Forensics C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Forensics C

Post by Unome »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:On previous years' threads people have said the nationals test is ridiculously long; over 200 questions. How...how do you even get through half of it? Our state test was around 35 questions plus a write-up, and we barely had time to finish. Although from the previous threads it sounds like each individual question is easier, like some basic chemical reaction and identifying evidence with certain suspects.
You don't get through half of it; you get through 70% of it (if you're exceptionally good) and if you managed your time well, you have a shot at a medal (at least this is my understanding of it).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Does anyone know if they provide microscopic images at nationals of the different fibers at the crime scene to help with identification? Or do you have to tell by feel/burn tests (if this is the case, then what are some distinct physical charecteristics if we can't use microscope pictures)?

Also, what is the difference, in pictures, between human, mammal, avian, and reptile blood? I don't quite get that. A simple explanation of mass spec would help too - I've looked online and found some nice websites, but most of it goes over my head. :(
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
sciduck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciduck »

daydreamer0023 wrote:Does anyone know if they provide microscopic images at nationals of the different fibers at the crime scene to help with identification? Or do you have to tell by feel/burn tests (if this is the case, then what are some distinct physical characteristics if we can't use microscope pictures)?

Also, what is the difference, in pictures, between human, mammal, avian, and reptile blood? I don't quite get that. A simple explanation of mass spec would help too - I've looked online and found some nice websites, but most of it goes over my head. :(
I have never been to Nationals, but one website says:
-know how to do a burn test on only one strand of fiber
-don’t use more than one strand, which is more difficult than a ball
-be prepared to make an identification using a microscope making your own wet mount (this will NOT already be done for you)
Source: http://www.raleighcharterhs.org/student ... ensics.asp

As for blood:
-Mammalian blood cells don't have nuclei and organelles for two reasons. The first is an adaption to increase oxygen carrying potential by making more room for hemoglobin. The second is increased flexibility to pass through small capillaries.
-Human blood cells are spherical.
-Avian blood cells are very elliptical and have nuclei. Imagine pink rice with nuclei.
-Fish blood cells have nuclei and are bigger than human blood cells, but smaller than frog blood cells. They also have less types of lymphocytes than humans.
-I don't know how to tell the difference between human blood and other mammals (with the exception of camels) and I also can't tell the difference between reptiles and amphibians (amphibian blood cells maybe rounder? Might just be my specific set of pictures, I don't really know). I just printed out some pictures and hoped it wouldn't show up, but let me know if you find out how.

Good luck at Nationals!
———————————————
SCIDUCK uses CONFUSION!
 ———————————————
justgreene
State: FL

Post by justgreene »

How does TLC work at nationals? Are we supposed to conduct it ourselves like we would for paper chromatography? Also can somebody explain the short vs. long wavelength UV radiation stuff for TLC fluorescence that I've seen on past nationals tests.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:On previous years' threads people have said the nationals test is ridiculously long; over 200 questions. How...how do you even get through half of it? Our state test was around 35 questions plus a write-up, and we barely had time to finish. Although from the previous threads it sounds like each individual question is easier, like some basic chemical reaction and identifying evidence with certain suspects.
You don't get through half of it; you get through 70% of it (if you're exceptionally good) and if you managed your time well, you have a shot at a medal (at least this is my understanding of it).
Lol this seems a bit late since Nats has passed already, but splitting the work with your partner always works. But lol Unome is essentially correct on what he/she said.
sciduck wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:Does anyone know if they provide microscopic images at nationals of the different fibers at the crime scene to help with identification? Or do you have to tell by feel/burn tests (if this is the case, then what are some distinct physical characteristics if we can't use microscope pictures)?

