Fossils B/C

User avatar
daydreamer0023
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: January 29th, 2015, 5:44 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby daydreamer0023 » May 13th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Also, (apologies for the double post) what is the Nationals Fossils test like?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

User avatar
JoJoKeKe
Member
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby JoJoKeKe » May 14th, 2016, 10:35 am

daydreamer0023 wrote:Also, (apologies for the double post) what is the Nationals Fossils test like?


I did not participate in the fossils event in C Division, and will not be doing so this year either, but I'm to assume that it is somewhat similar in format to the Division B test.

Last year the test was comprised of roughly 25 stations where you had 2 minutes at each. There were approximately 5 medium difficulty questions (1-2 short answer + 3-4 multiple choice) at each station. I'm to believe that ~23 stations had real fossil specimens.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasive Species: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks & Minerals: 2
Microbe Mission: 2
Ecology: 3
Optics: 4 (When you only hit one mirror...)
Invasive Species: 1

User avatar
SenseiSushi
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: April 28th, 2015, 3:51 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Los Estados Unidos
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby SenseiSushi » May 17th, 2016, 4:35 am

JoJoKeKe wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:Also, (apologies for the double post) what is the Nationals Fossils test like?


I did not participate in the fossils event in C Division, and will not be doing so this year either, but I'm to assume that it is somewhat similar in format to the Division B test.

Last year the test was comprised of roughly 25 stations where you had 2 minutes at each. There were approximately 5 medium difficulty questions (1-2 short answer + 3-4 multiple choice) at each station. I'm to believe that ~23 stations had real fossil specimens.


I did Rocks and Minerals at nationals in 2014 and I'm going to assume the tests will be set up similarly. JoJoKeKe is right with how it's usually stationed. Usually they have a laminated question sheet and a cup filled with the specimens. I believe a professor usually runs it so expect it to be insanely tough (like all the other national events).
Userpage
2014 States: R&M-4th, Sounds of Music-5th
2015 States: Crime Busters-2nd, Green Gen-2nd
2015 Nationals: Green Generation-1st
2015 Swap Meet: Cheese Hat
2016 States: Green Gen-1st, Exp Des-5th, Scrambler-6th
2016 Nationals: Green Generation-1st

User avatar
Entomology
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: September 17th, 2015, 1:56 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Raven Nation
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Entomology » May 20th, 2016, 6:58 pm

I'm not sure when this forum will lock, but I'm not taking any chances. I'll keep this short too, because I have already bored enough of you with long, emotional scioly posts.

Thank you fossils, thank you so so much for 2 years of fun, stress, competitions, and dinosaurs.
I will never be able to put into words completely about how much fun this event was and how much I enjoyed it. Fossils really opened my eyes to geology and paleontology and it exposed me to so much more and I can't believe it's over (for me, at least). I am very sorry took this event for granted at first, and I know now that it's a mistake I will never make again.

I'm still upset about the three year rotation to two year rotation thing, but I know for sure that this isn't the last time you'll see me competing in fossils.
It's going to take 2 more long years, but I will always wait.
thank you again for everything.
CCA '20 Captain
2019 Projected Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Sounds of Music, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Mousetrap Vehicle

User avatar
daydreamer0023
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: January 29th, 2015, 5:44 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby daydreamer0023 » May 27th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Ah...this event. Apologies for a double post - I accidently posted the post below twice... :S
Last edited by daydreamer0023 on May 27th, 2016, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

User avatar
daydreamer0023
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: January 29th, 2015, 5:44 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby daydreamer0023 » May 27th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Entomology wrote:I'm not sure when this forum will lock, but I'm not taking any chances. I'll keep this short too, because I have already bored enough of you with long, emotional scioly posts.

Thank you fossils, thank you so so much for 2 years of fun, stress, competitions, and dinosaurs.
I will never be able to put into words completely about how much fun this event was and how much I enjoyed it. Fossils really opened my eyes to geology and paleontology and it exposed me to so much more and I can't believe it's over (for me, at least). I am very sorry took this event for granted at first, and I know now that it's a mistake I will never make again.

I'm still upset about the three year rotation to two year rotation thing, but I know for sure that this isn't the last time you'll see me competing in fossils.
It's going to take 2 more long years, but I will always wait.
thank you again for everything.


Much agreed! I'll add some more details from my personal experience:

I came into this event, fresh into high school, aiming to make the school Varsity team and decided to try out for it because 1)it was interesting, and 2)it wouldn't be as competitive as some of the other events. I studied all summer to compile a detailed list of...only invertebrates and the new species on the list (go procrastinating and paranoia :P). Anyhow, I came to love the event a lot - it taught me so much from how adorable trilobites are (don't you dare judge me for that) to the disgusting truth of the platyceras lifestyle (if you don't know about it - google it) - and it is currently one of two events that is very near and dear to me, even with an unexpected disappointment I experienced at Nationals.

