State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by sciolylover13 »

Unome wrote:
sciolylover13 wrote:
watermydoing14 wrote:
whats a testoff? is that like a mini competition within your team for everyone that has the event?

Yup. It's to determine who gets on the A team, B team, etc...
It's like a tryout but not for cutting people, then? I should probably start using that name when referring to those tests, since tryout seems to imply that the test determines acceptance.
\

Yeah. basically what Unome said. For this one, no one is getting cut. But, at the testoff our team has at the end of November some people (mostly 6th graders) will get cut. That testoff is more like a tryout, but we still call it a testoff. :D
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////
rosebiju123

Post by rosebiju123 »

Which system requires the most studying and has more perplexing concepts?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

rosebiju123 wrote:Which system requires the most studying and has more perplexing concepts?
Of the current three, I'd say Muscular, although it depends greatly on how much prior knowledge you have.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
watermydoing14
Division: C
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

Unome wrote:
rosebiju123 wrote:Which system requires the most studying and has more perplexing concepts?
Of the current three, I'd say Muscular, although it depends greatly on how much prior knowledge you have.
Agreed. I would also say Integumentary is the easiest system, even if you haven't studied it for 2 years already like some people on this event
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
rosebiju123

Post by rosebiju123 »

Which way do you guys study best for this event? books?website? the cd they recommend? by the way is the cd any good?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

rosebiju123 wrote:Which way do you guys study best for this event? books?website? the cd they recommend? by the way is the cd any good?
The CD is good to study because regional and state supervisors will basically look at soinc.org stuff (although that applies more to events like Bio-Process Lab) when they write tests (unless they happen to be alumni/coaches). Generally I just use the internet for this event, since there's so much info online.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
watermydoing14
Division: C
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

rosebiju123 wrote:Which way do you guys study best for this event? books?website? the cd they recommend? by the way is the cd any good?
Here's a list of some resources I've used:
-Wikipedia (look up articles related to the topics in the rules)
-For learning the bones of the body: http://bodyquiz.net/bones/quiz1 (I suggest changing the language to English in the top left corner)
-For learning the muscles of the body: https://quizlet.com/_1jx1x6 (A quizlet deck I made specifically only with the muscles on the scioly list for this year. It'll help with identifying muscles, and I might make some decks for learning origin, insertion, and action sometime in the future)
-Anatomy coloring books: especially for the muscular system, but is also very useful for the skeletal system. You can buy one for about $10-20 or you can just see what you can find free from a google search. Here's a link to a really nice set of pages I found for the muscular system, it tells you insertion, origin, and action for each muscle so I really like it - http://mededconnect.com/samplechapters/ ... hapter.pdf
-Any biology textbook if you have access to it (I wouldn't recommend buying just any biology textbook for this event, but if you have access to one from school or something, then you might as well read what it has to say about the muscular and skeletal systems. It probably won't have much about integumentary. Also, openstax has a free anatomy textbook that you can download online.)

How I study:
I always take notes for my events, preferably handwritten. My school gives us laptops that have touchscreens and a stylus so I use that to take notes in microsoft onenote. It's very convenient because I can take pictures from my online resources (wikipedia, websites, textbook pdfs) and insert them directly into my notes. I generally make a page for each topic on the rules, maybe some have a few subpages underneath them if they're a more extensive topic. Before I had access to a computer with a stylus, I kept a binder and I would take notes on sheets of notebook paper and glue printed pictures into the notes, then I would organize the notes by what topic in the rules they fall under. Taking notes will also help you keep track of what you have and haven't studied before, and what you need to review more.
For anatomy especially, making the one-page cheat sheet, although I don't really consider it studying, is an extremely important part of preparing for the event. Choosing what to include on your study sheet and making it well in advance so that you can put as much useful information as possible on it is key to success in the event. Only include information that you won't memorize. If you already know it, take it off your cheat sheet. Diagrams are especially useful for cheat sheets. A system of organizing that information is also important, make sure you know where all the information on the cheat sheet is so that you can easily find what you need. One specific suggestion I have for the format of the cheat sheet is that if you and your partner have split up the studying for the event (for example, one partner focuses on skeletal and the other focuses on muscular) then format the sheet so that when you get to the competition, you can rip the sheet in half and one partner can take one half of the sheet and the other partner can take the other half of the sheet. That way you don't have to worry about constantly flipping one sheet between the two of you. Also, this lets each partner include the information that they need on their own side of the sheet.
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
sciolylover13
Division: B
State: AL

Post by sciolylover13 »

watermydoing14 wrote:
-For learning the bones of the body: http://bodyquiz.net/bones/quiz1 (I suggest changing the language to English in the top left corner)
-For learning the muscles of the body: https://quizlet.com/_1jx1x6 (A quizlet deck I made specifically only with the muscles on the scioly list for this year. It'll help with identifying muscles, and I might make some decks for learning origin, insertion, and action sometime in the future)
-Anatomy coloring books: especially for the muscular system, but is also very useful for the skeletal system. You can buy one for about $10-20 or you can just see what you can find free from a google search. Here's a link to a really nice set of pages I found for the muscular system, it tells you insertion, origin, and action for each muscle so I really like it - http://mededconnect.com/samplechapters/ ... hapter.pdf
-Any biology textbook if you have access to it (I wouldn't recommend buying just any biology textbook for this event, but if you have access to one from school or something, then you might as well read what it has to say about the muscular and skeletal systems. It probably won't have much about integumentary. Also, openstax has a free anatomy textbook that you can download online.)

How I study:
I always take notes for my events, preferably handwritten. My school gives us laptops that have touchscreens and a stylus so I use that to take notes in microsoft onenote. It's very convenient because I can take pictures from my online resources (wikipedia, websites, textbook pdfs) and insert them directly into my notes. I generally make a page for each topic on the rules, maybe some have a few subpages underneath them if they're a more extensive topic. Before I had access to a computer with a stylus, I kept a binder and I would take notes on sheets of notebook paper and glue printed pictures into the notes, then I would organize the notes by what topic in the rules they fall under. Taking notes will also help you keep track of what you have and haven't studied before, and what you need to review more.
For anatomy especially, making the one-page cheat sheet, although I don't really consider it studying, is an extremely important part of preparing for the event. Choosing what to include on your study sheet and making it well in advance so that you can put as much useful information as possible on it is key to success in the event. Only include information that you won't memorize. If you already know it, take it off your cheat sheet. Diagrams are especially useful for cheat sheets. A system of organizing that information is also important, make sure you know where all the information on the cheat sheet is so that you can easily find what you need. One specific suggestion I have for the format of the cheat sheet is that if you and your partner have split up the studying for the event (for example, one partner focuses on skeletal and the other focuses on muscular) then format the sheet so that when you get to the competition, you can rip the sheet in half and one partner can take one half of the sheet and the other partner can take the other half of the sheet. That way you don't have to worry about constantly flipping one sheet between the two of you. Also, this lets each partner include the information that they need on their own side of the sheet.
I wish I had time to take handwritten notes...
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////
Melissahall985

Post by Melissahall985 »

Fluorine wrote:Does anyone know when the training handouts on the official SO web site come out?
nope. I was wondering the same thing
Melissahall985

Post by Melissahall985 »

sciolylover13 wrote:
watermydoing14 wrote:

How I study:
I wish I had time to take handwritten notes...
I find that youtube videos are especially helpful

Return to “2016 Study Events”