Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
lavendercats814
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrogeology C

Post by lavendercats814 »

Hi everyone! I was wondering, could someone explain how the simulation works? I've tried reading the explanations to the side, but I still don't really understand what the specific variables mean...

Thank you!
rosebiju123

Post by rosebiju123 »

Which variables are confusing to you for the stimulation? The G, S, P for each well?
rosebiju123

Post by rosebiju123 »

Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for part 3 for this event? seems easy yet confusing?
Verdigris
Division: C
State: FL

Post by Verdigris »

rosebiju123 wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for part 3 for this event? seems easy yet confusing?
I would start by just studying the various kinds of remediation techniques (page 28 of the event guide gives a list of these) and what kinds of chemicals they're effective on (the event guide linked to a table here that's pretty useful). If the event guide is accurate, the regional test shouldn't ask for anything more specific than chemical types (Halogenated VOCs, non-halogenated VOCs, explosives, etc.).

When State comes around, the event guide also has a table of various substances that fall under each classification (pages 25-27) that might be asked about. (There was also a list somewhere on the guide of what remediation techniques might be asked for at State and Nationals, but I can't find it for whatever reason.)

As you can see, I'm relying on the event guide quite a bit. XD
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Yuan Bie

Post by Yuan Bie »

Hello, do we need any textbooks for this subject or is everything we need to know found online?
Thank you!
Verdigris

Post by Verdigris »

I believe all the information you should need can be found online (the event guide offers a number of helpful links). Sorry for the late reply :/
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
JT016
State: NY

Post by JT016 »

http://groundwater.beehere.net/#getting-started

Is this the simulation we'll be getting at the competition? (With different numbers, I mean)
It doesn't seem too complicated as it leads you through each step. Or will the proctors give us a similar simulation that does not lead us through each step?

Also, under "Gradient", how do we determine Distance Y from the map? I have to click "Reveal Distance Y" each time because I can't figure it out.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

JT016 wrote:http://groundwater.beehere.net/#getting-started

Is this the simulation we'll be getting at the competition? (With different numbers, I mean)
It doesn't seem too complicated as it leads you through each step. Or will the proctors give us a similar simulation that does not lead us through each step?

Also, under "Gradient", how do we determine Distance Y from the map? I have to click "Reveal Distance Y" each time because I can't figure it out.
Basically, it's the same with different numbers and they don't give you the answers. Also, with a real map you would be able to find distance Y, but I tried using trig by holding a ruler to my monitor, and it doesn't work; I found somewhere that distance Y is a free point given to you.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Verdigris

Post by Verdigris »

I'm pretty sure Distance Y is freely given to you, yeah.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Return to “2016 Lab Events”