Fossils B/C

daydreamer0023
Division: Grad

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Entomology wrote:I'm not sure when this forum will lock, but I'm not taking any chances. I'll keep this short too, because I have already bored enough of you with long, emotional scioly posts.

Thank you fossils, thank you so so much for 2 years of fun, stress, competitions, and dinosaurs.
I will never be able to put into words completely about how much fun this event was and how much I enjoyed it. Fossils really opened my eyes to geology and paleontology and it exposed me to so much more and I can't believe it's over (for me, at least). I am very sorry took this event for granted at first, and I know now that it's a mistake I will never make again.

I'm still upset about the three year rotation to two year rotation thing, but I know for sure that this isn't the last time you'll see me competing in fossils.
It's going to take 2 more long years, but I will always wait.
thank you again for everything.
Much agreed! I'll add some more details from my personal experience:

I came into this event, fresh into high school, aiming to make the school Varsity team and decided to try out for it because 1)it was interesting, and 2)it wouldn't be as competitive as some of the other events. I studied all summer to compile a detailed list of...only invertebrates and the new species on the list (go procrastinating and paranoia :P). Anyhow, I came to love the event a lot - it taught me so much from how adorable trilobites are (don't you dare judge me for that) to the disgusting truth of the platyceras lifestyle (if you don't know about it - google it) - and it is currently one of two events that is very near and dear to me, even with an unexpected disappointment I experienced at Nationals.

I'm REALLY bummed they're making the switch to the two year rotation now because I, unlike a couple other lucky members, only had one year on this event. But that one year meant so much to me, and though I'm sad that it's going to R&M next year, I'm going to be back as a senior...with the a binder that includes info on ALL specimen. ;)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
varunscs11
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by varunscs11 »

daydreamer0023 wrote:
Entomology wrote:I'm not sure when this forum will lock, but I'm not taking any chances. I'll keep this short too, because I have already bored enough of you with long, emotional scioly posts.

Thank you fossils, thank you so so much for 2 years of fun, stress, competitions, and dinosaurs.
I will never be able to put into words completely about how much fun this event was and how much I enjoyed it. Fossils really opened my eyes to geology and paleontology and it exposed me to so much more and I can't believe it's over (for me, at least). I am very sorry took this event for granted at first, and I know now that it's a mistake I will never make again.

I'm still upset about the three year rotation to two year rotation thing, but I know for sure that this isn't the last time you'll see me competing in fossils.

I came into this event, fresh into high school, aiming to make the school Varsity team and decided to try out for it because 1)it was interesting, and 2)it wouldn't be as competitive as some of the other events. I studied all summer to compile a detailed list of...only invertebrates and the new species on the list (go procrastinating and paranoia :P). Anyhow, I came to love the event a lot - it taught me so much from how adorable trilobites are (don't you dare judge me for that) to the disgusting truth of the platyceras lifestyle (if you don't know about it - google it) - and it is currently one of two events that is very near and dear to me, even with an unexpected disappointment I experienced at Nationals.

I'm REALLY bummed they're making the switch to the two year rotation now because I, unlike a couple other lucky members, only had one year on this event. But that one year meant so much to me, and though I'm sad that it's going to R&M next year, I'm going to be back as a senior...with the a binder that includes info on ALL specimen. ;)

SAME! So sad fossils is leaving :| :| :| :| :|
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
JoJoKeKe
Division: C
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

varunscs11 wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:

SAME! So sad fossils is leaving :| :| :| :| :|
I also loved this event, and wasn't very sad of its leaving until after the National Competition. It hit me that, "Wow- fossils is actually gone for a while!"

This is the only event that I've medalled in consecutively for two years at the state competition, and I even received 8th place at the national competition this year (R.I.P. medal). I've made such a leap in my knowledge from my 37th to 8th place at the national competition, and will never forget the joy that I felt while studying for this event as a 7th and 8th grader. Now, as I become a 9th grader, I look forward to my upcoming growth in other fields of science- and hope to have the same success in Rocks and Invasive Species!

Fossils was an event which I did not take willingly as a 7th grader, but I grew to appreciate paleontology and the earth's history as a whole because of my dedicated studies. I look forward to learning about rocks (hopefully something I will also develop an appreciation for :P), but Fossils will always have a special place with me.

(+ Platyceras is quite disturbing, to be honest...)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
chaguy2457
State: NY

Post by chaguy2457 »

Well, last year was my first year of SciOly and was planning on killing it in Fossils next year :/

Guess I'll take my skills to rock identification!
Captain

Bold indicates main event
2016 Events: Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Forensics, Fossils, Game On, Green Generation, It's About Time
Medal Count: 3

2017 Events: Experimental Design, Game On, Hovercraft, Rocks and Minerals, Herpetology, Wind Power
Medal Count: 3
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azuritemalachite »

Many people here are putting their sentiments about the event Fossils. Maybe I should put it in a different perspective...

In 5th grade, I visited my first SO competition. I knew nothing about any of the events, but I had many friends on the team. I was drawn to the Rocks field guide and I've always had an affinity for looking at rocks/minerals (even though I may not have read all of the stuff about them) in my years as an elementary schooler. The next year, I quickly grabbed a spot on the R&M team that I waited for so long. I studied quite hard (for a 6th grader at the least) as well as Dynamic Planet for Glaciers. I had just begun my start and passion for SO, but the next year, both events switched topics.

I had to learn a new set of material that I wasn't particularly interested in. I'm still not completely over-the-top excited for Fossils and I will never like Fossils more than I did for R&M, but I do love Fossils and I have enjoyed the past 2 years with it. Without Fossils, I wouldn't have had the motivation to memorize geological time periods or I would never be able easily use principles for relative dating, both things I now can't believe I never knew before. It is sad that Fossils is rotating out, but R&M gives the same opportunities of branching out for you as Fossils did for me. In my personal opinion, I think a 2 year rotation is fine since it means a shorter wait time in between and it also reduces the advantage of competitors with 3 years of experience.

Thank you Fossils for 2 years, but now I am moving on to R&M :)
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

I suppose I'm lucky that I enjoyed 2 years of trilobites, corals, and glossopteris (the continental drift questions though)

I, too, took fossils unwillingly as an event. I was dragged into it after my mom became the coach. I can't believe that I used to hate it. I only took it seriously this year, when I realized how much I loved it:( the medals were nothing compared to what I learned, even though I'm proud of my accomplishments.

I can't wait for junior and senior year.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Noticing the upsurge of fossils appreciation, should we form a cult like entomology did? Or at least a society of our own...just a thought. ;)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

daydreamer0023 wrote:Noticing the upsurge of fossils appreciation, should we form a cult like entomology did? Or at least a society of our own...just a thought. ;)

I've been thinking about that lately, actually! Something that pertains to fossils, such as coprolite crew...?
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Entomology wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:Noticing the upsurge of fossils appreciation, should we form a cult like entomology did? Or at least a society of our own...just a thought. ;)

I've been thinking about that lately, actually! Something that pertains to fossils, such as coprolite crew...?
That sounds like a great idea to me! I'd definitely join....
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1