I'm REALLY bummed they're making the switch to the two year rotation now because I, unlike a couple other lucky members, only had one year on this event. But that one year meant so much to me, and though I'm sad that it's going to R&M next year, I'm going to be back as a senior...with the a binder that includes info on ALL specimen. ;)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

varunscs11
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: March 14th, 2015, 9:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby varunscs11 » May 27th, 2016, 6:57 pm

daydreamer0023 wrote:
Entomology wrote:I'm not sure when this forum will lock, but I'm not taking any chances. I'll keep this short too, because I have already bored enough of you with long, emotional scioly posts.

Thank you fossils, thank you so so much for 2 years of fun, stress, competitions, and dinosaurs.
I will never be able to put into words completely about how much fun this event was and how much I enjoyed it. Fossils really opened my eyes to geology and paleontology and it exposed me to so much more and I can't believe it's over (for me, at least). I am very sorry took this event for granted at first, and I know now that it's a mistake I will never make again.

I'm still upset about the three year rotation to two year rotation thing, but I know for sure that this isn't the last time you'll see me competing in fossils.
It's going to take 2 more long years, but I will always wait.
thank you again for everything.


Much agreed! I'll add some more details from my personal experience:

I came into this event, fresh into high school, aiming to make the school Varsity team and decided to try out for it because 1)it was interesting, and 2)it wouldn't be as competitive as some of the other events. I studied all summer to compile a detailed list of...only invertebrates and the new species on the list (go procrastinating and paranoia :P). Anyhow, I came to love the event a lot - it taught me so much from how adorable trilobites are (don't you dare judge me for that) to the disgusting truth of the platyceras lifestyle (if you don't know about it - google it) - and it is currently one of two events that is very near and dear to me, even with an unexpected disappointment I experienced at Nationals.

I'm REALLY bummed they're making the switch to the two year rotation now because I, unlike a couple other lucky members, only had one year on this event. But that one year meant so much to me, and though I'm sad that it's going to R&M next year, I'm going to be back as a senior...with the a binder that includes info on ALL specimen. ;)



SAME! So sad fossils is leaving :| :| :| :| :|
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018

Nationals: 2nd Green Gen, 2nd and 5th Invasives, 3rd and 6th Fossils, 4th Rocks
MIT Medals: 1st Green Gen/Ecology (3x), 1st and 3rd Invasives, 2nd (2x) Fossils, 3rd ExD, 4th Rocks, 5th Cell Bio

User avatar
JoJoKeKe
Member
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby JoJoKeKe » May 27th, 2016, 9:38 pm

varunscs11 wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
Entomology wrote:I'm not sure when this forum will lock, but I'm not taking any chances. I'll keep this short too, because I have already bored enough of you with long, emotional scioly posts.

Thank you fossils, thank you so so much for 2 years of fun, stress, competitions, and dinosaurs.
I will never be able to put into words completely about how much fun this event was and how much I enjoyed it. Fossils really opened my eyes to geology and paleontology and it exposed me to so much more and I can't believe it's over (for me, at least). I am very sorry took this event for granted at first, and I know now that it's a mistake I will never make again.

I'm still upset about the three year rotation to two year rotation thing, but I know for sure that this isn't the last time you'll see me competing in fossils.
It's going to take 2 more long years, but I will always wait.
thank you again for everything.


Much agreed! I'll add some more details from my personal experience:

I came into this event, fresh into high school, aiming to make the school Varsity team and decided to try out for it because 1)it was interesting, and 2)it wouldn't be as competitive as some of the other events. I studied all summer to compile a detailed list of...only invertebrates and the new species on the list (go procrastinating and paranoia :P). Anyhow, I came to love the event a lot - it taught me so much from how adorable trilobites are (don't you dare judge me for that) to the disgusting truth of the platyceras lifestyle (if you don't know about it - google it) - and it is currently one of two events that is very near and dear to me, even with an unexpected disappointment I experienced at Nationals.

I'm REALLY bummed they're making the switch to the two year rotation now because I, unlike a couple other lucky members, only had one year on this event. But that one year meant so much to me, and though I'm sad that it's going to R&M next year, I'm going to be back as a senior...with the a binder that includes info on ALL specimen. ;)



SAME! So sad fossils is leaving :| :| :| :| :|


I also loved this event, and wasn't very sad of its leaving until after the National Competition. It hit me that, "Wow- fossils is actually gone for a while!"

