Food Science B

azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by azuritemalachite »

taliazee wrote:Hey, so I'll be going to states and I'll be competing in Food Science among other events...Has anyone who has gone to States done ice cream as one of the two experiments? At my state competition there will be 40 teams. I know for event supervisors, ice cream is generally not preferred because you need a lot of ingredients to provide for a lot of teams and it's more expensive than the butter or curds. I have only made ice cream once out of 7 invitationals. So, just wondering if event supervisors at States have ever made competitors do ice cream.
irishfeet123 wrote:First of all, this is a "new" event, as the event has been basically made-over since last rotation of Food Science. Sooo..nobody has ever gone to states and seen ice cream. Unless some states have already happened??

I was thinking yes, that ice cream is not the more popular experiment to fund for the supervisors, but it's the most consistent one to judge [curds and butter are extremely strange and inconsistent with judging scores].
I've had States and there was ice cream. Strangely enough, in my competitions, ice cream has been a lot more popular than the other two probably because of the scoring like irishfeet123 said. At States you're supposed to have two experiments (I had ice creams and curds), so keep practicing each one.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
taliazee
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by taliazee »

azuritemalachite wrote:
taliazee wrote:Hey, so I'll be going to states and I'll be competing in Food Science among other events...Has anyone who has gone to States done ice cream as one of the two experiments? At my state competition there will be 40 teams. I know for event supervisors, ice cream is generally not preferred because you need a lot of ingredients to provide for a lot of teams and it's more expensive than the butter or curds. I have only made ice cream once out of 7 invitationals. So, just wondering if event supervisors at States have ever made competitors do ice cream.
irishfeet123 wrote:First of all, this is a "new" event, as the event has been basically made-over since last rotation of Food Science. Sooo..nobody has ever gone to states and seen ice cream. Unless some states have already happened??

I was thinking yes, that ice cream is not the more popular experiment to fund for the supervisors, but it's the most consistent one to judge [curds and butter are extremely strange and inconsistent with judging scores].
I've had States and there was ice cream. Strangely enough, in my competitions, ice cream has been a lot more popular than the other two probably because of the scoring like irishfeet123 said. At States you're supposed to have two experiments (I had ice creams and curds), so keep practicing each one.
Thank you for your responses. Yes, I believe that several states have already had their state competitions. I'll keep what azuritemalachite said about the scoring consistency for ice cream in mind. Thanks for the help!
Destiny24
Division: Grad

Post by Destiny24 »

Hi all, does anybody have experience on what is on the written test? I'm trying to prepare for a competition, and so if you guys could help give me some sample examples or general areas of study that would be great! Thanks!
Destiny24

Post by Destiny24 »

Thanks for the help guys
brayden box
Division: B
State: NY

Post by brayden box »

Has anyone figured out if the pH of the milk effects how well the ice cream is made?
BBOX
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

dogy2011 wrote:Hi,
Quick question. Which one has more freezing point depression, Table salt or rock salt?
Thanks
Rock salt. The larger salt particles will separate the water molecules so they cannot freeze together as well. You want to have the energy from the ice cream mix transferred to the salt particles so larger particles will be better.
Destiny24 wrote:Hi all, does anybody have experience on what is on the written test? I'm trying to prepare for a competition, and so if you guys could help give me some sample examples or general areas of study that would be great! Thanks!
The rules have most of the topics, but sometimes tests have other components. The test should be about dairy and dairy products, but I have found that some organic chemistry can get involved. Make sure you know the basic stuff like carbohydrates, fats (fatty acids mainly), and sterols.
chscioly wrote:Have your invitational/regionals/state tests been more about dairy chemistry or processing and products?
Kind of both, leaning a little more towards dairy chemistry. Most of the criteria on the rules cover what has been on the tests (there are a lot of topics haha).
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
teoescana-543210

Post by teoescana-543210 »

For the Notebook, does it need to be handwritten, or can we just set it up on Word and print it?
thanks!
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

teoescana-543210 wrote:For the Notebook, does it need to be handwritten, or can we just set it up on Word and print it?
thanks!
There is a form on both soinc.org and the Food Science CD. I would strongly recommend using one or the other because some teams, like the one I coach, have been penalized this year for deviating from it. I believe an FAQ was posted to clarify that the forms may be modified, but you should stick to what is given in case you have an uninformed proctor.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
teoescana-543210

Post by teoescana-543210 »

samlan16 wrote:
teoescana-543210 wrote:For the Notebook, does it need to be handwritten, or can we just set it up on Word and print it?
thanks!
There is a form on both soinc.org and the Food Science CD. I would strongly recommend using one or the other because some teams, like the one I coach, have been penalized this year for deviating from it. I believe an FAQ was posted to clarify that the forms may be modified, but you should stick to what is given in case you have an uninformed proctor.
Well, we would keep the entire form the same, but typed... Would that still be acceptable? I am asking because last time it took us forever to handwrite everything neatly, and we already have it typed up and weren't sure if we needed to handwrite it again
One more question: we found the following form on the Science Olympiad website:
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... ntForm.pdf
but I bought the CD a while ago, and noticed that the form uploaded there looks very different (it is labeled 2016 experiment form...) Which one should we use?
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

teoescana-543210 wrote:
samlan16 wrote:
thanks!
Well, we would keep the entire form the same, but typed... Would that still be acceptable? I am asking because last time it took us forever to handwrite everything neatly, and we already have it typed up and weren't sure if we needed to handwrite it again
One more question: we found the following form on the Science Olympiad website:
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/files/uploaded_files/FoodScienceBExperimentForm.pdf
but I bought the CD a while ago, and noticed that the form uploaded there looks very different (it is labeled 2016 experiment form...) Which one should we use?
I think you should use the one on the website. Also I do not believe it is required to be handwritten. Just don't forget pictures! :)

Return to “2016 Lab Events”