Fossils B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by Unome »

JoJoKeKe wrote:Hi, everyone-

Some of you might remember me from this thread last year. My first question regarding this year is: "Where did you guys get all of your taxonomy information relating to all the different organisms?"

For my other event I've been using itis.gov, but I've found this ineffective for Fossils. What have you guys been using? Are there any "Holy grail" websites that you have been using to study and find invaluable pictures of specimens? Thank you all!!! :)
I haven't found a good all-inclusive website for Fossils; I just scan multiple sites until I decide on what's most likely going to be used.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Post by azuritemalachite »

JoJoKeKe wrote:Hi, everyone-

Some of you might remember me from this thread last year. My first question regarding this year is: "Where did you guys get all of your taxonomy information relating to all the different organisms?"

For my other event I've been using itis.gov, but I've found this ineffective for Fossils. What have you guys been using? Are there any "Holy grail" websites that you have been using to study and find invaluable pictures of specimens? Thank you all!!! :)
For this question I shall quote myself in a past post. I hope this works for you!
azuritemalachite wrote: For future reference, my favorite website currently is http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/index.php. (go to Online Exhibits and then History of life through time and THEN click on list of available taxa and then click on whatever needed)
NB: I use this website mainly for invertebrates and http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/ for the dinosaurs.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:
ScienceRules555
Been thanked: 0

Post by ScienceRules555 »

Hi. I have a question:

What is the difference between Gryphaea and Exogyra in physical appearance. I saw the two fossils and could not tell them apart. I know that they live in different time periods, but when it comes to the event you have to identify fossils. I they show me a fossil of a coiled bivalve I can't tell if its Gryphaea or Exogyra.\

So anyone can give me a good description of the physical diffrence between Exogyra and Gryphaea? Thanks
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

ScienceRules555 wrote:Hi. I have a question:

What is the difference between Gryphaea and Exogyra in physical appearance. I saw the two fossils and could not tell them apart. I know that they live in different time periods, but when it comes to the event you have to identify fossils. I they show me a fossil of a coiled bivalve I can't tell if its Gryphaea or Exogyra.\

So anyone can give me a good description of the physical diffrence between Exogyra and Gryphaea? Thanks
This doesn't always work, but Exogyra has sort of a rough shell to me. Also I think they have slightly different sizes, although it's hard to tell size in pictures.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
embokim
State: NY

Post by embokim »

Time period of platyceras?
Happy to be here
living_fossil

Post by living_fossil »

My partner said on one of the tests she was asked to identify the subphylum of something event though in the rules it said we only need to know kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species. Should I include subphylums, superphylums, infrakingdoms etc. in my binder?
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

living_fossil wrote:My partner said on one of the tests she was asked to identify the subphylum of something event though in the rules it said we only need to know kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species. Should I include subphyla, superphyla, infrakingdoms etc. in my binder?
You probably should, since it only takes up a few lines in your binder and tests might ask for it even if it's against the rules; the binder is for the obscure stuff that you can't memorize. Also, subphylum vertebrata is on the list, as well as others similar, so it probably is allowed to be asked.

BTW, 'phylum' and 'genus' are pluralized 'phyla' and 'genera' (Latin spellings, don't question).
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
DoReMiFossil

Post by DoReMiFossil »

embokim wrote:Time period of platyceras?
Ordovician to Middle Permian, and most abundant in Devonian
gryphaea1635
State: KS

Post by gryphaea1635 »

Any tips on differentiating Equus from Mesohippus based on the skull only? What about the teeth?
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
DoReMiFossil

Post by DoReMiFossil »

gryphaea1635 wrote:Any tips on differentiating Equus from Mesohippus based on the skull only? What about the teeth?
The eye socket for Equus is higher on the skull than Mesohippus's. Equus teeth are also very flat, versus Mesohippus, which are crowned.

Return to “2016 Study Events”