Fossils B/C

living_fossil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by living_fossil »

If anyone is having trouble finding time periods/is worried about accuracy, I recommend just using the smithsonian handbook (which is by far superior to audobon) whenever you can.
gryphaea1635
Division: Grad
State: KS

Post by gryphaea1635 »

Unome wrote:
gryphaea1635 wrote:
DoReMiFossil wrote: The eye socket for Equus is higher on the skull than Mesohippus's. Equus teeth are also very flat, versus Mesohippus, which are crowned.
ok, thanks.
Also, seeing another MA person here is really uncommon :D
Are any of you from Acton-Boxborough? You took two places off us in Fossils :x ;)
haha no, I'm from Boston Latin School and I got 10th at MIT... :p
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
gryphaea1635

Post by gryphaea1635 »

living_fossil wrote:I'm trying to classify Acer, but some of the (credible) sources I have used contradicted each other. It is especially hard to find it's class. This is what I have:
Kingdom: Plantae
Phylum: Anthophyta
Class:
Order: Sapindales
Family Aceraceae
Genus: Acer

Does anyone know the class and/or notice any inaccuracies in my classification?
I think Magnoliopsida can be considered a class for it, but some sources say it is also a Division (it should still work I guess).
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
gryphaea1635

Post by gryphaea1635 »

gryphaea1635 wrote:
living_fossil wrote:I'm trying to classify Acer, but some of the (credible) sources I have used contradicted each other. It is especially hard to find it's class. This is what I have:
Kingdom: Plantae
Phylum: Anthophyta
Class:
Order: Sapindales
Family Aceraceae
Genus: Acer

Does anyone know the class and/or notice any inaccuracies in my classification?
I think Magnoliopsida can be considered a class for it, but some sources say it is also a Division (it should still work I guess).
EDIT: also sorry for double posting...
actually can the admins delete this post it shouldn't be here... (Is this the 1st triple post in scioly history???) :oops:
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

gryphaea1635 wrote:(Is this the 1st triple post in scioly history???) :oops:
Certainly not. Just take a look at the 10,000 post thread in Posting Games.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DoReMiFossil
Division: C
State: MA

Post by DoReMiFossil »

gryphaea1635 wrote:
Unome wrote:
gryphaea1635 wrote:
ok, thanks.
Also, seeing another MA person here is really uncommon :D
Are any of you from Acton-Boxborough? You took two places off us in Fossils :x ;)
I'm from AB, and 10th isn't bad considering we just completely bombed Yale (overconfidence kills, guys)
varunscs11
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

DoReMiFossil wrote:
gryphaea1635 wrote:
Unome wrote: Are any of you from Acton-Boxborough? You took two places off us in Fossils :x ;)
I'm from AB, and 10th isn't bad considering we just completely bombed Yale (overconfidence kills, guys)
Are you from the AB that took 1st at MIT in fossils? I'm sorry about bombing Yale (Was it really that hard in comparison to MIT? Cause last years Yale test was not good. Too ez)
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
gryphaea1635

Post by gryphaea1635 »

I think this time it was about the same as the MIT test. I remember one question was like "Which other coral is the most related to this coral?" We identified that coral as septastraea and the choices were favorites, halysites, and heliophyllum. We chose heliophyllum because favosites and halysites are in the same order so they can't both be the most related, but I actually didn't really know that one. Looking back, we probably misidentified the "septastraea" and it was probably hexagonaria. Then it would've made more sense.

Another question was about bothriolepis and it was "which of these was not true about the class Bothriolepis belongs to?" 2 of the choices were
a. Most species were herbivorous
b. Many species had true teeth

I remembered Dunkleosteus and thought that it was b, since Dunkle. didn't have true teeth. But according to wikipedia, placoderms did develop teeth so I probably got that question wrong. Im pretty sure the correct answer is choice a.

Also, it had quite a few questions where we had to put specimens in chronological order. That means a lot of flipping in our binder (for me at least).
It also had teeth. The bane of the MIT test :lol:

Overall, the test was pretty good though, the "content" wasn't more in-depth, but it was more "tricky."
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
varunscs11
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

I hate it when they ask you to place the specimens in order. Its such a pain esp when there are like 10. Pretty sure placoderms were either detritovores or carnivores not herbivores. Although technically placoderms dont have teeth because the "teeth" are just extensions of the jaw. Prob hexagonaria cause septastrea is scleractinia.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
DoReMiFossil
Division: C
State: MA

Post by DoReMiFossil »

varunscs11 wrote: Are you from the AB that took 1st at MIT in fossils? I'm sorry about bombing Yale (Was it really that hard in comparison to MIT? Cause last years Yale test was not good. Too ez)
lolol yeah. And like grypaea1635 said, it wasn't a particularly hard test (good job btw, see you at states ;) ). We thought that we could use Yale to experiment test-taking strategies...don't do that during an actual competition, that was really dumb. Basically I flipped through the binder and my partner wrote things down this time around, except I'm really slow, and my partner was not good at spelling. We were all around very short on time and rushed through all the questions. We also didn't expect to get full points taken off for spelling (or more like I told my partner that spelling wasn't important), so we ended up getting about half our IDs marked wrong for spelling....I think that was the reason. Either that or we're actually really bad.

Return to “2016 Study Events”