bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by bernard »

rosebiju123 wrote:Is there a way to become more familiar with the objects they might use because what we are not able to make words of it?
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're unsure of what objects they might use, that is part of the point of the event - being able to describe something you haven't seen before. A good way to practice involves making objects from toys and random things you find around the house and practicing the event with those objects.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
whovian11
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by whovian11 »

how would I describe the little buttons on the Lego's? I'm new but I know some.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

whovian11 wrote:how would I describe the little buttons on the Lego's? I'm new but I know some.
You can use any term that works for you and your partner, so you could describe it as buttons. A lego dictionary (http://thebrickblogger.com/2010/11/lego ... asic-term/) I found online calls them studs.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

whovian11 wrote:how would I describe the little buttons on the Lego's? I'm new but I know some.
You can use any term that works for you and your partner, so you could describe it as buttons. A lego dictionary (http://thebrickblogger.com/2010/11/lego ... asic-term/) I found online calls them studs.
rosebiju123

Post by rosebiju123 »

what are some ways we can really prepare for this event with our partner?
whovian11

Post by whovian11 »

thx. I am preparing by building something with complex toys and describing it to my partner. you could do it other ways but this is probably most effective. you could go onto sonic, Quizlet, or just type in write it do it on the search tab and see what comes up. hope this helps! :D ;) :)
Melissahall985

Post by Melissahall985 »

During the competition, are teams allowed to use measurements with our own body parts to describe objects? For example "The string is the length of 2 fingers"
Melissahall985

Post by Melissahall985 »

bernard wrote:I could also imagine the old abbreviation rule causing issues for students with poor handwriting. In my current handwriting, often some of my letters are merged so "brick" might look like "brck" which would be interpreted as code or abbreviations...

Coming up with the shortest abbreviations might save time, but it's also more processing for your brain. No matter how much practice we do, understanding "red brick horizontal north" will be faster than understanding "r b h n."
Yeah I agree. Plus it will take longer for you as a team to memorize the abbreviations.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Melissahall985 wrote:During the competition, are teams allowed to use measurements with our own body parts to describe objects? For example "The string is the length of 2 fingers"
It isn't prohibited by this year's rules, so by General Rule #1 (https://www.soinc.org/ethics_rules), it should be allowed. As always, opinions here are unofficial.
laneyoung
Division: B
State: IL

Post by laneyoung »

Speaking as a coach for this event (not anything else in my signature), I think the bigger rule is the elimination of the keyboard as the only allowed writings.
Illinois Arbitrator
Illinois Elementary Science Olympiad Committee

Return to “2016 Lab Events”