Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by Skink »

Assume they're not; SO expects significant figures to be followed in C division quantitative events per the sig figs policy.
Eureka314
Been thanked: 0

Post by Eureka314 »

Thanks!

Also, are ap chem questions good practice? There doesn't seem to be a lot of gas laws tests.
2019 Events: Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, Fossils
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Yeah, like with Cell Bio, this event sits closely with AP. There are more worksheets out there than you'd know what to do with if you perform a Google search (ex: 'ap chemistry chapter 5 test'). Additionally, for specifically AP-targeted problems, you could comb through the available past AP FRQs or test prep books.
Eureka314

Post by Eureka314 »

This is probably a really dumb question but will the lab aprons be provided or do we have to bring our own?
inwhite
State: OH

Post by inwhite »

Eureka314 wrote:This is probably a really dumb question but will the lab aprons be provided or do we have to bring our own?
Bring your own. No question about the rules is dumb question :D
2016 Events: Anatomy, Chem Lab, Protein Modeling, Cell Bio, Forensics, Game On, Disease Detectives 8-)

Syracuse bound for Forensic Bio! #syracuse2020
inwhite

Post by inwhite »

doge wrote:On that note, I was wondering what kind of questions you guys are expecting for the greenhouse gas and climate change aspect of the test? The rules are sort of broad and it seems like it may be the part of the test that separates the top teams besides speed/length of test (and lab), addressing complaints from previous years of Chem Lab being too easy overall.
So far, what I've seen is just some normal gas law questions that just so happen to be about ozone. I believe I also saw said question before on an AP Chem test.

The other test I took just didn't have anything about greenhouse gases on it.
2016 Events: Anatomy, Chem Lab, Protein Modeling, Cell Bio, Forensics, Game On, Disease Detectives 8-)

Eureka314

Post by Eureka314 »

So for the calculators, can we bring a ti-89? It never specified on the rules about not being able to bring a graphing calculator, just a non-camera capable one.

And for the clothing, will we have to wear like turtlenecks and stuff to cover up our neck or are they more lenient on that?
inwhite

Post by inwhite »

Eureka314 wrote:So for the calculators, can we bring a ti-89? It never specified on the rules about not being able to bring a graphing calculator, just a non-camera capable one.

And for the clothing, will we have to wear like turtlenecks and stuff to cover up our neck or are they more lenient on that?
Yes to the calculator. We always bring in TI-84s, and I've never seen anybody get in trouble with that.

No to the clothing though, unless the competition specifically says that you must wear something to cover your neck, which I've (personally) never seen or heard of.

chem2000

Post by chem2000 »

The regional test I took had nothing on greenhouse gases. I guess one of the tests could have a question on the Porter Ranch methane leak.
Greenhouse gases work because of IR absorption, but that concept would be beyond the scope of Chem Lab. If it does come up... Basically, atmospheric gases absorb thermal/radioactive energy, causing the bonds between atoms to stretch/bend like a spring. The stretching/bending can happen only with polar covalent bonds.
kaylie2000

Post by kaylie2000 »

[quote="doge"]Not sure I understand your first question, but generally, a lab will probably test for knowledge of some specific laws that will be necessary in calculations, but I think the point of the lab is not to test for this type of material (although you should definitely still know the laws..), but rather to see which teams can most accurately carry out (and know) lab procedures and/or follow directions. Section 4.b. of the rules states some possible lab topics, but they probably will not be limited to that.

Hi, I've never done Chem Lab before. Can someone please give a general overview of the event? I'm a little confused if we are provided with specific instructions for the lab or if we are required to come up with our own lab procedure on the spot. Thanks!

Return to “2016 Lab Events”