Forensics C

inwhite
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by inwhite »

SciOly15 wrote:I have a polymer flowchart, but the problem is that it doesn't differentiate between PC and PMMA, and PETE and PVC. Do you guys have any ways you differentiate between those two pairs?
I believe they all have slightly different densities, but if you're pressed for time, judge by appearance, details of the crime, and any burn tests given to you.

PC: Clear. Used in eye protection, as well as in other projectile-resistant viewing and lighting applications that would normally indicate the use of glass, but require much higher impact-resistance.
PMMA: Clear. Used in aquariums, intraocular lenses, acrylic paint, dentures, and more.
PETE: Typically clear, perhaps with green or blue tint. Common in drinking bottles. Resin ID code of 1.
PVC: Typically opaque white with a slight yellowish tint. I'd describe it as eggshell, almost. Resin ID code of 3. Gives off hydrogen chloride gas when burned. Common in plumbing.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Weird formatting :cry:
2016 Events: Anatomy, Chem Lab, Protein Modeling, Cell Bio, Forensics, Game On, Disease Detectives 8-)

Syracuse bound for Forensic Bio! #syracuse2020
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

On the rules it says teams can bring "flame test equipment" including "nichrome wire, cobalt blue glass, etc." Can we legally bring and use wooden splints as flame test equipment?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:On the rules it says teams can bring "flame test equipment" including "nichrome wire, cobalt blue glass, etc." Can we legally bring and use wooden splints as flame test equipment?
Technically yes, but it's kind of dangerous and may get you penalized.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
amp 3914

Post by amp 3914 »

samlan16 wrote:
amp 3914 wrote:Is there a limit to the amount of notes that you can have for Forensics?
According to rule 2.a.xv, you may bring a binder of any size filled with anything as long as the materials are secured to the rings.
Thank you and you can bring all of the notes with you to the forensics lab?
amp 3914

Post by amp 3914 »

samlan16 wrote:
amp 3914 wrote:Is there a limit to the amount of notes that you can have for Forensics?
According to rule 2.a.xv, you may bring a binder of any size filled with anything as long as the materials are secured to the rings.
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

amp 3914 wrote:
samlan16 wrote:
Yes. All of the materials you bring are in the lab with you.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
QuantumTech
State: CA

Post by QuantumTech »

For the hair samples (human and animal), do online pictures under the microscope suffice? It seemed like too much of a hassle to buy restricted items from Ward's Science just to look under the microscope once.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

QuantumTech wrote:For the hair samples (human and animal), do online pictures under the microscope suffice? It seemed like too much of a hassle to buy restricted items from Ward's Science just to look under the microscope once.
You should be fine with internet pictures for hair samples. Fibers are harder, as I learned when I panicked during regionals, so it's more important to get physical samples of those.

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

So how are you splitting up the test between you and your partners? Currently, I am doing part a and whatever my partner doesn't finish of part b, and my partner does everything else. Can this work consistently? My partner has been doing the other parts for a long time, and would like to remain doing that.

Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So how are you splitting up the test between you and your partners? Currently, I am doing part a and whatever my partner doesn't finish of part b, and my partner does everything else. Can this work consistently? My partner has been doing the other parts for a long time, and would like to remain doing that.
We each did half of the powders then divided what was left equally. I tend to do the DNA and blood spatters. If that system works for you two it should be fine. As long as you are managing your time well, finishing everything, and your partner is also fine with the set up I would keep doing what you're doing.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Return to “2016 Lab Events”