a spring launcher and a balsa wood ETV. The stop distance wasn't great but after seeing how everyone else did we decided to play it safe and not risk breaking the egg.

I also wanted to thank everyone on this forum who provided help on my launcher, ETV, and more as well as answering the many questions I had. :D
Actually, this comment reminded me that I too, have to thank everyone on this forum for all the questions they've answered about scrambler. I compete in the Orange County Regionals in Southern California(pretty competitive), and we got 1st on 10m with a distance of 9 cm and a run time of 2.55 seconds. I use a spring launcher and an aluminum ETV.

We were actually pretty confident with our ETV(made with precision cut wheels and bearings) and we just went for it on the first and the second and got 10 cm the first time and 9 cm the second time. Feel free to PM me for tips on making a spring launcher.
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Does anybody have any winning scores from any competition? I want to see about what is needed distance-wise for a gold. Of course, every competition is different, but a general score range would be helpful. Thanks!
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

sciencecat42 wrote:
bernard wrote:Uploaded pictures of last year's device. Some of the pictures are inconsistent (e.g. angle changing mechanism for bonus shown in fourth and fifth pictures aren't on other pictures of the vehicle as that was added later). And the mass isn't shown. Feel free to ask questions, borrow design (I certainly didn't come up with all the ideas to this myself), etc.

What are the things between the plastic axle containers and the wheels? Ball bearings?

Also, how did you attach the long dowel rod holders to the axle containers? Screws or was it printed like that?
They are wheel hubs that attach wheels to axles. The wooden dowels were sanded down until a tight fit was achieved. No glue was necessary except for the backstop attachment.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
InfiniCuber
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber »

GoofyFoofer wrote:Does anybody have any winning scores from any competition? I want to see about what is needed distance-wise for a gold. Of course, every competition is different, but a general score range would be helpful. Thanks!
Well, this depends on competiton more than you think. Mostly level of competition. Are you asking for gold at an invite, regionals, state, or nationals? Nationals would be between 0-15cm with a 2 second time or so, for a competitive state and some competitive invites i would say similar distance maybe 0-20cm with about a 2.5 second time, and regionals and less competitive invites more so. Those are ranges for possible medals imo, someone else could think different.
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
Eggo

Post by Eggo »

GoofyFoofer wrote:Does anybody have any winning scores from any competition? I want to see about what is needed distance-wise for a gold. Of course, every competition is different, but a general score range would be helpful. Thanks!
I think we're both competing at Socal State, so I would say around 10-25 cm off with a time of less than 3.5 seconds.
Opie

Post by Opie »

bernard wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:

They are wheel hubs that attach wheels to axles. The wooden dowels were sanded down until a tight fit was achieved. No glue was necessary except for the backstop attachment.
Where did you get the Wheel hubs? I can't find them online. Thanks.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Opie wrote:
bernard wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:

They are from Servocity, which also sells the wheels and axles I used. If you're using a threaded rod for one axle, you'll likely want two different sizes of hubs. And be pretty certain about your setup before sticking things together, since I've had axles stick to hubs.

Precision Disk Wheels: https://www.servocity.com/html/precisio ... ug50MdlnVo
Wheel Hubs: https://www.servocity.com/html/0_770__s ... ug5_8dlnVo
Shafts: https://www.servocity.com/html/shafting.html
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Eggo

Post by Eggo »

bernard wrote:
Opie wrote:
bernard wrote: They are wheel hubs that attach wheels to axles. The wooden dowels were sanded down until a tight fit was achieved. No glue was necessary except for the backstop attachment.
They are from Servocity, which also sells the wheels and axles I used. If you're using a threaded rod for one axle, you'll likely want two different sizes of hubs. And be pretty certain about your setup before sticking things together, since I've had axles stick to hubs.

Precision Disk Wheels: https://www.servocity.com/html/precisio ... ug50MdlnVo
Wheel Hubs: https://www.servocity.com/html/0_770__s ... ug5_8dlnVo
Shafts: https://www.servocity.com/html/shafting.html

Ah! Someone else who uses ServoCity. I made my ETV out of the aluminum channels and the orange precision disk wheels. Also used the bearings from there.

Return to “2016 Build Events”