Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by zyzzyva980 »

bernard wrote:
Melissahall985 wrote:During the competition, are teams allowed to use measurements with our own body parts to describe objects? For example "The string is the length of 2 fingers"
It isn't prohibited by this year's rules, so by General Rule #1 (https://www.soinc.org/ethics_rules), it should be allowed. As always, opinions here are unofficial.
You would just have to make sure that you and your partner have the same finger length ;)
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
amp 3914

Post by amp 3914 »

Are there any good techniques that can be used to prepare for Write It Do It?
amp 3914

Post by amp 3914 »

What are some good materials that can be used to practice with for the Write It Do It Event?
rosebiju123

Post by rosebiju123 »

That is a confusion I had as well. Also if we are describing the model given, should we specifically describe the length of each object or will my partner have that object already cut into the length that is in the model.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

rosebiju123 wrote:That is a confusion I had as well. Also if we are describing the model given, should we specifically describe the length of each object or will my partner have that object already cut into the length that is in the model.
That will depend on how the event is run. Most likely, unless the supervisor is trying to stump some teams, all parts will be prepared to lengths and the object will just have to be assembled. Some supervisors like to include extra parts in the bag. Sometimes you might also want to ask a supervisor if colors matter in an object or if your partner will be given objects that are the same color as in the display model, though sometimes the supervisor might not answer those questions.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
genius123
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by genius123 »

How many people are going to come up with a code? I feel like it'll be easier for the builder to comprehend words instead of a code, and since it's the builder's time that actually matters, wouldn't it be better to only abbreviate a few long words instead of using a code? I just don't want to be at a disadvantage though. What are you all doing?
genius123
State: NJ

Post by genius123 »

amp 3914 wrote:What are some good materials that can be used to practice with for the Write It Do It Event?
My partner & I generally practice w/ Tinker toys, legos, k'nex, etc. But last year they used marshmallows and pipe cleaners at the competition, so just be prepared for anything. The important thing is making sure that you guys can communicate and that the builder can understand the writer's instructions. It doesn't really matter what you practice with.
catroll

Post by catroll »

What types of abbreviations are we allowed to use that the judges wouldn't consider them "code"? The Wiki talks about "code" several times... but isn't abbreviations technically code? Thanks.

P.S. is this the right place to go for questions? :D
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

catroll wrote:What types of abbreviations are we allowed to use that the judges wouldn't consider them "code"? The Wiki talks about "code" several times... but isn't abbreviations technically code? Thanks.

P.S. is this the right place to go for questions? :D
This is the right place for questions seeking unofficial opinions.

The rules about code is from previous years. The Wiki is edited by volunteers so it may not always reflect the most recent year's rules.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sciolymom
State: CO

Post by sciolymom »

So with the rule about the keyboard being eliminated, is it acceptable to underline or circle words?
Mom/Event Coach

Return to “2016 Lab Events”