texas
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Post by texas »

Unome wrote:
texas wrote:This subforum is very, very dead. But whatever.

Here's a link to a good resource for Bio-Process Lab. It's a handbook that has explains and gives practice exercises for every topic in BPL, plus it has 4 practice tests: http://www.easttroy.k12.wi.us/faculty/s ... s-Text.pdf

Tips for Bio-Process Lab:
-Please don't glue notes to your note sheet. I know it sounds really stupid, you're probably thinking ' why would anyone do that, that's breaking the rules, any normal proctor would bust them ' , but believe me, I've seen people getting disqualified for this, or, if the proctor was nice, having to throw away their notes.
-Most of BPL is fundamental math and science that you just have to apply to different situations, so make sure you know your basics.
-Some topics that are extremely important to learn for BPL are: interpreting the nutrition facts on food labels (this is pretty much basic math, but, like I said earlier, you need to apply it), using and making dichotomous keys, being able to identify most lab tools and knowing what situations they can be used for, interpreting pedigree charts (for example knowing their inheritance patterns, here is a good link for that: http://www.bogari.net/Bogari/Medical_Ge ... itance.pdf), parts of a microscope (including its magnifications) and knowing how to use a microscope (compound and stereo/dissecting), population density and ecological analysis, metric and customary units and conversions (mostly metric though), observations vs. inferences, genetics (including phenotype and genotype ratios), indicators(Lugol's Iodine Solution, bromothymol blue, Benedict's solution, etc.), and graph analysis. There are more important topics to cover, but you can find them all in the handbook I gave a link to.
-
Nice tips. Following this and getting good at going fast is probably enough to medal at Nationals (based on experience from 2015). The highlighting makes it hard to read though; I'd suggest bolding instead.
Thanks Unome :) . I'm only in sixth grade, and my team hasn't been to nationals yet (I hope it happens someday, though :D ).
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
texas

Post by texas »

Does anyone know if Bio-Process Lab will be an event in the 2016-2017 season?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

texas wrote:Does anyone know if Bio-Process Lab will be an event in the 2016-2017 season?
The tentative list can be found here. In Division B, Bio-Process Lab rotates out for Microbe Mission, which should rotate out for Heredity in 2018-2019. In 2020-2021, Cell Biology will rotate in to Div C.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
texas

Post by texas »

Wait, so NO BIO-PROCESS LAB NEXT YEAR?????!!!!! :o :o :o my life is over :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Well at least there's Dynamic Planet (a few more sniffles)
texas

Post by texas »

texas wrote:Wait, so NO BIO-PROCESS LAB NEXT YEAR?????!!!!! :o :o :o my life is over :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Well at least there's Dynamic Planet (a few more sniffles)
I think I overreacted a bit up there, didn't I?

Return to “2016 Lab Events”