Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Invasive Species B/C

Post by bernard »

Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Unome wrote: I'd say this event is one of the simpler ones (although not necessarily easy). The materail basically comes down to knowing the info listed on the rules (ecology, control methods, etc; there's a sentence that says all of that stuff on the rules) for each organism listed on the Invasives List (linked in my earlier post on this page).
You are definitely correct on that. I this event all comes down to the amount of effort and number of hours you put into it. The more comprehensive you are with your binder and the moire time you spend looking at pics on google, the better you will do. (this all coming from someone who spent ~800 hours so far on my binder.)
800 hours? Is that serious? Even I don't spend that much time.
800 hours, assuming you started around the first week of June would be around 5 hours a day. If invasive species are your passion it'd be possibly understandable...
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Fluorine
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fluorine »

Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Unome wrote: I'd say this event is one of the simpler ones (although not necessarily easy). The materail basically comes down to knowing the info listed on the rules (ecology, control methods, etc; there's a sentence that says all of that stuff on the rules) for each organism listed on the Invasives List (linked in my earlier post on this page).
You are definitely correct on that. I this event all comes down to the amount of effort and number of hours you put into it. The more comprehensive you are with your binder and the moire time you spend looking at pics on google, the better you will do. (this all coming from someone who spent ~800 hours so far on my binder.)
800 hours? Is that serious? Even I don't spend that much time.
I mean wow. I probably put about 50 hours. One of the things I can say is that ID events are in general are about working smart. You really have to know yourself and think about what you need (notes, pictures or fact sheets) to answer questions correctly and fast. If that requires working 800 hours and memorizing all 100+ species then go for it, but it is still a viable technique to create a super organized binder and win. It is just usually the case the memory is the faster and more reliable technique, but not always practical.
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

bernard wrote: 800 hours, assuming you started around the first week of June would be around 5 hours a day. If invasive species are your passion it'd be possibly understandable...
Yup, but it was more like 8 hours a day for a month and a half or so and then a 2 week break, then about 8 hours a day til school started. It was the only event I could really prep for since rules for builds are kinda needed to do anything (although I did learn some Arduino programming for EV)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Fluorine wrote:
I mean wow. I probably put about 50 hours. One of the things I can say is that ID events are in general are about working smart. You really have to know yourself and think about what you need (notes, pictures or fact sheets) to answer questions correctly and fast. If that requires working 800 hours and memorizing all 100+ species then go for it, but it is still a viable technique to create a super organized binder and win. It is just usually the case the memory is the faster and more reliable technique, but not always practical.
The 800 hours was all put into optimizing the binder. I still plan to put in another 200 or so hours to add some stuff I thought was useless, but supervisor put it in at texas so I decided I'm gonna make a revision
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:
Fluorine wrote:
The 800 hours was all put into optimizing the binder. I still plan to put in another 200 or so hours to add some stuff I thought was useless, but supervisor put it in at texas so I decided I'm gonna make a revision
I spend about 4-5 hours total each day (it averages strangely because of weekends).

By the way, how did you do at CyFalls?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Fluorine wrote:
I spend about 4-5 hours total each day (it averages strangely because of weekends).

By the way, how did you do at CyFalls?
I got 5th, but my partner couldn't come so it was just me and my friend who didn't get a chance to work on it a whole lot. My binder had one huge flaw I didn't forsee: plant heights and sizes. Turns out supervisors will actually care about those things... revising my binder for MIT
Kirbytoad

Post by Kirbytoad »

How/where do we view our State's Invasive Species List?
Kirbytoad

Post by Kirbytoad »

Oh wait I think I found it nvm...

But do you guys know what books are good for invasive species (animals) in North America, in general? I can't find ANY out there. I only found one for plants.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Kirbytoad wrote:Oh wait I think I found it nvm...

But do you guys know what books are good for invasive species (animals) in North America, in general? I can't find ANY out there. I only found one for plants.
Go to a university library (they may have something).
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Kirbytoad wrote:How/where do we view our State's Invasive Species List?
Whether the Invasive Species list is different from the one on the national website will depend on the tournament you are attending or the state you are in. As far as I know, Arkansas and North Carolina have their own lists, and North Carolina's list applies to their regional and state tournaments. I recommend, if possible, checking with your tournament director and/or your state director. It's possible for a list to apply only to a regional tournament and not the state tournament though I haven't heard of that yet.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2016 Study Events”