Dynamic Planet B/C

liberalartslover
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by liberalartslover »

earthies6 wrote:Can someone make a list of the formulas we need to know? It's my first time doing this event and States is in a few days. Thanks!
There's usually not too much math in Dynamic but knowing how to do buoyancy and specific heat will cover most math that could show up.

Buoyancy
Weight of displaced fluid = buoyant force

Specific Heat
Q (heat) = m (mass) * c (specific heat) * change in temperature
liberalartslover

QuantumTech wrote:Does anyone know if Essentials of Oceanography (11th or 12th Edition) is helpful for this event?
Yeah I think this is one of the best textbooks out there to start with and was the first thing I ever read about Oceanography. This covers everything you would need up to about a regional level and then states/nationals might require some extra studying.
JT016
State: NY

Post by JT016 »

liberalartslover wrote:
earthies6 wrote:Can someone make a list of the formulas we need to know? It's my first time doing this event and States is in a few days. Thanks!
There's usually not too much math in Dynamic but knowing how to do buoyancy and specific heat will cover most math that could show up.

Buoyancy

Specific Heat
I also have formulas for celerity, the speed of a tsunami, the period of a wave, and the speed of sound water. You never know what they'll ask. I've definitely seen at least one question about the speed of a tsunami on a practice test.
liberalartslover

JT016 wrote:
liberalartslover wrote:

Buoyancy

Specific Heat
I also have formulas for celerity, the speed of a tsunami, the period of a wave, and the speed of sound water. You never know what they'll ask. I've definitely seen at least one question about the speed of a tsunami on a practice test.
Oh true I forgot about those. Also sometimes pressure at a certain depth (10m = 1 atm).
Eson

Post by Eson »

Since I now know that Earthquakes and Volcanoes is to rotate back next year for 2016-2017 Dyanmic Planet B/C, anybody have a link where I can find the manual for that year? I believe it was 2007-2008 Division B Rulebook. Or Division C is fine too.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Eson wrote:Since I now know that Earthquakes and Volcanoes is to rotate back next year for 2016-2017 Dyanmic Planet B/C, anybody have a link where I can find the manual for that year? I believe it was 2007-2008 Division B Rulebook. Or Division C is fine too.
Rules Manuals are copyrighted (not sure if you know that already) so there won't be a link. You could ask your coach for a copy, or if your coach hasn't been around that long you can probably find some presentations online, sicne they often draw info from the rules manual or occasionally quote verbatim.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Eson

Post by Eson »

Unome wrote:
Eson wrote:Since I now know that Earthquakes and Volcanoes is to rotate back next year for 2016-2017 Dyanmic Planet B/C, anybody have a link where I can find the manual for that year? I believe it was 2007-2008 Division B Rulebook. Or Division C is fine too.
Rules Manuals are copyrighted (not sure if you know that already) so there won't be a link. You could ask your coach for a copy, or if your coach hasn't been around that long you can probably find some presentations online, sicne they often draw info from the rules manual or occasionally quote verbatim.
Thanks! Will do definitely, and I just realized that I could also use the tests from back then to start my notes.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

What kind of Thermodynamics can we expect in this event at the hardest levels of competition?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
bhavjain
State: PA

Post by bhavjain »

Anyone have any idea what mathematical formulas we should know for the States/Nationals level?

I have: 1) Wave Speed = sqrt(g*d)
2) S=1.80655Cl (chlorinity to salinity formula)

These are the only two I have seen on practice tests.

Thanks!
2017 Science Olympiad - (Invites TBD/Reg/State/Nats) - Division C

Anatomy: (-/-/-/-)
Astronomy: (-/-/-/-)
Disease Detectives: (-/-/-/-)
Ecology: (-/-/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (-/-/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (-/-/-/-)
Rocks & Minerals: (-/-/-/-)
Towers: (-/-/-/-)
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azuritemalachite »

bhavjain wrote:Anyone have any idea what mathematical formulas we should know for the States/Nationals level?

I have: 1) Wave Speed = sqrt(g*d)
2) S=1.80655Cl (chlorinity to salinity formula)

These are the only two I have seen on practice tests.

Thanks!
Wave speed is actually S=L(wavelength)/T(time)
The formula for wave speed there is only used for tsunamis as other waves are not caused by a disruption. You may have know this already, but I just wanted to clarify since you did not specify. Last year's test had many more mathematical elements than any of my other tests as well as more about oceanographic tools. I'm sure there was more to it than that, but I can't really remember at this moment. (also there were actual stations)
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:

Return to “2016 Study Events”