Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Game On C

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Game On is my team's worst event, and the people doing it are confused on two things. One is that they don't understand why the event allows two people and how to capitalize on that (they say one person codes and the other person sits there looking pretty). The other is how to practice and improve at this event. If someone could answer these it would be much appreciated.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
chaguy2457
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by chaguy2457 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Game On is my team's worst event, and the people doing it are confused on two things. One is that they don't understand why the event allows two people and how to capitalize on that (they say one person codes and the other person sits there looking pretty). The other is how to practice and improve at this event. If someone could answer these it would be much appreciated.
What my partner and I do is that we have a set of default codes and sprites that are going to be in the game no matter what. So when the topic is announced, I make all the defaults while he comes up with a game idea. Once we have our idea I start putting code together while he gives constant feedback on whether something is too fast, too slow, too big, etc. Once we're done he redesigns the sprites and troubleshoots.

For practicing, we obviously practice making our default codes and sprites. The best way to do this is have another team member give you a topic and you create a game. Then have someone evaluate it. It's better if you have multiple teams so many of you can create games at the same time. By comparing you get to see where your creative/coding flaws are and get more ideas for competition. Hope this helps!
Captain

Bold indicates main event
2016 Events: Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Forensics, Fossils, Game On, Green Generation, It's About Time
Medal Count: 3

2017 Events: Experimental Design, Game On, Hovercraft, Rocks and Minerals, Herpetology, Wind Power
Medal Count: 3
arvind_r
Division: C
State: GA
Been thanked: 0

Post by arvind_r »

I emailed the person who said he could send me my Game On game for nationals in May but got no response. Must the request for the game be sent by a coach?
EDIT: The National organization has not authorized the release of the games from Nationals to the distribution of the teams.
Chattahoochee High School Science Olympiad Co-President
2015-16:
Nationals: Game On: 7th place
2016-17:
UGA/MIT/State/Nationals
Astro: 2/14/1/
Chem Lab: 1/-/-/
Game On: 6/-/3/
Hovercraft: -/3/-/
Dynamic Planet: 2/2/2/
Rocks & Minerals: -/14/3/

Return to “2016 Lab Events”