Page 1 of 8

Fossils B/C

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:46 pm
by robotman

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:47 pm
by bernard
Official Fossil List for 2016 posted to the national website!

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:16 pm
by Unome
I'm pretty sure that Septastraea hasn't changed from last year, so I'm wondering why that's marked (it's probably just an oversight though).

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:09 pm
by bearasauras
The first rules clarification for the year has been posted

The correct spelling for Sarcoptergii (on the Official Fossil List on http://www.soinc.org) is Sarcopterygii

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:00 pm
by Unome
Russian Fusulinid diagrams!
Image

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:03 pm
by Entomology
Does anyone know a field guide with plants? I'm using the Audubon and there are only a couple. :/

Side note: The state test for us had rocks and minerals..?

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:13 pm
by varunscs11
I think the Smithsonian has more plants than the Audubon. Also its normal for tests to test you over rocks because that is part of the rules. As for minerals, it would be more sketchy cause the rules don't explicitly state identification of minerals but if its like calcite then it should pass

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:46 am
by GoofyFoofer
So what do we index fossils? Do we have to know all major index fossils, or only the ones on the list? :|

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:48 am
by varunscs11
There are index fossils on the list (like explicitly stated)? Waht? But nonetheless, I use the index fossils chart from chart, but after a while its just intuitive.

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:15 am
by GoofyFoofer
varunscs11 wrote:There are index fossils on the list (like explicitly stated)? Waht? But nonetheless, I use the index fossils chart from chart, but after a while its just intuitive.

Huh, I did not see that... :oops: Thanks, though!

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:04 pm
by TavinM
Me and my partner are new to this event. Does anyone have any suggestions on which field guide is the best. We have past experience with fossils, but are unsure to what level we will be tested at competition.

Thanks, Tavin and Max

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:07 pm
by Unome
TavinM wrote:Me and my partner are new to this event. Does anyone have any suggestions on which field guide is the best. We have past experience with fossils, but are unsure to what level we will be tested at competition.

Thanks, Tavin and Max

I'd suggest either Smithsonian or Audobon; both are good, although personally I rarely use the field guide during competition.

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:21 pm
by Panda Weasley
So this is probably a stupid question, but hey I'm new to the event. When ID'ing the fossils they won't ask specific questions about the actual thing right (ie- mating, environmental impact, etc.)? It's just stuff relating to the fossil? I also noticed that the list is organized by taxonomy, are they going to ask questions about overall orders (etc.) like in Entomology?

Also, since we are allowed to bring a binder would it make sense to basically make our own field guide if we have time? Is anyone else doing this?

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:24 pm
by JoJoKeKe
I participated in this event at the National Competition, Panda Weasley, and they almost never ask you questions like that, so you mainly only have to know about the fossil itself. However, there are occasionally a few ecological questions on the tests.

Re: Fossils B/C

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:16 am
by azuritemalachite
Panda Weasley wrote:So this is probably a stupid question, but hey I'm new to the event. When ID'ing the fossils they won't ask specific questions about the actual thing right (ie- mating, environmental impact, etc.)? It's just stuff relating to the fossil? I also noticed that the list is organized by taxonomy, are they going to ask questions about overall orders (etc.) like in Entomology?

Also, since we are allowed to bring a binder would it make sense to basically make our own field guide if we have time? Is anyone else doing this?


In the event, they may ask you impact, but it's not very in-depth questions, it's mainly like 'Is this an index fossil?' type questions. They'll ask things relating to it's life when it was alive like it's mode of life (ie benthic [living on the ocean floor], pelagic [swimming], sessile [rooted to the ground], etc.), how it ate its food (ie filter feeding, etc), special traits (ie poisonous 'tooth'), anatomy of the fossil, etc. There's also stuff about the fossil like how it's formed and such. You'll notice that there's not too too much on dinosaurs, the mammals, and other larger animals since the event supervisor will probably not have the actual fossils, so it'll be identification based on pictures and people often repeat pictures.

There will probably be a taxonomy question at every other station, so yes it is probably going to be like entomology on that aspect. Also as a disclaimer, since I am basing this information on my experience in the B division, I don't really know what's going to be in the C division event. A tip is to leave no stone unturned (or something like that) and make sure you have basic information on everything listed on the official list.

I've never seen anyone actually make their own field guide and I don't think that's really recommended for competition, but you can bring any field guide even if it's not recommended Smithsonian or Audubon. I think that since you're also making the binder, which should essentially have everything you need to know, you don't really need a make another resource that'll have the same information. So yeah, this was a lot of typing...