Zioly
Division: B
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by Zioly »

Fanglin wrote:
Zioly wrote:What PSI were they using at NATS 2015? And if I recall, there was no egg portion as there is this year? If there wasn't, how were the tiers graded?
The psi at bats was 60, although the psi last year was always 60 if I recall.
Thanks Fanglin!

Additional question:

How much time do you guys think the egg will dock from a no-egg flight? I estimate 5 seconds.
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
Fanglin
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

Zioly wrote:
Fanglin wrote:
Zioly wrote:What PSI were they using at NATS 2015? And if I recall, there was no egg portion as there is this year? If there wasn't, how were the tiers graded?
The psi at bats was 60, although the psi last year was always 60 if I recall.
Thanks Fanglin!

Additional question:

How much time do you guys think the egg will dock from a no-egg flight? I estimate 5 seconds.
By this, do you mean a flight with this year's rocket without an egg? I would guess about a bit less than last years times, but it's all relative.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
GoatsRCool

Post by GoatsRCool »

kendreaditya wrote:
Fanglin wrote:
Jaol wrote: I believe as soon as the rocket touches the roof the timer should be stopped and that is the time.
I think it's when the rocket actually goes out of view, or stops moving, then the timer stops. If the rocket lands on a roof, or high in a tree, and is unretreavable, they count it as tier two, because they can't tell if the egg has broken or not.
Actually, the team was Good Hope Middle School And they did not medal but because the rocket was stuck on the tree. However, they got it down by shaking the tree.
Thanks for the replies everyone! The team I was talking about ended up getting DQ. My coach said it wouldn't make sense to count the rocket like it landed on the ground because it wouldn't have as much force landing on a roof, like the egg would be less likely to break if it only landded on a roof instead of going all the way to the ground and being faster.
AmericanAvocet

Post by AmericanAvocet »

Hello Everyone,

I have a question for bottle rocket B at states. I got the gold medal with ten and eleven seconds. However, I heard from other teams that they got eleven seconds per rocket.

IF YOU WERE AT DIV. B NY STATES FOR BOTTLE ROCKET, please post your times, i am trying to find out what happened. Thank you.
teoescana-543210

Post by teoescana-543210 »

Hello!
I was wondering what would be more beneficial to add to our rocket in order to increase it's height when fired.
PVC pipe or LED casing?
Simple triangular fins or traditional rocket ones?
Thank you!
Zioly

Post by Zioly »

AmericanAvocet wrote:Hello Everyone,

I have a question for bottle rocket B at states. I got the gold medal with ten and eleven seconds. However, I heard from other teams that they got eleven seconds per rocket.

IF YOU WERE AT DIV. B NY STATES FOR BOTTLE ROCKET, please post your times, i am trying to find out what happened. Thank you.
To be quite honest, I don't think you will get many replies with your required information, however, it's quite obvious to me that the teams that claimed they got higher times than you probably cracked their eggs, therefore placing them in a lower tier, automatically making you superior to them. Anyways, nice job.
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology

SenseiSushi
State: PA

Post by SenseiSushi »

teoescana-543210 wrote:Hello!
I was wondering what would be more beneficial to add to our rocket in order to increase it's height when fired.
PVC pipe or LED casing?
Thank you!
For backsliders (the rods that protrude from the top of the bottle rocket), lighter is usually better so PVC may not work as well as lighter materials. As far as fins go, the optimal shape really depends on the design of your rocket, testing multiple times with different wing shapes will allow you to determine the best wing design.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
Zioly

Post by Zioly »

Sensei_Sushi wrote:
PVC pipe or LED casing?
Thank you!
For backsliders (the rods that protrude from the top of the bottle rocket), lighter is usually better so PVC may not work as well as lighter materials. As far as fins go, the optimal shape really depends on the design of your rocket, testing multiple times with different wing shapes will allow you to determine the best wing design.
I completely agree with Sushi here. I've tested over 10 fin material and shape combinations, and I still haven't found the perfect one! The only way to do well at this event is to test, test, test!
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology

Fanglin
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

Zioly wrote:
Sensei_Sushi wrote:
PVC pipe or LED casing?
Thank you!
I completely agree with Sushi here. I've tested over 10 fin material and shape combinations, and I still haven't found the perfect one! The only way to do well at this event is to test, test, test!
One good material to use, is a garage sale sign... I know that they come from different materials, but you can find some that are kinda like plastic cardboard, which are hollow in the middle. These are really light, and strong, and if you cut them parallel to the "folds" then you can create a streamlined front edge. Also, just to reduce weight, My partner and I got 0.007 (or maybe 0.07 I don't remember) plastic film from an art shop, which you can then cut the back of your completely plastic cardboard fin off, and replace it with plastic film. Sure, it makes the rocket a bit flimsy, but it really trades off for the weight. Make sure to keep the leading edge of the fin strong with a strong material to make the fin sturdy. Also, recently we have gotten small carbon fiber dowels, and have taped/glued them to the top of the fin, so you can extend the fin farther down, making so you can use 0.002 inch film (which is really flimsy) without the fin getting flimsy. What I am getting at, is you basically make a frame for your fin out of carbon fiber dowels, and plastic cardboard, and then just cut a piece of thin plastic film to fill in the inside. Just as an FYI, the 0.002 film fins were 2 grams lighter than the 0.007 inch film fins, even with carbon fiber dowels, and larger surface area.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
Zioly

Post by Zioly »

Fanglin wrote:
Zioly wrote:
Sensei_Sushi wrote:
One good material to use, is a garage sale sign... I know that they come from different materials, but you can find some that are kinda like plastic cardboard, which are hollow in the middle. These are really light, and strong, and if you cut them parallel to the "folds" then you can create a streamlined front edge. Also, just to reduce weight, My partner and I got 0.007 (or maybe 0.07 I don't remember) plastic film from an art shop, which you can then cut the back of your completely plastic cardboard fin off, and replace it with plastic film. Sure, it makes the rocket a bit flimsy, but it really trades off for the weight. Make sure to keep the leading edge of the fin strong with a strong material to make the fin sturdy. Also, recently we have gotten small carbon fiber dowels, and have taped/glued them to the top of the fin, so you can extend the fin farther down, making so you can use 0.002 inch film (which is really flimsy) without the fin getting flimsy. What I am getting at, is you basically make a frame for your fin out of carbon fiber dowels, and plastic cardboard, and then just cut a piece of thin plastic film to fill in the inside. Just as an FYI, the 0.002 film fins were 2 grams lighter than the 0.007 inch film fins, even with carbon fiber dowels, and larger surface area.
Wow, that's quite a fin setup. Since it's only a week til nationals, the material Fanglin is referring to is, I believe, known as corrugated plastic. Very good for slow decents, however it does not allow for the high flights of flimsier sign materials. It seems you have a cross between the two, very nice. If you don't mint me asking, Fanglin, what times with 60 psi are you getting with those hybrid fins? I'm planning to make a set that is also a hybrid, but more the opposite, meaning flimsier reinforced and not stronger a little cut down.
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology

Return to “2016 Build Events”