John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bio-Process Lab B

Post by John Richardsim »

Kuttan wrote:Since there are 2 pages for this, I'm going to post it in both.

For question 50 in John Richardsim's test on the exchange (which is a good test-go try it out!), what other answers could be given?
Well, that answer given in the answer key would probably be the best answer, as it wouldn't need other materials and is relatively simple, but if you described a scenario in which a different container was used and the empty container mass was subtracted from the mass of the container with the solution I would accept it. Another option might be placing a different container on a balance and taring/zeroing the balance, and then pouring the solution into that container. These are just some of the ideas I've had, but this just feels like something where there is more acceptable answers I just haven't thought of.
irishfeet123
Division: B
State: MD
Been thanked: 0

Post by irishfeet123 »

On a test, I don't know which, but there was a question with reading a food label. I am also on Food Science, so I knew how many calories/gram there are in fat, protein, and carbohydrates. I used that knowledge as a shortcut, but got the wrong answer because their numbers were obviously made up and they wanted you to calculate the total number of calories and then take the percentage, and bla blah blah where you didn't need to know how many kcal/g there were in fat. Soo...I hope that doesn't happen at the competition.
2016 Div B Team A Pilgrimage Homeschool
BioLab-7/7
ExD-1/1
WIDI-6/1
DD-7/8
FS-6/1
CB-4/3
Regionals/States
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

irishfeet123 wrote:On a test, I don't know which, but there was a question with reading a food label. I am also on Food Science, so I knew how many calories/gram there are in fat, protein, and carbohydrates. I used that knowledge as a shortcut, but got the wrong answer because their numbers were obviously made up and they wanted you to calculate the total number of calories and then take the percentage, and bla blah blah where you didn't need to know how many kcal/g there were in fat. Soo...I hope that doesn't happen at the competition.
A good event supervisor will intentionally make up data so that you have to read it to get the right answer (then again, I don't know much about event supervisors in Maryland). I'd suggest you don't use prior knowledge in most cases for this event unless you absolutely have to.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
irishfeet123
State: MD

Post by irishfeet123 »

Unome wrote:
irishfeet123 wrote:On a test, I don't know which, but there was a question with reading a food label. I am also on Food Science, so I knew how many calories/gram there are in fat, protein, and carbohydrates. I used that knowledge as a shortcut, but got the wrong answer because their numbers were obviously made up and they wanted you to calculate the total number of calories and then take the percentage, and bla blah blah where you didn't need to know how many kcal/g there were in fat. Soo...I hope that doesn't happen at the competition.
A good event supervisor will intentionally make up data so that you have to read it to get the right answer (then again, I don't know much about event supervisors in Maryland). I'd suggest you don't use prior knowledge in most cases for this event unless you absolutely have to.
oooh thanks, that will probably be helpful in the future ;)
2016 Div B Team A Pilgrimage Homeschool
BioLab-7/7
ExD-1/1
WIDI-6/1
DD-7/8
FS-6/1
CB-4/3
Regionals/States
hmath729
Division: C
State: CA

Post by hmath729 »

Wow, this subforum is dead.

How often (from your experience) does the test include metric to standard conversion stuff and vice-versa?
Go HVS Dolphins!
"You don't beat the tests. The tests beat you!"
Medals (10 total) Inv./Reg./State
Anat. -/4th/-
BPL 1st!/1st!/-
DD. -(9th)/1st!/-
Anat. -(8th)/4th/-
BPL 2nd!/5th/-
DD -(9th)/4th/-
Anat. -(8th)/5th/-
DD -(9th)/5th/-
Heredity -(7th)/-(7th)/-
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

hmath729 wrote:Wow, this subforum is dead.

