Division: Grad
State: TX

Crime Busters B

Postby robotman » August 22nd, 2015, 2:47 pm

hzhang07
State: -

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby hzhang07 » September 6th, 2015, 10:25 pm

Hi. I had a question for plastics because on the wiki it says that PP is not translucent, but on soinc.org's info, it says that PP is translucent. Does anyone know which it is?

Thanks. :D

ampy1234567
Division: C
State: MN

Postby ampy1234567 » September 7th, 2015, 9:33 am

hzhang07 wrote:Hi. I had a question for plastics because on the wiki it says that PP is not translucent, but on soinc.org's info, it says that PP is translucent. Does anyone know which it is?

Fairly sure it's translucent from an online search. While writing notes I've seen that scioly and soinc don't always agree on everything (for example, metal reactions to HCl), so if that happens either ask someone who's done this event before or just google it.
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)

Panda Weasley

Postby Panda Weasley » September 7th, 2015, 11:46 am

hzhang07 wrote:Hi. I had a question for plastics because on the wiki it says that PP is not translucent, but on soinc.org's info, it says that PP is translucent. Does anyone know which it is?

Thanks. :D

Different people have different ideas of what translucent looks like. Something that looks translucent to you may look more opaque to me. Because of this I would recommend getting a sample of PP (as well as everything else) and seeing what it looks like to you. Also, keep in mind with plastics that they can look different depending on the sample.
I hope this helped!
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

retired1
State: FL

Postby retired1 » September 7th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Normal PP is barely translucent, especially in thicker sections.
Although it is not as common, you can find PP that is transparent to the point of almost clear.
PP can be bought in colors also and it is opaque.
So you see that you have a number of choices. You might want to go online and look at the catalogue from US plastics for more information.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » September 7th, 2015, 1:31 pm

retired1 wrote:Normal PP is barely translucent, especially in thicker sections.
Although it is not as common, you can find PP that is transparent to the point of almost clear.
PP can be bought in colors also and it is opaque.
So you see that you have a number of choices. You might want to go online and look at the catalogue from US plastics for more information.

This matches my findings from some searching yesterday. PP is transparent when cooled quicker than it can crystallize.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Golden Viper
Division: B
State: NY

Crime Busters

Postby Golden Viper » October 13th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Hi guys, quick question, I was wondering what tests were given to the "Crime Busters" from last year. I tried to look on Google, but it gaves me random reasearch about the WHOLE event, which dosen't discuss the tests that are going to be used in theevent, if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it A LOT! :D

samlan16
State: TN

Re: Crime Busters

Postby samlan16 » October 13th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Golden Viper wrote:Hi guys, quick question, I was wondering what tests were given to the "Crime Busters" from last year. I tried to look on Google, but it gaves me random reasearch about the WHOLE event, which dosen't discuss the tests that are going to be used in theevent, if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it A LOT! :D

If by tests you mean powders, liquids, metals, etc., nothing changed, and you should be able to find information on soinc.org. If you mean tournament tests, there are plenty available in the test exchange from several years.
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

Golden Viper
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Crime Busters

Postby Golden Viper » October 15th, 2015, 12:10 pm

samlan16 wrote:
Golden Viper wrote:Hi guys, quick question, I was wondering what tests were given to the "Crime Busters" from last year. I tried to look on Google, but it gaves me random reasearch about the WHOLE event, which dosen't discuss the tests that are going to be used in theevent, if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it A LOT! :D

If by tests you mean powders, liquids, metals, etc., nothing changed, and you should be able to find information on soinc.org. If you mean tournament tests, there are plenty available in the test exchange from several years.

Thx A LOT! :D :D :D :D

whovian11

Postby whovian11 » October 23rd, 2015, 5:53 pm

I don't. does anyone know what the competition it going to be like this year? I'm new.

whovian11

Postby whovian11 » October 23rd, 2015, 5:56 pm

I meant, 'I don't know'. sorry. :|

ampy1234567
State: MN

Postby ampy1234567 » October 23rd, 2015, 7:21 pm

Okay I might be bit off as a newb to scioly but I'm purdy sure that basically...

1. You get a paper test at the beginning on the event. The whole test will be about a situation where somebody committed a crime and you have to figure out who dun it.
2. Probably the event sup will talk about safety and stuff. Counts for time really you'll be getting less than 50 minutes.
3. You'll get a bunch of actual samples of hairs and fibers and powders and stuff at your station place to look at and analyze and ID as evidence, but stuff like fingerprints will be on the test itself.
4. You'll have to do a paper chromatography during the test to identify pens and stuff. I'd recommend having one person set it up early on because it does take quite a bit of time.
5. At the end, you'll write an analysis/essay of who you think committed the crime. Make sure you provide evidence for your claim as that's like 80% or the analysis score.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your question.
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)

samlan16
State: TN

Postby samlan16 » October 23rd, 2015, 9:04 pm

ampy1234567 wrote:Okay I might be bit off as a newb to scioly but I'm purdy sure that basically...

1. You get a paper test at the beginning on the event. The whole test will be about a situation where somebody committed a crime and you have to figure out who dun it.
2. Probably the event sup will talk about safety and stuff. Counts for time really you'll be getting less than 50 minutes.
3. You'll get a bunch of actual samples of hairs and fibers and powders and stuff at your station place to look at and analyze and ID as evidence, but stuff like fingerprints will be on the test itself.
4. You'll have to do a paper chromatography during the test to identify pens and stuff. I'd recommend having one person set it up early on because it does take quite a bit of time.
5. At the end, you'll write an analysis/essay of who you think committed the crime. Make sure you provide evidence for your claim as that's like 80% or the analysis score.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your question.

You will also get liquids, metals, soil, and possibly DNA. Not to mention footprints, but that is matching.

If possible, look at your coach's rules, and compile a full list of everything you could get. I can't post them here for legal reasons, but they are more detailed than I could possibly be.
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

whovian11

Postby whovian11 » October 24th, 2015, 11:14 am

does anyone know how to print out something from this site? or do you have to go to another site? thx

whovian11

Postby whovian11 » October 24th, 2015, 11:17 am

thx for your answers. :D

Return to “2016 Lab Events”