[chat][/chat]
sandvinsd
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Scrambler B

Post by sandvinsd »

I'll be the first to post here. What photogate system do you use? We need to get one in house for this event and I wanted to get feedback before a purchase.
Tacocat332

Re: Scrambler B

Post by Tacocat332 »

Does anyone have any ideas on a release mechanism for either the mass or the ETV? I've seen and heard of an eyebolt release mechanism for the mass, but I'm having trouble with a way to disengage the ETV from the strings (pulley launcher). Thanks! :)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Tacocat332 wrote:Does anyone have any ideas on a release mechanism for either the mass or the ETV? I've seen and heard of an eyebolt release mechanism for the mass, but I'm having trouble with a way to disengage the ETV from the strings (pulley launcher). Thanks! :)
Archery releases are another way of releasing masses, though more expensive than the eyebolt release. If by "disengage the ETV from the strings" you mean your ETV remains hooked on your strings after launch, it might not be an issue with how your mass is released...
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Tacocat332

Post by Tacocat332 »

bernard wrote:
Tacocat332 wrote:Does anyone have any ideas on a release mechanism for either the mass or the ETV? I've seen and heard of an eyebolt release mechanism for the mass, but I'm having trouble with a way to disengage the ETV from the strings (pulley launcher). Thanks! :)
Archery releases are another way of releasing masses, though more expensive than the eyebolt release. If by "disengage the ETV from the strings" you mean your ETV remains hooked on your strings after launch, it might not be an issue with how your mass is released...
Oh I meant to address the two as separate issues :? Sorry about that :D
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Tacocat332 wrote:
bernard wrote:
Oh I meant to address the two as separate issues :? Sorry about that :D
So you're also having issues with your ETV staying attached to your line that he mass pulls? If so, I had that issue when I did the event in Division C and could give some suggestions for that.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Tacocat332

Post by Tacocat332 »

Thanks! I could use all the help I can get (and probably need all the help I can get :lol: )
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Tacocat332,

Does your ETV jerk upwards when it is about to leave the launcher? If so, you want your last pulley to be at the same level or below the point your string connects to your ETV (below would just mean it pulls it into the ground a little but doesn't jerk it upwards). Hopefully that makes sense, if not I can try to provide a diagram.

Does your ETV have a hook that attaches to a line on your launcher? I've found that nothing special is needed; I just cut a shallow (about 1mm deek) notch on a 1/4" dowel that was vertically on the back of my ETV.
LAndrus
State: NC

Post by LAndrus »

Has anyone come up with a way to meet rule 2h with regards to a string touching the ground AFTER it launches the ETV?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

LAndrus wrote:Has anyone come up with a way to meet rule 2h with regards to a string touching the ground AFTER it launches the ETV?
Yes, I can't find any pictures of my device on my computer so a video will have to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKisLACH9fU. The eyebolts at the front left and right of the launcher have a single loop threaded through both. The falling mass pulls on the loop, and that moves the car. Since it's a spring launcher, the spring (rubber band) returning to its relaxed position makes the loops a little tight, so it doesn't touch the ground in the end. If you have the Scrambler CD, there's a picture on it that matches this design, I think it's Solon Middle School's device.

Return to “2016 Build Events”