Experimental Design B/C

samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by samlan16 »

maxxxxx wrote:
nghtlrk wrote:Ayo, just a quick question - what should a "condensed data table with most important information" look like? We already have a table for all results from all trials, so should the "condensed" table simply be one with averages?
The condensed table should just be the averages of your trials. Make sure you keep it separate from the main table, and also include sample calculations. If you do it wrong it's an easy way to lose a few points.
An addition to what I said earlier: if you have to calculate some data (like period from frequency), make a second table with that data, THEN make the table of averages with that.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Eureka314
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by Eureka314 »

On the rubric, under procedures, what do they mean by "repeated trials"? Like how would you include that in the procedure?
2019 Events: Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, Fossils
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Eureka314 wrote:On the rubric, under procedures, what do they mean by "repeated trials"? Like how would you include that in the procedure?
After explaining how to do a trial, say "repeat steps x-y with (insert level of IV)". I don't do procedure so that may not be as technical as they want it to be.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

maxxxxx wrote:
Eureka314 wrote:On the rubric, under procedures, what do they mean by "repeated trials"? Like how would you include that in the procedure?
After explaining how to do a trial, say "repeat steps x-y with (insert level of IV)". I don't do procedure so that may not be as technical as they want it to be.
That's pretty much it. Make sure that you say repeat.
Eureka314

Post by Eureka314 »

Are there any specific calculator restrictions? Like are ti-89's allowed?
2019 Events: Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, Fossils
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

Eureka314 wrote:Are there any specific calculator restrictions? Like are ti-89's allowed?
Rule 2 says any calculator is allowed, so yes. Just note that calculators on phones or the likes are not allowed per the general rules.
mvxesque
State: CA

Post by mvxesque »

What exactly do you usually put for "Example calculations?"

We usually do the average statistics: mean, median, mode, range, standard deviation, and we put them under "Statistics", and it usually works out fine.
Though, at one invitational, they docked us because sample calculations are supposed to go under "Quantitative Data."
There's not really much use for them (par mean) under Quantitative Data, so we're a little confused. Thanks!
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

mvxesque wrote:What exactly do you usually put for "Example calculations?"

We usually do the average statistics: mean, median, mode, range, standard deviation, and we put them under "Statistics", and it usually works out fine.
Though, at one invitational, they docked us because sample calculations are supposed to go under "Quantitative Data."
There's not really much use for them (par mean) under Quantitative Data, so we're a little confused. Thanks!
I've never had any problem doing it that way. The ES probably took off points for that for everybody because I'm sure everybody does it that way. It probably isn't a real problem but if you have extra time then maybe you can try to fit the example calculations in quantitative data.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

mvxesque wrote:What exactly do you usually put for "Example calculations?"

It's sounds like you did the statistics correctly to me. It's possible that your event leader was a little confused about what goes where. I wouldn't worry about it. ;)
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
watermydoing14
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

Has anyone ever gotten a chem-related prompt? I have a feeling we will be given chemicals at State, and I want to know the best way to design an experiment for that
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!

Return to “2016 Lab Events”