Food Science B

Person
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Food Science B

Post by Person »

My friends that are in Food Science said they had that situation too, and only got some to form by using an extreme amount of vinegar.
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
irishfeet123
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by irishfeet123 »

To my knowledge, you're supposed to wait a few minutes for the curds to form, but even so, the least vinegar we've had to use was about 18 ml. So yes, we've been having that problem too. :P
2016 Div B Team A Pilgrimage Homeschool
BioLab-7/7
ExD-1/1
WIDI-6/1
DD-7/8
FS-6/1
CB-4/3
Regionals/States
dogy2011

Post by dogy2011 »

Where did you guys find the container for making butter? We searched bed bath and beyond and the container store. I just can't seem to find the bottle. Could anyone let me know where they got theirs? Thanks, the illuminati will forever be in your favor ;)
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

dogy2011 wrote:Where did you guys find the container for making butter? We searched bed bath and beyond and the container store. I just can't seem to find the bottle. Could anyone let me know where they got theirs?
You can use any water bottle as long as you can screw it closed. No need to buy a $20 one from The Container Store- just grab one out of the recycling bin.
Thanks, the illuminati will forever be in your favor ;)
Bruh...
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
teoescana-543210

Post by teoescana-543210 »

Hello, I am also new to Food Science. We have all the food done and our notes sheet, but since we have to take a picture of each of our items, I was wondering if there is any specific way they want the picture. Do they need top view, side view, any specific position? In addition, for the "Results" portion on our test for, are we just supposed to say things like:
"This ice cream took longer to freeze " (obvs. not the real thing)
and in our analysis explain all the points in our results?
Apologies for the long-winded question
Any help is much appreciated!!!
Thank you!!
teoescana-543210

Last question- What would an example of an independent and dependent variable be? My partner and I are arguing over whether or not we did it right... We used different types of milk (half and half, whole, and cream) for two experiments, and then different types of cream (heavy, light, half and half) for the curds. Would this be allowed?
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

teoescana-543210 wrote:Last question- What would an example of an independent and dependent variable be? My partner and I are arguing over whether or not we did it right... We used different types of milk (half and half, whole, and cream) for two experiments, and then different types of cream (heavy, light, half and half) for the curds. Would this be allowed?
Welcome to the forums! If you need to post another question but no one has replied to a previous post of yours, please edit that post and put the question there.

Wrto the pictures, there is no specific view they require, but I would recommend getting the whole dairy product in the picture. It is also advisable to show your measurement of the product (i.e. hold a ruler up to measure the height of your ice cream towers or place your curds/butter on a scale) and label the trial somehow in the picture. A Post-It with the trial's specs would suffice.

Your analysis should explain your data. Include comparisons of all trials to each other, and state a general trend. Your general trend should not be like the one stated earlier but more like "as the ice cream was shaken for longer periods of time, the height of the ice cream tower increased." This would also be a good place to explain why you might have any outliers and connect your experiment to dairy science principles.

An independent variable is the variable that you change, whereas the dependent variable is the variable that is changed by the IV. Your dependent variables should advisably be mass of produced butter, mass of produced curds, and height of ice cream tower. You can have fun with your independent variables, which could be fat content of milk like you did, or something like the time the product is shaken/stirred.

One final note: make sure that your variables are not defined in a subjective manner. Type of milk could be interpreted as fat content, or it could be interpreted as flavor (think plain vs. chocolate vs. strawberry).
teoescana-543210

samlan16 wrote:
teoescana-543210 wrote:Last question- What would an example of an independent and dependent variable be? My partner and I are arguing over whether or not we did it right... We used different types of milk (half and half, whole, and cream) for two experiments, and then different types of cream (heavy, light, half and half) for the curds. Would this be allowed?
Welcome to the forums! If you need to post another question but no one has replied to a previous post of yours, please edit that post and put the question there.

Wrto the pictures, there is no specific view they require, but I would recommend getting the whole dairy product in the picture. It is also advisable to show your measurement of the product (i.e. hold a ruler up to measure the height of your ice cream towers or place your curds/butter on a scale) and label the trial somehow in the picture. A Post-It with the trial's specs would suffice.

Your analysis should explain your data. Include comparisons of all trials to each other, and state a general trend. Your general trend should not be like the one stated earlier but more like "as the ice cream was shaken for longer periods of time, the height of the ice cream tower increased." This would also be a good place to explain why you might have any outliers and connect your experiment to dairy science principles.

An independent variable is the variable that you change, whereas the dependent variable is the variable that is changed by the IV. Your dependent variables should advisably be mass of produced butter, mass of produced curds, and height of ice cream tower. You can have fun with your independent variables, which could be fat content of milk like you did, or something like the time the product is shaken/stirred.

One final note: make sure that your variables are not defined in a subjective manner. Type of milk could be interpreted as fat content, or it could be interpreted as flavor (think plain vs. chocolate vs. strawberry).

Thank you so much!!!
Gr

Post by Gr »

Does that mean then we should specify independent variable as 2% milk rather than saying type of milk or fat content of milk? It says one independent variable only. So we took it as 2% or 1% specifically for each experiment.

Also , the form says the pics should be at the bottom of the page. I have seen others do at the back of the page. Does it matter?

Also, we don't know have data point or graph. It does not say that in the rules, is that ok?
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

Gr wrote:Does that mean then we should specify independent variable as 2% milk rather than saying type of milk or fat content of milk? It says one independent variable only. So we took it as 2% or 1% specifically for each experiment.

Also , the form says the pics should be at the bottom of the page. I have seen others do at the back of the page. Does it matter?

Also, we don't know have data point or graph. It does not say that in the rules, is that ok?
1) 2% milk is a level of the independent variable, not the IV itself. You would need to say fat content. (I would say to concatenate those two levels into one experiment, but there was a weird FAQ a little while back about it, and I'm not sure.)
2) Play it safe and put it on the front. Shouldn't matter, though.
3) The whole point of the lab book is to improve your procedure for making the listed dairy products. Take the data required for your DV (as recommended, height of ice cream towers and mass of curds/butter), make a chart in your experimental report, and make a graph if you want to. The graph is up to you.

Return to “2016 Lab Events”