Disease Detectives B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Unome »

How does the focus rotation for this event work? I only have info back to 2014, and I think it's been the same focus since then.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ptabraham_nerd01
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ptabraham_nerd01 »

What should I put on my Resource Sheet?
Never done Disease Detectives before.
I have like half a page left.

Thanks!!!!
2019 Interests: Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Fossils, Experimental Design, Geologic Mapping, Designer Genes
Anatomy/Disease/Experimental/Fossils/Circuit Lab:
MIT: 12/25/13/22
Regionals: 1/1/x/x/1
State: 1/1/2/1/x
Nationals:
hmath729
State: CA

Post by hmath729 »

ptabraham_nerd01 wrote:What should I put on my Resource Sheet?
Never done Disease Detectives before.
I have like half a page left.

Thanks!!!!
Hello, dude. Happy to help. This will be my third year in DD, and I have done pretty well in the past two years. My job would be a lot easier if you tell me what you have already. Anyways...
If not included already, put in all ten steps of outbreak investigation. They almost always ask stuff pertaining to that. Make sure to put information about each step. Also, put in formulas for odds ratio, attack rate... etc. Analysis also is always included. I will get back to ya... Good luck and happy studying!
Go HVS Dolphins!
"You don't beat the tests. The tests beat you!"
Medals (10 total) Inv./Reg./State
Anat. -/4th/-
BPL 1st!/1st!/-
DD. -(9th)/1st!/-
Anat. -(8th)/4th/-
BPL 2nd!/5th/-
DD -(9th)/4th/-
Anat. -(8th)/5th/-
DD -(9th)/5th/-
Heredity -(7th)/-(7th)/-
bhavjain
State: PA

Post by bhavjain »

I've seen 2 triads: {person, place, and time} and {agent, host, environment}...on the test, if they ask for the epidemiological triad, which one do I put? On practice tests, different answer keys have different answers...

Thanks!
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)
hmath729

Post by hmath729 »

bhavjain wrote:I've seen 2 triads: {person, place, and time} and {agent, host, environment}...on the test, if they ask for the epidemiological triad, which one do I put? On practice tests, different answer keys have different answers...

Thanks!
From our experiences, the agent/host/environment triad tends to be the one. However, use context to discern the motive. Person/place/time tends to actuate during descriptive epidemiology (step 4 of outbreak investigation)
:geek:
Go HVS Dolphins!
"You don't beat the tests. The tests beat you!"
Medals (10 total) Inv./Reg./State
Anat. -/4th/-
BPL 1st!/1st!/-
DD. -(9th)/1st!/-
Anat. -(8th)/4th/-
BPL 2nd!/5th/-
DD -(9th)/4th/-
Anat. -(8th)/5th/-
DD -(9th)/5th/-
Heredity -(7th)/-(7th)/-
RSJ-JK

Post by RSJ-JK »

I have one question,
What would be the different ways of prevention for different types of transmission?
Thanks, and what prevention would they be classified as?
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus

Post by mnstrviola »

hmath729 wrote:
bhavjain wrote:I've seen 2 triads: {person, place, and time} and {agent, host, environment}...on the test, if they ask for the epidemiological triad, which one do I put? On practice tests, different answer keys have different answers...

Thanks!
From our experiences, the agent/host/environment triad tends to be the one. However, use context to discern the motive. Person/place/time tends to actuate during descriptive epidemiology (step 4 of outbreak investigation)
:geek:
I had the same question, and eventually came to the same answer :). Like hmath said, agent/host/environment is what they usually want, unless the question is referring to descriptive epidemiology.
RSJ-JK wrote:I have one question,
What would be the different ways of prevention for different types of transmission?
Thanks, and what prevention would they be classified as?
You can probably find a lot of this information online. Here's a couple of websites to get you started:
http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/settings/outpati ... tions.html
http://www.iwh.on.ca/wrmb/primary-secon ... prevention
QuantumTech

Post by QuantumTech »

Can someone please elaborate on the third point of part E in the rulebook, which says "Identify patterns, trends, and possible modes of transmission, sources, or risk factors". Does that basically mean "be able to identify what the cases have in common"? Or is there something more to it?
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

QuantumTech wrote:Can someone please elaborate on the third point of part E in the rulebook, which says "Identify patterns, trends, and possible modes of transmission, sources, or risk factors". Does that basically mean "be able to identify what the cases have in common"? Or is there something more to it?
My broader interpretation of this point is "know how to analyze epidemiological data, whether in the form of tables, graphs or written reports, and to synthesize conclusions about the 'patterns, trends, and possible modes of transmission, sources, or risk factors'." You should be able to identify what the cases have in common, yes, but you should also be able to discuss other specific details and communicate your findings accurately and concisely!
yang573
State: NY

Post by yang573 »

I had my regionals a few weeks ago, and we were asked to calculate the relative risk from mortality rates. Specifically the population in question was grouped based on elevation of residence, and the mortality rate of each group was given. I know that relative risk is basically the rate of a condition among the exposed divided by the rate among the unexposed, but how should we determine which groups are considered exposed and unexposed when we have several levels of exposure?
So much to do, so little time.

Return to “2016 Study Events”