How often (from your experience) does the test include metric to standard conversion stuff and vice-versa?
Almost never. I put a graph of metric to English in my notes just in case.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Metric to standard I haven't seen that often, but it doesn't take much effort to learn, so I did anyway.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Terbin73

Post by Terbin73 »

Unome wrote:

Metric to standard I haven't seen that often, but it doesn't take much effort to learn, so I did anyway.
Even though I do not see this on my tests often, I still make sure to go over it because 1) Easy to learn 2) You never know what's gonna be on a test.
texas
State: TX

Post by texas »

This subforum is very, very dead. But whatever.

Here's a link to a good resource for Bio-Process Lab. It's a handbook that has explains and gives practice exercises for every topic in BPL, plus it has 4 practice tests: http://www.easttroy.k12.wi.us/faculty/s ... s-Text.pdf

Tips for Bio-Process Lab:
-Please don't glue notes to your note sheet. I know it sounds really stupid, you're probably thinking ' why would anyone do that, that's breaking the rules, any normal proctor would bust them ' , but believe me, I've seen people getting disqualified for this, or, if the proctor was nice, having to throw away their notes.
-Most of BPL is fundamental math and science that you just have to apply to different situations, so make sure you know your basics.
-Some topics that are extremely important to learn for BPL are: interpreting the nutrition facts on food labels (this is pretty much basic math, but, like I said earlier, you need to apply it), using and making dichotomous keys, being able to identify most lab tools and knowing what situations they can be used for, interpreting pedigree charts (for example knowing their inheritance patterns, here is a good link for that: [/color]http://www.bogari.net/Bogari/Medical_Ge ... itance.pdf)[/color], parts of a microscope (including its magnifications) and knowing how to use a microscope (compound and stereo/dissecting), population density and ecological analysis, metric and customary units and conversions (mostly metric though), observations vs. inferences, genetics (including phenotype and genotype ratios), indicators (Lugol's Iodine Solution, bromothymol blue, Benedict's solution, etc.), and graph analysis. There are more important topics to cover, but you can find them all in the handbook I gave a link to.

EDIT: If anyone can find a newer version of the handbook, please PM me or post the link on this forum (the handbook is from 2008, but to tell you the truth, Bio-Process Lab covers pretty much the same info every year).
Last edited by texas on June 24th, 2016, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
Unome

Post by Unome »

texas wrote:This subforum is very, very dead. But whatever.

Here's a link to a good resource for Bio-Process Lab. It's a handbook that has explains and gives practice exercises for every topic in BPL, plus it has 4 practice tests: http://www.easttroy.k12.wi.us/faculty/s ... s-Text.pdf

Tips for Bio-Process Lab:
-Please don't glue notes to your note sheet. I know it sounds really stupid, you're probably thinking ' why would anyone do that, that's breaking the rules, any normal proctor would bust them ' , but believe me, I've seen people getting disqualified for this, or, if the proctor was nice, having to throw away their notes.
-Most of BPL is fundamental math and science that you just have to apply to different situations, so make sure you know your basics.
-Some topics that are extremely important to learn for BPL are: interpreting the nutrition facts on food labels (this is pretty much basic math, but, like I said earlier, you need to apply it), using and making dichotomous keys, being able to identify most lab tools and knowing what situations they can be used for, interpreting pedigree charts (for example knowing their inheritance patterns, here is a good link for that: http://www.bogari.net/Bogari/Medical_Ge ... itance.pdf), parts of a microscope (including its magnifications) and knowing how to use a microscope (compound and stereo/dissecting), population density and ecological analysis, metric and customary units and conversions (mostly metric though), observations vs. inferences, genetics (including phenotype and genotype ratios), indicators(Lugol's Iodine Solution, bromothymol blue, Benedict's solution, etc.), and graph analysis. There are more important topics to cover, but you can find them all in the handbook I gave a link to.
-
Nice tips. Following this and getting good at going fast is probably enough to medal at Nationals (based on experience from 2015). The highlighting makes it hard to read though; I'd suggest bolding instead.
texas wrote:people getting disqualified for this, or, if the proctor was nice, having to throw away their notes.
TBT to the early days...
Userpage

Return to “2016 Lab Events”