Coach
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Re: Picture This B

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

Mini_Muffins wrote:
JoJoKeKe wrote:So I have my state competition this weekend (wish me luck!), but I came across something that seemed awfully strange... My head coach said that the state Science Olympiad wanted to know which team was the varsity team (my team) so that they could give us and varsity teams from other schools "harder words". By my understanding, everyone gets the same exact words. Is this unfair? I was slightly startled by this news, not for the reason that we couldn't handle it, but that it puts us at a disadvantage to other teams.

How do you feel about this? :idea:
Wow. Okay. So I've never had this happen to me, but I don't know if that's legal or not. You should ask someone or a committee from a higher level than state, maybe. But I think that's really wrong. By the way, what state comp. is this Saturday?
Also, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!! :D
I think he means Idaho.

If I was running a State tournament with both varsity and non-varsity teams I would probably provide a different list for each group. If non-varsity normally compete for awards against varisty I would likely give out a set of awards to each group. I would be worried that a non-varsity team might go first and give terms to their varsity team that goes later. It would probably be helpful to know how your state scores varsity teams versus non-varsity teams. Thankfully my state does not have that concern because schools only get one team per school.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

JoJoKeKe wrote:So I have my state competition this weekend (wish me luck!), but I came across something that seemed awfully strange... My head coach said that the state Science Olympiad wanted to know which team was the varsity team (my team) so that they could give us and varsity teams from other schools "harder words". By my understanding, everyone gets the same exact words. Is this unfair? I was slightly startled by this news, not for the reason that we couldn't handle it, but that it puts us at a disadvantage to other teams.

The only situation I can think of in which this might be acceptable is if your varsity teams and other team/teams are ranked separately at the competition (judging from your phrasing, this seems most likely); if all teams are ranked together, then that seems like it goes against General Rule 1 (I'm not completely sure about this, though, since I'm not very familiar with the Picture This rules).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
JoJoKeKe
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Unome wrote:

The only situation I can think of in which this might be acceptable is if your varsity teams and other team/teams are ranked separately at the competition (judging from your phrasing, this seems most likely); if all teams are ranked together, then that seems like it goes against General Rule 1 (I'm not completely sure about this, though, since I'm not very familiar with the Picture This rules).
At the state competition everyone is ranked together competing for 1st overall. If we were ranked separately, I wouldn't think twice about a different, harder list. However, since we're all ranked together it seems strange that 2-3 teams would have a 'harder' list while every other treat would be operating under a different set of words.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1