This is the only event that I've medalled in consecutively for two years at the state competition, and I even received 8th place at the national competition this year (R.I.P. medal). I've made such a leap in my knowledge from my 37th to 8th place at the national competition, and will never forget the joy that I felt while studying for this event as a 7th and 8th grader. Now, as I become a 9th grader, I look forward to my upcoming growth in other fields of science- and hope to have the same success in Rocks and Invasive Species!

Fossils was an event which I did not take willingly as a 7th grader, but I grew to appreciate paleontology and the earth's history as a whole because of my dedicated studies. I look forward to learning about rocks (hopefully something I will also develop an appreciation for :P), but Fossils will always have a special place with me.

(+ Platyceras is quite disturbing, to be honest...)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasive Species: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks & Minerals: 2
Microbe Mission: 2
Ecology: 3
Optics: 4 (When you only hit one mirror...)
Invasive Species: 1

chaguy2457
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: February 7th, 2016, 7:53 am
Division: C
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby chaguy2457 » May 28th, 2016, 5:36 am

Well, last year was my first year of SciOly and was planning on killing it in Fossils next year :/

Guess I'll take my skills to rock identification!
Captain

Bold indicates main event
2016 Events: Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Forensics, Fossils, Game On, Green Generation, It's About Time
Medal Count: 3

2017 Events: Experimental Design, Game On, Hovercraft, Rocks and Minerals, Herpetology, Wind Power
Medal Count: 3

User avatar
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 129
Joined: October 9th, 2014, 5:57 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Pangea
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby azuritemalachite » May 28th, 2016, 7:05 am

Many people here are putting their sentiments about the event Fossils. Maybe I should put it in a different perspective...

In 5th grade, I visited my first SO competition. I knew nothing about any of the events, but I had many friends on the team. I was drawn to the Rocks field guide and I've always had an affinity for looking at rocks/minerals (even though I may not have read all of the stuff about them) in my years as an elementary schooler. The next year, I quickly grabbed a spot on the R&M team that I waited for so long. I studied quite hard (for a 6th grader at the least) as well as Dynamic Planet for Glaciers. I had just begun my start and passion for SO, but the next year, both events switched topics.

I had to learn a new set of material that I wasn't particularly interested in. I'm still not completely over-the-top excited for Fossils and I will never like Fossils more than I did for R&M, but I do love Fossils and I have enjoyed the past 2 years with it. Without Fossils, I wouldn't have had the motivation to memorize geological time periods or I would never be able easily use principles for relative dating, both things I now can't believe I never knew before. It is sad that Fossils is rotating out, but R&M gives the same opportunities of branching out for you as Fossils did for me. In my personal opinion, I think a 2 year rotation is fine since it means a shorter wait time in between and it also reduces the advantage of competitors with 3 years of experience.

Thank you Fossils for 2 years, but now I am moving on to R&M :)
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:

User avatar
Entomology
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: September 17th, 2015, 1:56 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Raven Nation
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Entomology » May 28th, 2016, 1:32 pm

I suppose I'm lucky that I enjoyed 2 years of trilobites, corals, and glossopteris (the continental drift questions though)

I, too, took fossils unwillingly as an event. I was dragged into it after my mom became the coach. I can't believe that I used to hate it. I only took it seriously this year, when I realized how much I loved it:( the medals were nothing compared to what I learned, even though I'm proud of my accomplishments.

I can't wait for junior and senior year.
CCA '20 Captain
2019 Projected Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Sounds of Music, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Mousetrap Vehicle

User avatar
daydreamer0023
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: January 29th, 2015, 5:44 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby daydreamer0023 » June 16th, 2016, 3:16 am

Noticing the upsurge of fossils appreciation, should we form a cult like entomology did? Or at least a society of our own...just a thought. ;)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

User avatar
Entomology
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: September 17th, 2015, 1:56 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Raven Nation
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Entomology » June 16th, 2016, 7:40 am

daydreamer0023 wrote:Noticing the upsurge of fossils appreciation, should we form a cult like entomology did? Or at least a society of our own...just a thought. ;)



I've been thinking about that lately, actually! Something that pertains to fossils, such as coprolite crew...?
CCA '20 Captain
2019 Projected Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Sounds of Music, Geologic Mapping, Water Quality, Mousetrap Vehicle

User avatar
JoJoKeKe
Member
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:29 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby JoJoKeKe » June 17th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Entomology wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:Noticing the upsurge of fossils appreciation, should we form a cult like entomology did? Or at least a society of our own...just a thought. ;)



I've been thinking about that lately, actually! Something that pertains to fossils, such as coprolite crew...?


That sounds like a great idea to me! I'd definitely join....
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasive Species: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks & Minerals: 2
Microbe Mission: 2
Ecology: 3
Optics: 4 (When you only hit one mirror...)
Invasive Species: 1


Return to “2016 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest