Crime Busters B

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Panda Weasley »

samlan16 wrote:
PrincessRibbons wrote:I have yet another question: If we can bring 5 pages of info, is that in pages or sheets? Do we count front and back as one, or front as one and back as another? :D
Sheets. The front and back count as one sheet.

Also, I think Panda was (maybe) confused about the distilled water- that is provided and has been for at least the past 6-7 years.
Oops, sorry! I sometimes forget that my state doesn't always follow the national rules. I definitely remember bringing my own water 3 years ago, though.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
evasiveatom
Been thanked: 0

Post by evasiveatom »

where do I get plastics for testing
Eggo
State: CA

Post by Eggo »

evasiveatom wrote:where do I get plastics for testing
This website has an excellent kit, as well as demonstrations of how to use the plastics.

https://members.4spe.org/eweb/DynamicPa ... FF3FDC1FAD
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51
SenseiSushi
State: PA

Post by SenseiSushi »

evasiveatom wrote:where do I get plastics for testing
Almost every object made from plastic has its SPI code stamped into it. You may want to collect a bunch of plastic bottles of different classifications and cut them up to create small pellets to use for tests.

This is what SPI codes look like:

Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
KS_1618
Division: B
State: NJ

Crime Busters B - Chromatography

Post by KS_1618 »

I just had a question regarding chromatography for Crime Busters B; I haven't done this event at Regionals or States, so I'm somewhat inexperienced. I was practicing chromatography at home, and realized that drawing a line using the ink given for each of the suspects was more effective than simply placing a dot of the ink on the chromatography paper. Although the RF values and the distances traveled by the mobile and stationary phases is the same regardless of whether the ink is present in a line or a dot, I wanted to make sure that using a line was permissible. Would using a line, rather than a dot, be permissible at the National level competition? Additionally, do you all have any tips about Crime Busters in general?

Thanks.
Panda Weasley

Re: Crime Busters B - Chromatography

Post by Panda Weasley »

KS_1618 wrote:I just had a question regarding chromatography for Crime Busters B; I haven't done this event at Regionals or States, so I'm somewhat inexperienced. I was practicing chromatography at home, and realized that drawing a line using the ink given for each of the suspects was more effective than simply placing a dot of the ink on the chromatography paper. Although the RF values and the distances traveled by the mobile and stationary phases is the same regardless of whether the ink is present in a line or a dot, I wanted to make sure that using a line was permissible. Would using a line, rather than a dot, be permissible at the National level competition? Additionally, do you all have any tips about Crime Busters in general?

Thanks.
I have always used a line and while I have never been to Nats I see no reason for it not being allowed. To my knowledge there is no rule about how you perform your chromatography tests. As far as general advice goes, practice, practice, practice. The more you practice the quicker and easier things will be. Also make sure to save enough time for the analysis at the end of the test. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Crime Busters B - Chromatography

Post by samlan16 »

Panda Weasley wrote:
KS_1618 wrote:I just had a question regarding chromatography for Crime Busters B; I haven't done this event at Regionals or States, so I'm somewhat inexperienced. I was practicing chromatography at home, and realized that drawing a line using the ink given for each of the suspects was more effective than simply placing a dot of the ink on the chromatography paper. Although the RF values and the distances traveled by the mobile and stationary phases is the same regardless of whether the ink is present in a line or a dot, I wanted to make sure that using a line was permissible. Would using a line, rather than a dot, be permissible at the National level competition? Additionally, do you all have any tips about Crime Busters in general?

Thanks.
I have always used a line and while I have never been to Nats I see no reason for it not being allowed. To my knowledge there is no rule about how you perform your chromatography tests. As far as general advice goes, practice, practice, practice. The more you practice the quicker and easier things will be. Also make sure to save enough time for the analysis at the end of the test. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
I can confirm that there is no such rule. Have fun.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
KSSOISLIT
State: KS

Post by KSSOISLIT »

I read that the same supervisor has run this event for a while at Nationals, so does anyone know what to expect on the test?
Olathe North High School
[b]Past Events:[/b] Anatomy, Bridges, Crime Busters, ELG, Helicopters, Mission Possible, Towers
[b]2019 Events:[/b] Boom, Fermi, Forensics, Protein, Wright Stuff
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

KSSOISLIT wrote:I read that the same supervisor has run this event for a while at Nationals, so does anyone know what to expect on the test?
I believe said event supervisor (Scott Holdren) no longer runs the event (not certain though).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
SenseiSushi
State: PA

Post by SenseiSushi »

KSSOISLIT wrote:I read that the same supervisor has run this event for a while at Nationals, so does anyone know what to expect on the test?
In my experience, the national tests incorporate almost everything that is included in the Crime Busters "syllabus" (powders, metals, liquids, chromatography, fiber analysis, hair analysis, etc.) One part of the nationals test that was new to me was the use of a crime scene sketch (a diagram showing the location of the unknowns found in the crime scene). The diagram is intended to help accuse a suspect.
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st

Return to “2016 Lab Events”