Game On C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Game On C

Post by Unome »

clearmayhem wrote:Also does anyone know where I can find a copy of the rules? Last time I checked on the official website, it wasn't up.
Rules manuals are copyrighted and cannot be posted online. Your coach should have ordered one upon registering.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by AlphaTauri »

Unome wrote:
clearmayhem wrote:Also does anyone know where I can find a copy of the rules? Last time I checked on the official website, it wasn't up.
Rules manuals are copyrighted and cannot be posted online. Your coach should have ordered one upon registering.
There's also an app for that.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
ProfessorJellybean
Division: C
State: KY
Been thanked: 0

Post by ProfessorJellybean »

bubby2bubby2 wrote:Are you allowed to use built in Scratch art and sound assets, and is there a point reduction for doing so?
There is nothing in the rules or the rubric saying that use of the Scratch library is prohibited. It should be allowed; my guess is that use of the microphone is intended for sounds not found in the Scratch library.
sarahm317
Division: B
State: CA

Post by sarahm317 »

Does anyone have an idea of how complex the games should be? An hour seems awfully short to create anything super complicated that is also fully functional/nice looking.
mvgo

Post by mvgo »

In the "Game On" rule, section 2 "Event Parameters", it states "No external resources of any kind are allowed". Does that mean that besides the specifics stated under sub points (a) and (b), nothing else is allowed?

Previous question on "Can one bring a mouse?" would yield an answer of "no" assuming the mouse is an external resource. Is that correct?

Thanks for anyone who can make this point clearer.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

mvgo wrote:In the "Game On" rule, section 2 "Event Parameters", it states "No external resources of any kind are allowed". Does that mean that besides the specifics stated under sub points (a) and (b), nothing else is allowed?

Previous question on "Can one bring a mouse?" would yield an answer of "no" assuming the mouse is an external resource. Is that correct?

Thanks for anyone who can make this point clearer.
As you've already pointed out, it seems like interpretations of "external resources" could vary among event supervisors. You'd find the most reliable answer by either: asking the event supervisor before the tournament if possible or submitting an FAQ through soinc.org. I would guess most supervisors would allow mice because it seems reasonable. And not all supervisors read the rules as closely as we do.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
TrueshotBarrage
State: AL

Post by TrueshotBarrage »

sarahm317 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of how complex the games should be? An hour seems awfully short to create anything super complicated that is also fully functional/nice looking.
Bumping this. It seems impossible to create a complex game with several sprites in less than an hour.
2015 Regionals
It's About Time - 3rd
Compound Machines - 1st
2015 States
Bridge Building - 3rd

2016 Regionals
It's About Time - 1st
Air Trajectory - 1st
theriddler
State: NY

Post by theriddler »

Are two player games allowed? There doesn't seem to be anything against it in the rules. Is this something that I should ask the regionals event organizer to see if they have enough people for a two player game?
"A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else"-John Burroughs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

TrueshotBarrage wrote:
sarahm317 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of how complex the games should be? An hour seems awfully short to create anything super complicated that is also fully functional/nice looking.
Bumping this. It seems impossible to create a complex game with several sprites in less than an hour.
I haven't done this event, but as far as I can tell fro the rules, the intent is to think up a model for the game beforehand and adapt it to the situation.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

theriddler wrote:Are two player games allowed? There doesn't seem to be anything against it in the rules. Is this something that I should ask the regionals event organizer to see if they have enough people for a two player game?
General Rule 1 (https://www.soinc.org/ethics_rules): "Actions and items (e.g., tools, notes, resources, supplies, electronics, etc.) are permitted, unless they are explicitly excluded in the rules, are unsafe, or violate the spirit of the problem."

I think they'd be able to find enough people for a two-player game if they decide to play each game as part of the judging process.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2016 Lab Events”