Chem Lab C

karan_hooda
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by karan_hooda »

Anyone know any labs pertaining to gas laws or kinetics??
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

karan_hooda wrote:Anyone know any labs pertaining to gas laws or kinetics??
A lot of teacher guides are on the internet, so if you do a search for gas law labs or kinetics labs, you'll get a lot of results. Here's a sample of one I found: http://www.flinnsci.com/media/960405/ap_chem_3A.pdf. There are definitely a lot more available, more than I can list here.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I'd check two places in particular:
1. AP chemistry required laboratories for the relevant units
2. college general chemistry laboratory syllabi or procedures
As noted, there is a lot out there. I have a list that my team compiled, so it shouldn't take you too long to make.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

A lab for the general chemistry series at our university is determining the molar mass of a low-boiling liquid: http://faculty.washington.edu/callis/Ch ... .abst.html or https://depts.washington.edu/chem/cours ... rMass.html. And a warning about finding and doing labs off the internet: often knowing the student procedure isn't enough for you to safely handle or dispose of some chemicals, so it's always a good idea to get a chemistry teacher involved if you decide to do practice labs.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
aenakhan

Post by aenakhan »

I noticed the topics reallt vary from year to year... What are some constants? Also, what laws are useful to know for the lab.
baseo1234

Post by baseo1234 »

aenakhan wrote:I noticed the topics reallt vary from year to year... What are some constants? Also, what laws are useful to know for the lab.
I've found a really helpful website that could be dealt wit chem. formulas and laws, http://chemistry.about.com/od/generalch ... rylaws.htm

Does anyone know if this lab would cover every single law specifically or would it just be broad, by only taking a few laws to choose from?
I am currently enrolled in a chemistry class, by studying for this event I would learn the things I already know, but my question is if it will expand my chemistry knowledge such as to an AP level?
Last edited by bernard on November 4th, 2015, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: If possible, please avoid double- or multi-posting (i.e. multiple posts in a row on similar topics by the same user).
doge
State: DC

Post by doge »

Not sure I understand your first question, but generally, a lab will probably test for knowledge of some specific laws that will be necessary in calculations, but I think the point of the lab is not to test for this type of material (although you should definitely still know the laws..), but rather to see which teams can most accurately carry out (and know) lab procedures and/or follow directions. Section 4.b. of the rules states some possible lab topics, but they probably will not be limited to that.

If you're not in AP Chemistry right now or have not taken it, then studying for Chem Lab this year will introduce you to kinetics which I believe is not covered until then. But of course, there is a lot of information out there about gases and kinetics that is not taught in a typical chemistry class at school so there is always more to learn, especially with the addition of greenhouse gases this year.

On that note, I was wondering what kind of questions you guys are expecting for the greenhouse gas and climate change aspect of the test? The rules are sort of broad and it seems like it may be the part of the test that separates the top teams besides speed/length of test (and lab), addressing complaints from previous years of Chem Lab being too easy overall.
asthedeer
State: MD

Post by asthedeer »

Does anyone know of any study guides/practice tests/etc for the gases part? I see plenty of stuff about kinetics...but not much about the gas part, probably because it's new.

Edited to add- SOMEONE please write a 2016 test, even if it's simple, just so I know what to expect!
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11
Eureka314

Post by Eureka314 »

How lenient are the graders usually on sig figs?
2019 Events: Experimental Design, Wright Stuff, Fossils

Return to “2016 Lab Events”