Protein Modeling C

Boss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by Boss »

Noel wrote:I am assuming that since the rule writers eliminated the detail about a 3x5 notecard from last year, they no longer think it is necessary. We are only expected to comply with this year's specifications which are 500 words or less, 10 point font size, and single spaced (3.b). The supervisors you encountered probably weren't up to date with the new rules. I attended an invitational in Texas and my partners and I had no issues with our presentation, which did not include a 3x5 notecard.
Seconded^
Showow
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by Showow »

Boss wrote:
Noel wrote:I am assuming that since the rule writers eliminated the detail about a 3x5 notecard from last year, they no longer think it is necessary. We are only expected to comply with this year's specifications which are 500 words or less, 10 point font size, and single spaced (3.b). The supervisors you encountered probably weren't up to date with the new rules. I attended an invitational in Texas and my partners and I had no issues with our presentation, which did not include a 3x5 notecard.
Seconded^
Ok, I just wanted to hear what others have gone through. Because I have my first invitational this Saturday and I asked my coach for his interpretation of the rule and he told me to do both ways, so I'll be prepared for any event supervisor's interpretation.
2015-2016 Events Clio/Eastside/Regionals/States
Experimental Design 2/6/5/20
Game On 1/11/1/10
It's About Time 4/11/2/19
Protein Modeling 2/8/1/18
Source Code (Michigan Trial Event) -/-/4/4
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Showow wrote:
Boss wrote:
Seconded^
Ok, I just wanted to hear what others have gone through. Because I have my first invitational this Saturday and I asked my coach for his interpretation of the rule and he told me to do both ways, so I'll be prepared for any event supervisor's interpretation.
Sure, if you have time, it's always good to have all bases covered. Though anything in past rules does not apply as others have pointed out. Could print out this year's and last year's rules and bring it to the event. Or submit and FAQ if you think it's necessary.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
ElementalClockwork
Division: C
State: PA

Post by ElementalClockwork »

Hey Guys,

Is anyone else having trouble getting the Pre-Build protein model from the pre-build environment. This year we have to build amino acids 93-261 of chain A of the Sepiapterin Reductase, so when I type "restrict 93-261 and sidechain=a" just like the tutorial says, the protein disappears completely.

Any thoughts?

Also, if we're going to build a support stand for our protein, does the support stand have and dimensional restrictions?

Thanks
2011 Events Reach for the Stars, Crimebusters, Mission Possible
2012 Events Reach for the Stars, Keep the Heat, Water Quality, Forestry
Noel
State: FL

Post by Noel »

After competing at the MIT invitational, we got the rubric back for protein modeling and found that having a 3x5 notecard for the description of additions is required. However, the rules for this year only specify a 500 word limit and 10 pt font size...therefore it shouldn't matter the size of the paper. Any thoughts?
2015-2016 Events
It's About Time
Protein Modeling
Robot Arm
Wind Power
Write It Do It
Uber
State: TX

Post by Uber »

ElementalClockwork wrote:Hey Guys,

Is anyone else having trouble getting the Pre-Build protein model from the pre-build environment. This year we have to build amino acids 93-261 of chain A of the Sepiapterin Reductase, so when I type "restrict 93-261 and sidechain=a" just like the tutorial says, the protein disappears completely.

Any thoughts?

Also, if we're going to build a support stand for our protein, does the support stand have and dimensional restrictions?

Thanks
I only do the test part, so I'm not good at it, but this should get you through until you figure out why it doesn't work (maybe it's a glitch). I did see it on the tutorial, and it doesn't work for me either.
Input:
Backbone only
Backbone 1.0
Restrict 93-261
Color structure

As far as I'm aware, there's no dimensional restrictions (ours was really big).
Harvard '22
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Noel wrote:After competing at the MIT invitational, we got the rubric back for protein modeling and found that having a 3x5 notecard for the description of additions is required. However, the rules for this year only specify a 500 word limit and 10 pt font size...therefore it shouldn't matter the size of the paper. Any thoughts?
I haven't seen the rubric, but I'd guess they reused the template from last year's event and forgot to change that. I'd recommend keeping your eye out to see if you're docked points at regionals, etc. It's possible that if that part of the rubric is not updated, inexperienced supervisors will follow it.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
llsrhayes

Post by llsrhayes »

We have purchased the 3 D molecular design’s 2015-2016 Science Olympiad Protein Modeling Event Kit (pre- build Kit). The site says it is for 168 amino acids but this year’s protein needs 169 and we found the mini-toobers are short by 2 centimeters. Has anyone else ordered the kit and had the same problem? If so, how did you add the two centimeters?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

llsrhayes wrote:We have purchased the 3 D molecular design’s 2015-2016 Science Olympiad Protein Modeling Event Kit (pre- build Kit). The site says it is for 168 amino acids but this year’s protein needs 169 and we found the mini-toobers are short by 2 centimeters. Has anyone else ordered the kit and had the same problem? If so, how did you add the two centimeters?
A team from our state noticed the same issue. You can glue on your red and blue caps so they are only attached to 1 cm of the toober. Assuming that the caps are 2 cm each this will add 2 cm total to your protein.
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by Tesel »

I noticed the same issue... I glued on one of the endcaps to fix this for the prebuild. I am wondering though - I saw this issue on the practice onsite build and my invitational build today. Is it science olympiad's fault, or is the notation different than we thought?
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions

Return to “2016 Lab Events”