Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
hzhang07
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by hzhang07 »

Hi. I had a question for plastics because on the wiki it says that PP is not translucent, but on soinc.org's info, it says that PP is translucent. Does anyone know which it is?

Thanks. :D
ampy1234567
Division: C
State: MN

Post by ampy1234567 »

hzhang07 wrote:Hi. I had a question for plastics because on the wiki it says that PP is not translucent, but on soinc.org's info, it says that PP is translucent. Does anyone know which it is?
Fairly sure it's translucent from an online search. While writing notes I've seen that scioly and soinc don't always agree on everything (for example, metal reactions to HCl), so if that happens either ask someone who's done this event before or just google it.
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)
Panda Weasley
Division: C

Post by Panda Weasley »

hzhang07 wrote:Hi. I had a question for plastics because on the wiki it says that PP is not translucent, but on soinc.org's info, it says that PP is translucent. Does anyone know which it is?

Thanks. :D
Different people have different ideas of what translucent looks like. Something that looks translucent to you may look more opaque to me. Because of this I would recommend getting a sample of PP (as well as everything else) and seeing what it looks like to you. Also, keep in mind with plastics that they can look different depending on the sample.
I hope this helped!
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Normal PP is barely translucent, especially in thicker sections.
Although it is not as common, you can find PP that is transparent to the point of almost clear.
PP can be bought in colors also and it is opaque.
So you see that you have a number of choices. You might want to go online and look at the catalogue from US plastics for more information.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

retired1 wrote:Normal PP is barely translucent, especially in thicker sections.
Although it is not as common, you can find PP that is transparent to the point of almost clear.
PP can be bought in colors also and it is opaque.
So you see that you have a number of choices. You might want to go online and look at the catalogue from US plastics for more information.
This matches my findings from some searching yesterday. PP is transparent when cooled quicker than it can crystallize.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Golden Viper
Division: B
State: NY

Crime Busters

Post by Golden Viper »

Hi guys, quick question, I was wondering what tests were given to the "Crime Busters" from last year. I tried to look on Google, but it gaves me random reasearch about the WHOLE event, which dosen't discuss the tests that are going to be used in theevent, if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it A LOT! :D
samlan16
State: GA

Re: Crime Busters

Post by samlan16 »

Golden Viper wrote:Hi guys, quick question, I was wondering what tests were given to the "Crime Busters" from last year. I tried to look on Google, but it gaves me random reasearch about the WHOLE event, which dosen't discuss the tests that are going to be used in theevent, if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it A LOT! :D
If by tests you mean powders, liquids, metals, etc., nothing changed, and you should be able to find information on soinc.org. If you mean tournament tests, there are plenty available in the test exchange from several years.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Golden Viper
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Crime Busters

Post by Golden Viper »

samlan16 wrote:
Golden Viper wrote:Hi guys, quick question, I was wondering what tests were given to the "Crime Busters" from last year. I tried to look on Google, but it gaves me random reasearch about the WHOLE event, which dosen't discuss the tests that are going to be used in theevent, if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it A LOT! :D
If by tests you mean powders, liquids, metals, etc., nothing changed, and you should be able to find information on soinc.org. If you mean tournament tests, there are plenty available in the test exchange from several years.
Thx A LOT! :D :D :D :D
whovian11

Post by whovian11 »

I don't. does anyone know what the competition it going to be like this year? I'm new.

Return to “2016 Lab Events”