Fossils B/C

JonNykiel
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by JonNykiel »

Hello! I am new to these forums, so forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

I was wondering about an issue that I've been experiencing with various information, specifically, geologic time periods. For certain fossils, it seems like every resource that I check (websites, field guides, museums) has a different geologic period listed. Which resource should I use for tests? Thanks!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

JonNykiel wrote:Hello! I am new to these forums, so forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

I was wondering about an issue that I've been experiencing with various information, specifically, geologic time periods. For certain fossils, it seems like every resource that I check (websites, field guides, museums) has a different geologic period listed. Which resource should I use for tests? Thanks!
Try to check which one is most recent.
gryphaea1635
Division: Grad
State: KS

Post by gryphaea1635 »

JonNykiel wrote:Hello! I am new to these forums, so forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

Supposedly the rules say that field guides are the primary source for time ranges... I think technically the Smithsonian handbook is the official source, so I would use that for time ranges, and then use the Audubon for any fossils not in the Smithsonian book. For any ones not included in the field guide you'll have to try to figure out which sources seem the most reliable... (usually not wikipedia though it may be correct)
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

What I do is write down all of them along with notes on when they were used, revised, etc. so I can put down different time periods depending on who the event supervisor is (university professor, coach, former competitor, etc.)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

ReverseCold wrote:
Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:I think there's a Scioly.org policy against test trading, but I could be wrong.
I've never found it written out in an official-looking post, but I generally just quote this (from Ohio 2015):
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Please know that as a site, we do not allow advertisements of private test trades, since the Test Exchange is the official home of online tests. If you are willing to trade tests to others, please post the tests to the Test Exchange so that all may have access to it, not just those who give you a test in return.
How about if we both make our tests public as a 'trade' - I feel like people won't post tests unless given something in return, so hence trading.
If you make the tests public as part of a "trade" then that fits within site policy. We just don't want any advertising for private swaps.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Once again I have questions regarding this event.

While taking tests for fossils I found some inconsistencies in some of the questions and answers, so I'm here to ask you for your experience and information. Thanks!

So I know that birds are descended from Saurischians, so Archaeopteryx is more closely related to Velociraptor than Iguanodon. However, does Archaeopteryx still have the hip structure of Ornithischians?

The anatomy questions come up quite regularly, so I must ask, do any of you have a diagram of brachiopod anatomy that you find very useful (Note: I have a basic understanding of the Articulate Brachiopod and lophophore, pedicle, etc. but am not sure on costae, teeth, growth lines, etc.)

I found on one test that the reason why Septastraea was able to live in the deeper parts of the ocean (while still preferring shallow warm waters) was because it did not depend on a symbiotic relationship with algae, while on another test it said that Septastraea does have a symbiotic relationship with algae. Could anyone clarify?

One last clarification on general anatomy: I want to make sure that I have this down, and please correct me if I'm wrong.
Gastropods feed with a radula, The individuals that make up Bryozoans are called zooids, Brachiopods feed with a lophophore (as well as Bryozoans to my understanding?), the buoyancy mechanism in nautiloids/ammonoids is the siphuncle, and the dividing chambers of coral/the previous listed are septa, as well as the skeleton secreted by polyps is the corallite.

Thank you so much! :)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
Destiny24

Post by Destiny24 »

Guys, this is pretty urgent. Does anyone know how long of a rotation Fossils is on with Rocks and Minerals??? And will fossils be an event next year?
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Destiny24 wrote:Guys, this is pretty urgent. Does anyone know how long of a rotation Fossils is on with Rocks and Minerals??? And will fossils be an event next year?
Rocks is back next year, replacing fossils.
(I believe it was a three-year rotation, though now it is two-year.)
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
Destiny24

Post by Destiny24 »

Why is this?! For the past 13 years this geology rotation has been a THREE year thing, not TWO. Does anyone have any idea why NSO would change this just this year? Finish the three years for fossils!
Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

Destiny24 wrote:Why is this?! For the past 13 years this geology rotation has been a THREE year thing, not TWO. Does anyone have any idea why NSO would change this just this year? Finish the three years for fossils!
I'm really upset about this too. :( I think it's cause they're trying to make everything a 2 year rotation.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle

Return to “2016 Study Events”