Anatomy & Physiology B/C

User avatar
watermydoing14
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 25th, 2013, 8:53 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: Interlake
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by watermydoing14 » October 7th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Fluorine wrote:Do you think menorizing muscle insertions and orgins is worthwhile? For bones I memorized bone articulations but am I wasting my time?

Want a second opinion before I take out my stacks of flashcards
I think that insertions and origins (as well as actions) are valuable to learn because they are explicitly stated in the rules. Bone articulations are probably much less important because it's not stated in the rules that you have to know it (besides things like the foramen of the skull for nationals)
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Fluorine » October 7th, 2015, 12:58 pm

watermydoing14 wrote:
Fluorine wrote:Do you think memorizing muscle insertions and origins is worthwhile? For bones I memorized bone articulations but am I wasting my time?

Want a second opinion before I take out my stacks of flashcards
I think that insertions and origins (as well as actions) are valuable to learn because they are explicitly stated in the rules. Bone articulations are probably much less important because it's not stated in the rules that you have to know it (besides things like the foramen of the skull for nationals)
Oh thanks I did not notice that they were mentioned in the rules my bad. For the bone articulations i have them done but I mainly focused on the major ones. For example articulations involved in the elbow joint and shoulder joints. Thanks for the response btw.

vivian_t
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: March 11th, 2015, 3:34 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by vivian_t » October 25th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Just a quick question: Which body system should I comprise my cheat-sheet mostly off: Skeletal or Muscular? Last year I did an entire page for the heart because it was central around that system, but since this year the muscular and skeletal are interrelated, I'm unsure which one proctors are going to be more specific on. :D
SciOly 2015-2016 Events:

Anatomy and Physiology
Forensics

User avatar
watermydoing14
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 25th, 2013, 8:53 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: Interlake
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by watermydoing14 » October 25th, 2015, 9:13 pm

vivian_t wrote:Just a quick question: Which body system should I comprise my cheat-sheet mostly off: Skeletal or Muscular? Last year I did an entire page for the heart because it was central around that system, but since this year the muscular and skeletal are interrelated, I'm unsure which one proctors are going to be more specific on. :D
I would imagine the focus on muscular and skeletal would be fairly even, possibly with a few free response questions asking about how they work together
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!

User avatar
Fluorine
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Learning to live w/o SO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Fluorine » October 25th, 2015, 10:18 pm

watermydoing14 wrote:
vivian_t wrote:Just a quick question: Which body system should I comprise my cheat-sheet mostly off: Skeletal or Muscular? Last year I did an entire page for the heart because it was central around that system, but since this year the muscular and skeletal are interrelated, I'm unsure which one proctors are going to be more specific on. :D
I would imagine the focus on muscular and skeletal would be fairly even, possibly with a few free response questions asking about how they work together
My only comment here is that muscle physiology is significantly harder than skeletal. For me memorizing some of the muscle anatomy and physiology can be tricky. So I will probably dedicate more stuff to muscles, however this is just a personnel preference.
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling

User avatar
watermydoing14
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 25th, 2013, 8:53 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: Interlake
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by watermydoing14 » October 28th, 2015, 10:38 pm

If anyone is looking for a good way to learn the bones, bodyquiz.net has a pretty good amount of bones and it's adaptive, which is pretty cool. They also have a muscle quiz but I don't really recommend it because it doesn't line up with the scioly muscle list very well.
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!

sciolylover13
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: June 5th, 2015, 10:23 am
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by sciolylover13 » October 29th, 2015, 8:23 am

I have a testoff for A&P next Friday. I haven't even started the muscular system on my cheat sheet yet... :( :( :(
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////

User avatar
watermydoing14
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: July 25th, 2013, 8:53 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: Interlake
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by watermydoing14 » October 29th, 2015, 9:46 am

sciolylover13 wrote:I have a testoff for A&P next Friday. I haven't even started the muscular system on my cheat sheet yet... :( :( :(
whats a testoff? is that like a mini competition within your team for everyone that has the event?
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!

sciolylover13
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: June 5th, 2015, 10:23 am
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by sciolylover13 » October 29th, 2015, 12:37 pm

watermydoing14 wrote:
sciolylover13 wrote:I have a testoff for A&P next Friday. I haven't even started the muscular system on my cheat sheet yet... :( :( :(
whats a testoff? is that like a mini competition within your team for everyone that has the event?

Yup. It's to determine who gets on the A team, B team, etc...
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Unome » October 29th, 2015, 1:09 pm

sciolylover13 wrote:
watermydoing14 wrote:
sciolylover13 wrote:I have a testoff for A&P next Friday. I haven't even started the muscular system on my cheat sheet yet... :( :( :(
whats a testoff? is that like a mini competition within your team for everyone that has the event?

Yup. It's to determine who gets on the A team, B team, etc...
It's like a tryout but not for cutting people, then? I should probably start using that name when referring to those tests, since tryout seems to imply that the test determines acceptance.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Locked

Return to “2016 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests