Post by Gr »

Thank you
dogy2011
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by dogy2011 »

Hi,
Quick question. Which one has more freezing point depression, Table salt or rock salt?
Thanks
foodscienceuser

Post by foodscienceuser »

Hi,
I'm preparing for the State level and I have few questions:
1. In my regional I was told that I cannot use the Rubberband to tie the cheese cloth to the container for draining. Will the supervisors provide any items to tie the cheese cloth? what is the recommended procedure?
2. Did anyone bought the Food Science CD from Science Olympiad Store? Can you give your review on the CD? Will it contain the study material that covers all the topics.

Please advise.
chscioly
Division: C
State: CA

Post by chscioly »

Have your invitational/regionals/state tests been more about dairy chemistry or processing and products?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

foodscienceuser wrote:Hi,
1. In my regional I was told that I cannot use the Rubberband to tie the cheese cloth to the container for draining. Will the supervisors provide any items to tie the cheese cloth? what is the recommended procedure?
2. Did anyone bought the Food Science CD from Science Olympiad Store? Can you give your review on the CD? Will it contain the study material that covers all the topics.

Please advise.
I don't know much about Food Science, but you should submit a FAQ on soinc.org for #1. You should also check with your state tournament director and see which rules clarifications and FAQs are applicable at State (generally it's something like "all clarifications and FAQs posted at least one week before the tournament" or something like that). If you're submitting a FAQ question to the national organization, do so as soon as possible, because it typically takes a few weeks for the committees to process those.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Person
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Person »

foodscienceuser wrote:Hi,

Please advise.
The SOINC FAQs page says:
"Can students bring something to "fasten" the cheesecloth over the beaker such as a rubber band or will that be provided by the event supervisor?

Students may only bring what is listed in the rules. All other materials should be provided by the event supervisor."
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
teoescana-543210

Post by teoescana-543210 »

So, my team made it to state, and we were wondering if we would have to redo the Notebook with the information on it?
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

teoescana-543210 wrote:So, my team made it to state, and we were wondering if we would have to redo the Notebook with the information on it?
Not necessarily, but you should refine your experiments a bit. Some things you could do are include a data table and pictures, perform more trials for each experiment, and include more experimental levels. If there was something you came up with after finishing your 9 experiments, now is the time to do it. Just be careful to not replace a good experiment with it.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
taliazee
Division: C
State: OH

Post by taliazee »

Hey, so I'll be going to states and I'll be competing in Food Science among other events...Has anyone who has gone to States done ice cream as one of the two experiments? At my state competition there will be 40 teams. I know for event supervisors, ice cream is generally not preferred because you need a lot of ingredients to provide for a lot of teams and it's more expensive than the butter or curds. I have only made ice cream once out of 7 invitationals. So, just wondering if event supervisors at States have ever made competitors do ice cream.
irishfeet123
Division: B
State: MD

Post by irishfeet123 »

First of all, this is a "new" event, as the event has been basically made-over since last rotation of Food Science. Sooo..nobody has ever gone to states and seen ice cream. Unless some states have already happened??

I was thinking yes, that ice cream is not the more popular experiment to fund for the supervisors, but it's the most consistent one to judge [curds and butter are extremely strange and inconsistent with judging scores].
2016 Div B Team A Pilgrimage Homeschool
BioLab-7/7
ExD-1/1
WIDI-6/1
DD-7/8
FS-6/1
CB-4/3
Regionals/States

Return to “2016 Lab Events”