State: TX

Bio-Process Lab B

Postby robotman » August 22nd, 2015, 2:42 pm

Jaol
Division: C
State: GA

Bio-Process Lab B

Postby Jaol » December 4th, 2015, 1:22 pm

So I just took a practice BPL test with my Hooch partner. I checked the answers afterwards and one of the answers was 70 calories. If you were checking the test and I put .070kcal would you grade that as correct?
Countdown: 66 Days

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Postby bernard » December 29th, 2015, 12:37 am

Jaol wrote:So I just took a practice BPL test with my Hooch partner. I checked the answers afterwards and one of the answers was 70 calories. If you were checking the test and I put .070kcal would you grade that as correct?

Yes.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Unome

Postby Unome » December 29th, 2015, 7:22 am

Jaol wrote:So I just took a practice BPL test with my Hooch partner. I checked the answers afterwards and one of the answers was 70 calories. If you were checking the test and I put .070kcal would you grade that as correct?

It was 70 food calories, so it would actually be 70 kilocalories.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

8100cougars
State: -

Postby 8100cougars » January 5th, 2016, 1:45 pm

nothing on here

Unome

Postby Unome » January 5th, 2016, 1:51 pm

8100cougars wrote:nothing on here

I'm sort of surprised by that; once you understand it, the event isn't that complicated, but it takes a while to get to the understanding phase, so I expected there to be some questions.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

8100cougars
State: -

Postby 8100cougars » January 5th, 2016, 2:13 pm

oh ok

Kuttan
Division: B
State: MI

Postby Kuttan » January 6th, 2016, 6:18 pm

Unome wrote:
8100cougars wrote:nothing on here

I'm sort of surprised by that; once you understand it, the event isn't that complicated, but it takes a while to get to the understanding phase, so I expected there to be some questions.

Maybe most of the people who are in it this year were in it last year (like me) or have a partner that was in it last year (like my partner).
Bio-Process Lab/Food Science/Green Generation
Great Lakes Invitational (L'Anse Creuse High School)-2/2/5

Jaol

Postby Jaol » January 10th, 2016, 8:10 am

In Tennessee for FCS Invitational I had a Dichotomous Key to answer for a station and it was on insect families. That was one thing we failed on. Any tips to get faster?
Countdown: 66 Days

Kuttan

Postby Kuttan » January 22nd, 2016, 4:05 pm

Since there are 2 pages for this, I'm going to post it in both.

For question 50 in John Richardsim's test on the exchange (which is a good test-go try it out!), what other answers could be given?
Bio-Process Lab/Food Science/Green Generation
Great Lakes Invitational (L'Anse Creuse High School)-2/2/5

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby John Richardsim » January 22nd, 2016, 8:18 pm

Kuttan wrote:Since there are 2 pages for this, I'm going to post it in both.

For question 50 in John Richardsim's test on the exchange (which is a good test-go try it out!), what other answers could be given?

Well, that answer given in the answer key would probably be the best answer, as it wouldn't need other materials and is relatively simple, but if you described a scenario in which a different container was used and the empty container mass was subtracted from the mass of the container with the solution I would accept it. Another option might be placing a different container on a balance and taring/zeroing the balance, and then pouring the solution into that container. These are just some of the ideas I've had, but this just feels like something where there is more acceptable answers I just haven't thought of.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

irishfeet123
State: MD

Postby irishfeet123 » February 12th, 2016, 1:46 pm

On a test, I don't know which, but there was a question with reading a food label. I am also on Food Science, so I knew how many calories/gram there are in fat, protein, and carbohydrates. I used that knowledge as a shortcut, but got the wrong answer because their numbers were obviously made up and they wanted you to calculate the total number of calories and then take the percentage, and bla blah blah where you didn't need to know how many kcal/g there were in fat. Soo...I hope that doesn't happen at the competition.
2016 Div B Team A Pilgrimage Homeschool
BioLab-7/7
ExD-1/1
WIDI-6/1
DD-7/8
FS-6/1
CB-4/3
Regionals/States

Unome

Postby Unome » February 15th, 2016, 6:50 am

irishfeet123 wrote:On a test, I don't know which, but there was a question with reading a food label. I am also on Food Science, so I knew how many calories/gram there are in fat, protein, and carbohydrates. I used that knowledge as a shortcut, but got the wrong answer because their numbers were obviously made up and they wanted you to calculate the total number of calories and then take the percentage, and bla blah blah where you didn't need to know how many kcal/g there were in fat. Soo...I hope that doesn't happen at the competition.

A good event supervisor will intentionally make up data so that you have to read it to get the right answer (then again, I don't know much about event supervisors in Maryland). I'd suggest you don't use prior knowledge in most cases for this event unless you absolutely have to.
Userpage

irishfeet123
State: MD

Postby irishfeet123 » February 16th, 2016, 8:44 am

Unome wrote:
irishfeet123 wrote:On a test, I don't know which, but there was a question with reading a food label. I am also on Food Science, so I knew how many calories/gram there are in fat, protein, and carbohydrates. I used that knowledge as a shortcut, but got the wrong answer because their numbers were obviously made up and they wanted you to calculate the total number of calories and then take the percentage, and bla blah blah where you didn't need to know how many kcal/g there were in fat. Soo...I hope that doesn't happen at the competition.

A good event supervisor will intentionally make up data so that you have to read it to get the right answer (then again, I don't know much about event supervisors in Maryland). I'd suggest you don't use prior knowledge in most cases for this event unless you absolutely have to.

oooh thanks, that will probably be helpful in the future ;)
2016 Div B Team A Pilgrimage Homeschool
BioLab-7/7
ExD-1/1
WIDI-6/1
DD-7/8
FS-6/1
CB-4/3
Regionals/States

hmath729
State: CA

Postby hmath729 » April 3rd, 2016, 7:48 am

Wow, this subforum is dead.

How often (from your experience) does the test include metric to standard conversion stuff and vice-versa?
Go HVS Dolphins!
"You don't beat the tests. The tests beat you!"
Medals (10 total) Inv./Reg./State
Anat. -/4th/-
BPL 1st!/1st!/-
DD. -(9th)/1st!/-
Anat. -(8th)/4th/-
BPL 2nd!/5th/-
DD -(9th)/4th/-
Anat. -(8th)/5th/-
DD -(9th)/5th/-
Heredity -(7th)/-(7th)/-