Code Busters C [National Trial]

Locked
User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3113
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Contact:

Code Busters C [National Trial]

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » April 15th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Discussion for the Code Busters event.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

User avatar
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 296
Joined: February 28th, 2015, 7:49 am
Division: C
State: VA
Location: sadness
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Code Busters C [National Trial]

Post by dragonfruit35 » April 20th, 2016, 9:57 am

Huh, that's cool. This used to be a VA trial event... guess it got promoted! :)
2019 (Duke/Regionals/Cornell/States/Nats)
Mission 3/7/- Sounds 4/2/- Herp -/-/11/1/26 MV 2/3/7/3/10 Code 3/1/1/1/5
2020 (CMU/Regionals/SOUP)
Detector 4/📏/- GV 6/🥢/8 Code 1/1/5 ED -/-/1 PPP -/-/38


R.I.P. Nationals 2020 :(

JeZag
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: June 1st, 2015, 2:17 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Code Busters C [National Trial]

Post by JeZag » May 10th, 2016, 1:38 pm

Does anyone know anything about the nature or difficulty of the test questions?

I'm not sure it's possible to break a Vigenere cipher by hand without any hints, etc.

User avatar
Person
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 143
Joined: September 4th, 2015, 6:27 pm
Division: C
Location: ento
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Code Busters C [National Trial]

Post by Person » May 10th, 2016, 5:28 pm

JeZag wrote:Does anyone know anything about the nature or difficulty of the test questions?

I'm not sure it's possible to break a Vigenere cipher by hand without any hints, etc.
It does say that you might be asked to encrypt with a Vigenere cipher, not decrypt it, if that helps.
Note: Because cryptanalysis with an affine cipher, the Hill Cipher or a Vigenère Cipher is rather difficult, a problem might ask the team to encrypt with one of those ciphers. (In other words, to encode plaintext English writing into encoded ciphertext.)
I am a Person.
Past events: Solar Systems, Crave the Wave, ENTOMOLOGY, Dynamic Planet, Scrambler, Invasive Species, Forensics, Hydrogeology, Optics, Herpetology, Astronomy, Remote Sensing
#TehEntoCult ENTO IS LUV ENTO IS LYFE
Most Original Username 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

JeZag
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: June 1st, 2015, 2:17 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Code Busters C [National Trial]

Post by JeZag » May 11th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Person wrote: It does say that you might be asked to encrypt with a Vigenere cipher, not decrypt it, if that helps.
Note: Because cryptanalysis with an affine cipher, the Hill Cipher or a Vigenère Cipher is rather difficult, a problem might ask the team to encrypt with one of those ciphers. (In other words, to encode plaintext English writing into encoded ciphertext.)
Do you know where that quote is from?

All I could find relating to event instructions was this file: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... rs2014.pdf

But thanks, that's a relief.

User avatar
T-55M
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: April 23rd, 2016, 7:16 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Code Busters C [National Trial]

Post by T-55M » May 11th, 2016, 10:51 pm

I'm on mobile right now, but if you search "code busters science Olympiad" in Google, either the first or second link has the 2016 trial rules, and right underneath the hierarchy of difficulty it has that text.
"Hold what you got and hit them where you can." --Ernest J. King, CNO

Regionals/States/Nats:
Materials Science 2/2/8, Chemistry Lab 1/2/4, Electric Vehicle 58/2/28, Astronomy 2/3/40, Wind Power 9/4/24, Optics 27/17/11, Robot Arm 57/1/X (EV, Robot DQ'd at regionals)

don't do builds

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Code Busters C [National Trial]

Post by Unome » May 12th, 2016, 1:11 pm

T-55M wrote:I'm on mobile right now, but if you search "code busters science Olympiad" in Google, either the first or second link has the 2016 trial rules, and right underneath the hierarchy of difficulty it has that text.
On the National site page for trial events, rules with an asterisk are the ones that will be used at Nationals.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Locked

Return to “2016 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests