Write It Do It B/C

samlan16
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by samlan16 »

sciolymom wrote:So with the rule about the keyboard being eliminated, is it acceptable to underline or circle words?
I wouldn't push it- the proctors may interpret it as a drawing, and you will be screwed.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
stephengee77
Been thanked: 0

Post by stephengee77 »

I have a question about general rule 1 and this event. Since it doesn't say that computers aren't allowed, can we type up our instructions?
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

stephengee77 wrote:I have a question about general rule 1 and this event. Since it doesn't say that computers aren't allowed, can we type up our instructions?
Usually, the proctors will give you an answer sheet to write your instructions on, so the answer is probably not unless you also bring a printer. However, if you need a computer for accessibility reasons, they should let you use it.
catroll

Post by catroll »

bernard wrote:
catroll wrote:What types of abbreviations are we allowed to use that the judges wouldn't consider them "code"? The Wiki talks about "code" several times... but isn't abbreviations technically code? Thanks.

P.S. is this the right place to go for questions? :D
This is the right place for questions seeking unofficial opinions.

The rules about code is from previous years. The Wiki is edited by volunteers so it may not always reflect the most recent year's rules.
Thanks a lot!! So abbreviations that aren't pre-defined are allowed? Such as, if my partner and I are going to use "gpc" for "green pipe cleaner", is that allowed?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

catroll wrote:
bernard wrote:
catroll wrote:What types of abbreviations are we allowed to use that the judges wouldn't consider them "code"? The Wiki talks about "code" several times... but isn't abbreviations technically code? Thanks.

P.S. is this the right place to go for questions? :D
This is the right place for questions seeking unofficial opinions.

The rules about code is from previous years. The Wiki is edited by volunteers so it may not always reflect the most recent year's rules.
Thanks a lot!! So abbreviations that aren't pre-defined are allowed? Such as, if my partner and I are going to use "gpc" for "green pipe cleaner", is that allowed?
Yes, the first bolded sentence in 2.b. allows it.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Noel
Division: C
State: FL

Post by Noel »

My partner and I were recently practicing and she came up with a method of using spacing within the instructions to indicate dimensions.
For example, "put the green straw this --------------------- far from the black lego." (ignore the dashes - the website wouldn't let me type a series of spaces)
We were just wondering if anyone interpreted this to be an illegal tactic.
2015-2016 Events
It's About Time
Protein Modeling
Robot Arm
Wind Power
Write It Do It
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

Noel wrote:My partner and I were recently practicing and she came up with a method of using spacing within the instructions to indicate dimensions.
For example, "put the green straw this --------------------- far from the black lego." (ignore the dashes - the website wouldn't let me type a series of spaces)
We were just wondering if anyone interpreted this to be an illegal tactic.
Nothing in the rules that prohibits it, so General Rule 1 prevails.
irishfeet123
Division: B
State: MD

Post by irishfeet123 »

rosebiju123 wrote:what are some ways we can really prepare for this event with our partner?
While having someone make you a WIDI and then just write it and do it is good practice, a more efficient way that I've found after 2 years of doing this event is simply sitting down and discussing what terms (for example, clock or cardinal directions, or how to orient objects) you will use to communicate, then exercising those with verbal mini-widis.
2016 Div B Team A Pilgrimage Homeschool
BioLab-7/7
ExD-1/1
WIDI-6/1
DD-7/8
FS-6/1
CB-4/3
Regionals/States
srkiscool

Write it Do it Overtime

Post by srkiscool »

Hey guys! I wrote after the judge called time and because of that I got 25th place(last place). :( I am almost certain that I would have placed in top 15. I can't find anywhere on the rules what would happen if this occurred.

Can anyone please help me understand if getting last place was just or not... (and if there is a way I can appeal to change the score since it is still only unofficial results )

Thanks
srkiscool

Re: Write it Do it Overtime

Post by srkiscool »

My school is literally one point away from qualifying for states and this is a huge game changer.

Return to “2016 Lab Events”