Bottle Rocket B

Zioly
Division: B
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by Zioly »

What PSI were they using at NATS 2015? And if I recall, there was no egg portion as there is this year? If there wasn't, how were the tiers graded?
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Sensei_Sushi wrote:
Fanglin wrote: Also, has anybody done bottle rockets last year? If so, what were your best times?
Our team's best was around 28 seconds. At nationals I saw some teams getting in the minute range.
The highest score for Nationals was around 25 seconds per launch, with a score of approximately 51.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Fanglin
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

Unome wrote:
Sensei_Sushi wrote:
Fanglin wrote: Also, has anybody done bottle rockets last year? If so, what were your best times?
Our team's best was around 28 seconds. At nationals I saw some teams getting in the minute range.
The highest score for Nationals was around 25 seconds per launch, with a score of approximately 51.
Yeah, I was thinking... one minute is ridiculous! I remember the wind at nationals was crazy, and the field was really large. If the rocket flew for a whole minute, it would have hit the dorms across from the field. My partner and I got ~21 seconds on both launches at nationals, and we got 11th, so such a large margin seems unrealistic.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
gelinasdynamickid

Post by gelinasdynamickid »

I think Sensei_Sushi may have been a combined score xd.

Impressive Fanglin!

I need to up my game
I do oceanography a lot.

I also wish orninthology was an event this year.
GoatsRCool

Post by GoatsRCool »

States was yesterday and our team did really well for our first time! BR was 7th place Yay! Was wondering about something that happened with another teams bottle rocket. It landed on the roof and one of the kids parents went and got it and gave it to the kids. Another team appealed but the roof team got first place. Im confused thought ppl couldnt touch it? Alot of ppl were talking about it and said they should be dq or 2nd tier. Is that true?
Zioly
Division: B
State: WA

Post by Zioly »

GoatsRCool wrote:States was yesterday and our team did really well for our first time! BR was 7th place Yay! Was wondering about something that happened with another teams bottle rocket. It landed on the roof and one of the kids parents went and got it and gave it to the kids. Another team appealed but the roof team got first place. Im confused thought ppl couldnt touch it? Alot of ppl were talking about it and said they should be dq or 2nd tier. Is that true?
No, I'm sure it's 100% legal, as the current rules for 2016 say that the timer stops when it lands somewhere, in this case, a roof, so, if anything, the rest of you guys got an advantage. They must've had a really good rocket to lose a couple of seconds and still get first!
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
Jaol
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Jaol »

GoatsRCool wrote:States was yesterday and our team did really well for our first time! BR was 7th place Yay! Was wondering about something that happened with another teams bottle rocket. It landed on the roof and one of the kids parents went and got it and gave it to the kids. Another team appealed but the roof team got first place. Im confused thought ppl couldnt touch it? Alot of ppl were talking about it and said they should be dq or 2nd tier. Is that true?
I believe as soon as the rocket touches the roof the timer should be stopped and that is the time.
Fanglin

Post by Fanglin »

Jaol wrote:
I believe as soon as the rocket touches the roof the timer should be stopped and that is the time.
I think it's when the rocket actually goes out of view, or stops moving, then the timer stops. If the rocket lands on a roof, or high in a tree, and is unretreavable, they count it as tier two, because they can't tell if the egg has broken or not.

2016 Nats:

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
Fanglin

Post by Fanglin »

Zioly wrote:What PSI were they using at NATS 2015? And if I recall, there was no egg portion as there is this year? If there wasn't, how were the tiers graded?
The psi at bats was 60, although the psi last year was always 60 if I recall.

2016 Nats:

Former Cheesehead
kendreaditya
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

Fanglin wrote:
Jaol wrote:
I think it's when the rocket actually goes out of view, or stops moving, then the timer stops. If the rocket lands on a roof, or high in a tree, and is unretreavable, they count it as tier two, because they can't tell if the egg has broken or not.
Actually, the team was Good Hope Middle School And they did not medal but because the rocket was stuck on the tree. However, they got it down by shaking the tree.

Return to “2016 Build Events”