Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by calvin102111 »

Unome wrote:
texas wrote:
Person wrote: East is oooooooooooold jk don't ban me Also, In your opinion, was Oceanography or E/V easier?
I did dynamic planet/oceanography this year; it was really easy and I did pretty well. I think it's because I crammed a lot of info into the 4 sheets we got for notes (by the way, the font Calibri [bold] in font size 8 on google docs worked best for me).
Font size 4 fan here! I use regular Calibri on powerpoint because I found it to be the most readable at small font sizes. Plus condensing from the get-go allows me to only fill up one or two sheets, which is easier to look through when we need to find stuff quickly.
Personally, I've been using Arial Narrow on font size 6. It's pretty hard to see in all fairness, but you can cram a lot of information in to a pretty small area.
Captain for 2016/17 Season

Projected Events: Wind Power; Dynamic Planet; Ecology; Optics; R & M; WIDI
Person
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Person »

I used Comic Sans MS on a cheat sheet once I know, I know, the shame is real
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

I use Garamond size 4 - mostly because it was recommended to me by a veteran teammate, but I find that I do like it
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
texas
State: TX

Post by texas »

The thing is, I wanted something that was readable and small, and Calibri Bold 8 was both of those. Also, Google Docs doesn't have font sizes smaller than 8 :( .
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
ampy1234567
State: MN

Post by ampy1234567 »

Uh do you mean 6?
We use Arial Narrow 6 too
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)
texas

Post by texas »

ampy1234567 wrote:Uh do you mean 6?
We use Arial Narrow 6 too
Actually yes, my mistake, google docs does have 6, but my partner finds it hard to read.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

John Richardsim wrote: Yeah, from the looks of it, it will most likely continue being 4. There seems to have been a push sometime in the past to allow for more reference materials in events (East, didn't you also do Disease back when it didn't allow a cheat sheet?)
Yep, in 8th grade I medaled at states in Disease, but cheat sheets weren't allowed.
Person wrote: East is oooooooooooold jk don't ban me Also, In your opinion, was Oceanography or E/V easier?
I personally did better in Oceanography because it was in B, whereas E/V was in my first two C years. I think having 4 sheets available will make E/V easier, because it's the sort of event where diagrams and maps are incredibly helpful. However, it will also be easier for everyone else, so it may be harder to medal. There's a give and take there.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
texas

Post by texas »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: Yeah, from the looks of it, it will most likely continue being 4. There seems to have been a push sometime in the past to allow for more reference materials in events (East, didn't you also do Disease back when it didn't allow a cheat sheet?)
Yep, in 8th grade I medaled at states in Disease, but cheat sheets weren't allowed.
I personally did better in Oceanography because it was in B, whereas E/V was in my first two C years. I think having 4 sheets available will make E/V easier, because it's the sort of event where diagrams and maps are incredibly helpful. However, it will also be easier for everyone else, so it may be harder to medal. There's a give and take there.
I hope it's still going to be 4 sheets for E/V (aka Tectonics) next year.

I've never done E/V in Dynamic Planet, but I have done oceanography, and it's pretty easy, especially because we got 4 sheets of notes.
jaguarhunter
State: MI

Post by jaguarhunter »

I know that many people found the Oceanography books by Trujillo and by Garrison to be particularly helpful for studying and review. Are there any books on Tectonics to start out with that are similar in detail? Thanks!
Northville '18, UMich '22

Vice Executive Director - University of Michigan Science Olympiad Invitational (UMSO)

Instagram: @umichscioly
Twitter: @umichscioly
amydata123
Division: B
State: FL

Post by amydata123 »

windu34 wrote:
DarkZephyr wrote:Does anyone know whether Dynamic Planet E/V for 2016-2017 will be one or four notesheets? It seems that the change from one to four notesheets came after E/V was last ran as a topic, but I don't know whether four notesheets is now the universal policy for DP regardless of the topic or whether E/V will be the only topic to remain at one notesheet.
I am assuming it will be four because the information seems to be equivalent or greater than that of oceanography, but the fact that only one sheet was allowed the last time E/V was run makes me apprehensive. I have already started mine and I'm over half way finished with the first draft and It would be tough to be thoroughly prepared with only one sheet granted you could just memorize a lot of it
How do you already know the subcategories to put in the notes :shock: ? The wiki page from E/V is not even updated. I'd like to get started right now too, but idk what to base it off of :cry:
"The road to success comes through hard work, determination, and sacrifice"
- Dolzinski

Return to “2016 Study Events”