I have never been to Nationals, but one website says:
-know how to do a burn test on only one strand of fiber
-don’t use more than one strand, which is more difficult than a ball
-be prepared to make an identification using a microscope making your own wet mount (this will NOT already be done for you)
Source: http://www.raleighcharterhs.org/student ... ensics.asp

As for blood:
-Mammalian blood cells don't have nuclei and organelles for two reasons. The first is an adaption to increase oxygen carrying potential by making more room for hemoglobin. The second is increased flexibility to pass through small capillaries.
-Human blood cells are spherical.
-Avian blood cells are very elliptical and have nuclei. Imagine pink rice with nuclei.
-Fish blood cells have nuclei and are bigger than human blood cells, but smaller than frog blood cells. They also have less types of lymphocytes than humans.
-I don't know how to tell the difference between human blood and other mammals (with the exception of camels) and I also can't tell the difference between reptiles and amphibians (amphibian blood cells maybe rounder? Might just be my specific set of pictures, I don't really know). I just printed out some pictures and hoped it wouldn't show up, but let me know if you find out how.

Good luck at Nationals!
Although the rules say to know it, Woz generally doesn't use microscope images for hair. I think she used to, but she hasn't on all the tests I've seen recently. She does use them for blood if she includes animal blood as part of the crime scenario.
justgreene wrote:How does TLC work at nationals? Are we supposed to conduct it ourselves like we would for paper chromatography? Also can somebody explain the short vs. long wavelength UV radiation stuff for TLC fluorescence that I've seen on past nationals tests.
Lol also a bit late for this one, but yeah you do it yourself. Woz always makes you do it yourself. And the short vs long wavelength is a setting on the blacklight, and I think you just see if it glows. Tbh at nats I actually skipped most of the TLC questions bc honestly if you get enough ID's and trivia questions right, it'll make up for it anyways.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Pickachu4919, congrats on your nationals medal! I should have said hi to you during the Forensics event since we took it at the same time, but I forgot to. :oops:

Anyway, at nationals were there duplicates of any of the powders? I think I put down three different powders twice, but my powder IDing was super sketchy.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
guilt
State: MA

Post by guilt »

Yes, there were duplicates of multiple powders. I think LiCl was one of them, can't remember the others.

Also, yes forensics tests (especially and specifically nats) are long, but not impossible the finish. My partner and I were able to finish the nats test/do relatively well (minus mass spec cause we accidentally skipped it and forgot to go back) by having pre assigned sections. I did the powders and polymers while my partner did the other crime scene stuff. Then I wrote up the crime scene analysis while my partner did the trivia questions.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Pickachu4919, congrats on your nationals medal! I should have said hi to you during the Forensics event since we took it at the same time, but I forgot to. :oops:

Anyway, at nationals were there duplicates of any of the powders? I think I put down three different powders twice, but my powder IDing was super sketchy.
Thanks! 16th is really good too ;D Lol tbh I was thinking the exact same thing that you did :? :lol: Oh well... I'll see if I can get onto the volunteer crew next year for nats tho! And yeah, I think I remember my partner saying she saw red flames for two of the powders. Lol I remember one of my coaches said that one time when he was a forensics supervisor, he had them identify six powders with three of them being sodium bicarbonate. I told him that was evil :lol:
guilt wrote:Yes, there were duplicates of multiple powders. I think LiCl was one of them, can't remember the others.

Also, yes forensics tests (especially and specifically nats) are long, but not impossible the finish. My partner and I were able to finish the nats test/do relatively well (minus mass spec cause we accidentally skipped it and forgot to go back) by having pre assigned sections. I did the powders and polymers while my partner did the other crime scene stuff. Then I wrote up the crime scene analysis while my partner did the trivia questions.
Niceeeee ;) Where are you from again?
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!

MY CABBAGES!
19sawickin
State: PA

Post by 19sawickin »

This was probably mentioned early in the forum, but does anybody know where to find good forensics kits that include blood to test as well as large plastic samples (not just the granular plastic samples) and some powders?
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

19sawickin wrote:This was probably mentioned early in the forum, but does anybody know where to find good forensics kits that include blood to test as well as large plastic samples (not just the granular plastic samples) and some powders?
Large plastic samples can be drawn from your recycle bin; just make sure that you note the recycling code. (Exceptions: PMMA and PC must be found elsewhere. PC may be in your glasses; PMMA is Plexiglas, which you could probably find at a hardware store.) Powders from the list can pretty much be bought in bulk online or around town. You can get some things at the store- sucrose, flour, cornstarch, maybe even glucose at a pharmacy. Get creative.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.

Return to “2016 Lab Events”