Forensics C

JT016
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by JT016 »

This test is located in the test exchange: http://www.scioly.org/wiki/images/3/3a/ ... Test_3.pdf

I was wondering if anyone had the answer key to this test? If so, that'd be great!
JT016
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by JT016 »

Another question:
What's a good way to differentiate PETE, PVC, PC, and PMMA? All of their densities are greater than that of a saturated NaCl solution(PMMA and PC are approximately equal). My teacher mentioned that stepping on a sample of PC and PMMA would be a good way to differentiate those, because of how they react to force. I believe PC will crack whereas PMMA will shatter into smaller pieces (though I am not 100% sure). How would I differentiate PETE and PVC? Would I have to rely on burn test results?
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

JT016 wrote:Another question:
What's a good way to differentiate PETE, PVC, PC, and PMMA? All of their densities are greater than that of a saturated NaCl solution(PMMA and PC are approximately equal). My teacher mentioned that stepping on a sample of PC and PMMA would be a good way to differentiate those, because of how they react to force. I believe PC will crack whereas PMMA will shatter into smaller pieces (though I am not 100% sure). How would I differentiate PETE and PVC? Would I have to rely on burn test results?
Usually I distinguish PC and PMMA from 25% NaCl (which has a density of ~1.19 g/cm^3, provided that it's made correctly, so PC will sink and PMMA will float). I've never heard of stepping on it to differentiate them, but it sounds like an interesting thing to do :lol: For PETE and PVC, you are correct in that you have to rely on burn test results, and supervisors will provide those if they're necessary to tell the difference.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

So does the ES give salt in a solution or as crystals for plastic density tests?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So does the ES give salt in a solution or as crystals for plastic density tests?
Usually the ES has all of the solutions already set up (meaning you can't make your own). I have never seen or heard of a time when competitors had to make the solutions.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Panda Weasley wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So does the ES give salt in a solution or as crystals for plastic density tests?
Usually the ES has all of the solutions already set up (meaning you can't make your own). I have never seen or heard of a time when competitors had to make the solutions.
Okay. Do they tell you the concentrations of the solutions or do you have to guess based on the plastics?

samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:
Okay. Do they tell you the concentrations of the solutions or do you have to guess based on the plastics?
When they have density testing set up, yes.

But keep in mind that not every ES will provide materials for density testing, so you will need to rely on any information given about burn test results.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

What am I looking for in NaOH tests? There doesn't seem to be much going on...

samlan16
State: GA

Post by samlan16 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:What am I looking for in NaOH tests? There doesn't seem to be much going on...
Try reacting MgSO4 with NaOH- a precipitate of Na2SO4 should result.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

samlan16 wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:What am I looking for in NaOH tests? There doesn't seem to be much going on...
Try reacting MgSO4 with NaOH- a precipitate of Na2SO4 should result.
You mean a Mg(OH)2 precip, right? Oh, adding onto that, Ca(NO)3 can also precip to form Ca(OH)2, which is also known as lime (not the fruit - if you've ever heard of limewater, that's a component of it), but the Mg(OH)2 is generally a lot more gel-looking and solid than the Ca(OH)2, which is more powdery although it still forms a settling solid. This is because Mg(OH)2 is completely insoluble while Ca(OH)2 is marginally soluble.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!

Return to “2016 Lab Events”