Scrambler B

Orpington416
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler B

Post by Orpington416 »

Hello, I was wondering how you guys attached your egg holder to the vehicle. The width of my wood is too thin to screw it in so any ideas?

Also, I made an egg holder and the dowels are rather high up, leaving the egg with only about 1.5 cm to rest against behind it. Do you guys think it matters since we get tape as well?

And, my photo gate dowel is kind of diagonal (it's not perfectly vertical), do you think that it makes a difference?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Orpington416 wrote:Hello, I was wondering how you guys attached your egg holder to the vehicle. The width of my wood is too thin to screw it in so any ideas?
If you can't screw, will glue work?
Orpington416 wrote:Also, I made an egg holder and the dowels are rather high up, leaving the egg with only about 1.5 cm to rest against behind it. Do you guys think it matters since we get tape as well?
It sounds like you aren't complying with one of the rules in rule 2.e. Likely your backstop is too small or your dowels are too high (not within 1.0 cm of the bottom of the backstop).
Orpington416 wrote:And, my photo gate dowel is kind of diagonal (it's not perfectly vertical), do you think that it makes a difference?
If I were supervising I would be fine with it. But when mounted, does your dowel extend at least 20.0 cm above the track surface?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Orpington416

Post by Orpington416 »

What type of glue do you think would be strong enough? Also, I checked and it complies with the rules, I just put the dowel up a little high on the wood and was wondering if it mattered.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Orpington416 wrote:What type of glue do you think would be strong enough? Also, I checked and it complies with the rules, I just put the dowel up a little high on the wood and was wondering if it mattered.
Depends on the materials you're bonding. If both are woods typically used in crafts (birch, bass, balsa) then super glue should be sufficient. If not, then perhaps epoxy.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
cemsc10
Division: B
State: OH

Post by cemsc10 »

bernard wrote:
Orpington416 wrote:What type of glue do you think would be strong enough? Also, I checked and it complies with the rules, I just put the dowel up a little high on the wood and was wondering if it mattered.
Depends on the materials you're bonding. If both are woods typically used in crafts (birch, bass, balsa) then super glue should be sufficient. If not, then perhaps epoxy.

Our whole scrambler car was made with superglue and it seems very sturdy.
An disease detective who happens to experiment with meteorology when she is sick of testing her scrambler.
Hayate
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Hayate »

Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I have a spring launcher, it works fine and all but I just want some clarification. The spring we are using is being pulled on even before we release the mass - car has tension on it before launching - is this illegal? If it is we can just change it, but it would be slower.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Hayate wrote:Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I have a spring launcher, it works fine and all but I just want some clarification. The spring we are using is being pulled on even before we release the mass - car has tension on it before launching - is this illegal? If it is we can just change it, but it would be slower.
Yes, your spring should start without any tension; see rule 2.c. Potential energy stored in the spring is propelling your vehicle, so it is currently faster.
SPP SciO
Division: B

Post by SPP SciO »

Hayate wrote:Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I have a spring launcher, it works fine and all but I just want some clarification. The spring we are using is being pulled on even before we release the mass - car has tension on it before launching - is this illegal? If it is we can just change it, but it would be slower.
That's probably not going to work. It was explained to me by Bro. Nigel, whom I believe is a national level supervisor, that there needs to be slack in the string/spring before the mass drops. If you lengthen the string just enough to where it's not taut before launch, you're good.

Also, since the spring will be pulled upward, it's mass will count toward overall potential energy and will need to be included in the sub-2kg total.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

SPP SciO wrote:Also, since the spring will be pulled upward, it's mass will count toward overall potential energy and will need to be included in the sub-2kg total.
This doesn't seem correct; if your have your spring launcher setup like the one pictured in the Scrambler Wiki, part of the spring increases in potential energy. Perhaps I'm missing something here?
Hayate
Division: C

Post by Hayate »

Okay thanks. I never heard about the spring being part of the mass before. Yeah I guess the spring is rising but the rules say any part that decreases in gravitational potential energy is part of mass so wouldn't the spring technically be increasing in that?

Return to “2016 Build Events”