cemsc10
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler B

Post by cemsc10 »

dragon_fruit35 wrote:
cemsc10 wrote:Our first run had a violation for going out of the track area, but it still stopped close to the wall, just the wall for the other team (two teams at a time). Our second run was accidental launch, but they ended up taking both I think? Are they only supposed to take the higher scored one?
They will take the higher scored launch. They may not have been able to score your second run, so you may end up with a comp violation. :?
Oh, that makes sense now, thanks!
An disease detective who happens to experiment with meteorology when she is sick of testing her scrambler.
daycd

Post by daycd »

Does anyone know if a photo gate is planned for nationals? They used hand timing at the WI state tournament, which was at the same venue for nationals. But maybe there will be a different team organizing the event at nationals?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

daycd wrote:Does anyone know if a photo gate is planned for nationals? They used hand timing at the WI state tournament, which was at the same venue for nationals. But maybe there will be a different team organizing the event at nationals?
Last year's scrambler ES is most likely also this year's ES for EV (he's been around for a long time), and if I remember correctly he usually uses photogates.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Unome wrote:
daycd wrote:Does anyone know if a photo gate is planned for nationals? They used hand timing at the WI state tournament, which was at the same venue for nationals. But maybe there will be a different team organizing the event at nationals?
Last year's scrambler ES is most likely also this year's ES for EV (he's been around for a long time), and if I remember correctly he usually uses photogates.
It's pretty much a given that any event at Nationals that potentially could use photogates WILL use photogates.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
skin45

Post by skin45 »

If the egg hits the terminal barrier lightly, but the egg does not break (i.e., leak) does it count as a competition violation?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

skin45 wrote:If the egg hits the terminal barrier lightly, but the egg does not break (i.e., leak) does it count as a competition violation?
No, in fact it could hit the Terminal Barrier quite hard and not be penalized if it doesn't break.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Mp3nguin__
Division: C
State: UT

Post by Mp3nguin__ »

I am on the Scrambler B division event and I am going to state next week. I know most regional competitions had a ten meter barrier, so is there a more common barrier length for state competitions this year? I really want to practice and do well so the information would be useful. Thank you.

2019 region/state
Mousetrap Vehicle: 4th/5th
Designer Genes: 4th/haven't got scores
Fossils: 3rd/3rd
Experimental Design: 3rd/haven't got scores
Fermi Questions: n/a/haven't got scores
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

Mp3nguin__ wrote:I am on the Scrambler B division event and I am going to state next week. I know most regional competitions had a ten meter barrier, so is there a more common barrier length for state competitions this year? I really want to practice and do well so the information would be useful. Thank you.
Supervisors can choose locations for the Terminal Barrier arbitrarily as long as rules are followed. Sometimes the range of distances the supervisor might choose may be limited by the space available. I wouldn't count on it being a particular length, but it's important to test your vehicle to ensure it can work for both the minimum and maximum track lengths.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY

Post by SPP SciO »

Mp3nguin__ wrote:I am on the Scrambler B division event and I am going to state next week. I know most regional competitions had a ten meter barrier, so is there a more common barrier length for state competitions this year? I really want to practice and do well so the information would be useful. Thank you.
If you're trying to simulate competitions at practice, I'd suggest going for one of the .25m increments (9.25, 9.75, 10.25, 10.75, 11.25, 11.75). Maybe write them on separate pieces of paper and have a teammate pull one out of a hat.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
Mp3nguin__
Division: C
State: UT

Post by Mp3nguin__ »

Just curious how important is speed? We got 6cm but it took 4.9 seconds. Is there a forumla?

2019 region/state
Mousetrap Vehicle: 4th/5th
Designer Genes: 4th/haven't got scores
Fossils: 3rd/3rd
Experimental Design: 3rd/haven't got scores
Fermi Questions: n/a/haven't got scores

Return to “2016 Build Events”