Invasive Species B/C

CTMSRoadScholarKING
Division: C
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Post by CTMSRoadScholarKING »

There could also be different strains of the disease that only affect a specific fruit.
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme
CTMSRoadScholarKING
State: KS

Post by CTMSRoadScholarKING »

There could also be different strains of the disease that only affect a specific fruit.
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme
gavinnupp
State: OH

Post by gavinnupp »

Asked my bio teacher today, +1 on different strains
Certified Enviro-nerd
Ecology, Invasive Species, R&M (R/S '17)
3/2
1/~
2/~
Jaol
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Jaol »

Thanks for the GWSS question. If anyone wants to know, I found out what Auxin Mimics do. The herbicides are equipped with synthetic auxin. Auxin is a hormone in plants that encourages growth and is found at buds and leafs of plants. When plants are infected with this herbicide this "Auxin mimic", as properly named increases the amount of Auxin in a plant and just like invasive species, the balance between too much and too little is ruined and the herbicides work appropriately.
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

I never realized just how complicated fungal reproduction is :| Honestly... Another (double-post) one!
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Jaol wrote:I never realized just how complicated fungal reproduction is :| Honestly... Another (double-post) one!
I've actually recently been researching this as well, and I must say that you're right. And, the images on google don't necessarily help to put the research into context (differing/confusing images). However, I've done minimal research, and have only looked into the 'cycles' and function of the perithecium.

What has your research led you to? :?:

I'm looking forward to competing with you at the National Competition.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

JoJoKeKe wrote:
Jaol wrote:I never realized just how complicated fungal reproduction is :| Honestly... Another (double-post) one!
I've actually recently been researching this as well, and I must say that you're right. And, the images on google don't necessarily help to put the research into context (differing/confusing images). However, I've done minimal research, and have only looked into the 'cycles' and function of the perithecium.

Now that you mention it I might have to put a basic ascomycotal reproduction cycle in my binder. Yeah I'm looking forward to competing with you too!
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Jaol wrote:
JoJoKeKe wrote:

Now that you mention it I might have to put a basic ascomycotal reproduction cycle in my binder. Yeah I'm looking forward to competing with you too!
At states, we had the absolute easiest test in the world! We thought we might have done okay.... but we got first. :shock: I'm kinda glad that stuff wasn't on it, though :lol:
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

dragon_fruit35 wrote:
At states, we had the absolute easiest test in the world! We thought we might have done okay.... but we got first. :shock: I'm kinda glad that stuff wasn't on it, though :lol:
Are you sure it was actually an easy test or did you just have everything in your binder? My state test seemed to be very easy, but in reality we just had everything and knew everything and it was actually a good test.
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

dragon_fruit35 wrote:
Jaol wrote:
JoJoKeKe wrote:

My state test was also very easy. And, it wasn't only because I was prepared, it was because it had almost no effort put into it. We had 43 power point presentation questions which we had 1:30 to answer. Here were some of the questions:

Define Invasive Species.
Identify this organism based on common name (Shows that one obvious image of Mediterranean Fruit Fly)
Identify this organism based on common name (Shows Nutria)

I'm expecting a much more difficult test at nationals which will be good! I want a test that will help me to learn more!

I'm quite nervous for Invasive Species because I really want to medal in it. My team rarely wins a medal at the national competition and so I want to do us proud (I'm worried you're all going to beat me, to be honest :().

I do Invasive Species during the last time slot of the day. When do you guys go? (+ Jaol - Are you doing Picture This at nats?)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1