Hydrogeology C

ComputerGeek586
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrogeology C

Post by ComputerGeek586 »

Unome wrote:
ComputerGeek586 wrote:So in the rules it says we can have one sheet of paper. Does that mean front and back?
The clarification specifically says "one 8.5”x11” sheet of paper that may contain information on both sides in any form from any source."
Thanks so much!! :D
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by ScienceOlympian »

I'm studying for this event with the MIT opencourseware lecture notes on Groundwater Hydrology, a graduate class.

Would you think the notes are too in-depth for this event? I personally don't understand half of what's on the handouts, and I'm worried that these concepts will be on the test.

Feel free to check the notes out: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/civil-and-en ... ure-notes/
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
tinywings

Post by tinywings »

Does anyone know how to test themselves? I've found only one practice test online and it was essentially the bare bones minimum. Also, how specific should the topics of study be? The specs are very broad, and I'm a bit overwhelmed on trying to study what I think I maybe should know...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by ScienceOlympian »

tinywings wrote:Does anyone know how to test themselves? I've found only one practice test online and it was essentially the bare bones minimum. Also, how specific should the topics of study be? The specs are very broad, and I'm a bit overwhelmed on trying to study what I think I maybe should know...
I'm having the same exact problem right now.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
appleshake123
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by appleshake123 »

Majority of the study/lab events in Scioly are broad topics-- It's About Time(my fav :) ) encompasses anything regarding to Time as long as it has a question from each of the category, Geologic Mapping with geology, and Astronomy with anything regarding Astro stuff.

To answer your question, Hydrogeology would include anything regarding groundwater(movement of water, terms, etc., remediation, contamination).
Bayard Rustin Class of 2018
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Class of 2022
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology
Verdigris
State: FL

Post by Verdigris »

That, and the Groundwater Foundation's site really is helpful. c:

You also might want to study the aquifers in your area, as the test we took at Regionals had a few questions about Floridian aquifers.
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

So. I was just thrown into this event because my partner's previous partner quit. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, my partner doesn't know what he's doing, and competition is in 2 weeks.

My questions for you all:
- Which parts should I focus on studying the most?
- Any good websites that give good overviews?
- What is important to put on the cheat sheet?
- Any advice?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Verdigris
State: FL

Post by Verdigris »

I would recommend studying the Event Guide's contaminant table and remediation table (pages 25-28 here) for Part 3, which is 50% of the score, and practicing the simulation for Part 2 (a practice simulation can be found here- the simulations at the competitions look basically the same, they just don't have the Check Answer or Show Solution buttons). Part 1 is mostly general information, so I'd recommend looking through here.

For the cheat sheet, I'd recommend putting the stuff for Part 3 first and foremost, namely types of contaminants and certain remediation techniques. Since this is Regionals, I'd recommend only putting the stuff that they have listed under Regionals for now, to save space. (The Event Guide given only lists what contaminants will be asked about at each level- there's an older version that gives the remediation techniques by level, which I think is listed on the Wiki page.) If you can fit any details for Part 1, do that as well.

As for advice, bring a calculator, and don't rush. :P
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
morgasha000

Post by morgasha000 »

Is there any tests I can grab offline or anywhere? I've only been able to find 1 test with the link attached. Does anyone know of practice tests other then the one on the groundwater.org webpage?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/core-products- ... d6866107c0

also considering there is nothing on the test exchange page.
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Verdigris wrote:I would recommend studying the Event Guide's contaminant table and remediation table (pages 25-28 here) for Part 3, which is 50% of the score, and practicing the simulation for Part 2 (a practice simulation can be found here- the simulations at the competitions look basically the same, they just don't have the Check Answer or Show Solution buttons). Part 1 is mostly general information, so I'd recommend looking through here.

For the cheat sheet, I'd recommend putting the stuff for Part 3 first and foremost, namely types of contaminants and certain remediation techniques. Since this is Regionals, I'd recommend only putting the stuff that they have listed under Regionals for now, to save space. (The Event Guide given only lists what contaminants will be asked about at each level- there's an older version that gives the remediation techniques by level, which I think is listed on the Wiki page.) If you can fit any details for Part 1, do that as well.

As for advice, bring a calculator, and don't rush. :P
Thank you so much for this thorough response. I'm sure I will have more questions once I start studying more.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Return to “2016 Lab Events”