Fossils B/C

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3668
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Unome » January 15th, 2016, 4:30 am

JoJoKeKe wrote:Hi, everyone-

Some of you might remember me from this thread last year. My first question regarding this year is: "Where did you guys get all of your taxonomy information relating to all the different organisms?"

For my other event I've been using itis.gov, but I've found this ineffective for Fossils. What have you guys been using? Are there any "Holy grail" websites that you have been using to study and find invaluable pictures of specimens? Thank you all!!! :)

I haven't found a good all-inclusive website for Fossils; I just scan multiple sites until I decide on what's most likely going to be used.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 129
Joined: October 9th, 2014, 5:57 pm
Division: C
State: -
Location: Pangea
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby azuritemalachite » January 18th, 2016, 5:50 pm

JoJoKeKe wrote:Hi, everyone-

Some of you might remember me from this thread last year. My first question regarding this year is: "Where did you guys get all of your taxonomy information relating to all the different organisms?"

For my other event I've been using itis.gov, but I've found this ineffective for Fossils. What have you guys been using? Are there any "Holy grail" websites that you have been using to study and find invaluable pictures of specimens? Thank you all!!! :)

For this question I shall quote myself in a past post. I hope this works for you!
azuritemalachite wrote:For future reference, my favorite website currently is http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/index.php. (go to Online Exhibits and then History of life through time and THEN click on list of available taxa and then click on whatever needed)
NB: I use this website mainly for invertebrates and http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/dinosaurs/ for the dinosaurs.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:

ScienceRules555
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: January 21st, 2016, 10:37 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby ScienceRules555 » January 21st, 2016, 10:55 pm

Hi. I have a question:

What is the difference between Gryphaea and Exogyra in physical appearance. I saw the two fossils and could not tell them apart. I know that they live in different time periods, but when it comes to the event you have to identify fossils. I they show me a fossil of a coiled bivalve I can't tell if its Gryphaea or Exogyra.\

So anyone can give me a good description of the physical diffrence between Exogyra and Gryphaea? Thanks

User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 575
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » January 22nd, 2016, 4:42 pm

ScienceRules555 wrote:Hi. I have a question:

What is the difference between Gryphaea and Exogyra in physical appearance. I saw the two fossils and could not tell them apart. I know that they live in different time periods, but when it comes to the event you have to identify fossils. I they show me a fossil of a coiled bivalve I can't tell if its Gryphaea or Exogyra.\

So anyone can give me a good description of the physical diffrence between Exogyra and Gryphaea? Thanks

This doesn't always work, but Exogyra has sort of a rough shell to me. Also I think they have slightly different sizes, although it's hard to tell size in pictures.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

embokim
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: October 24th, 2013, 3:17 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: between weird and genius
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby embokim » January 24th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Time period of platyceras?
Happy to be here

living_fossil
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 10:41 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby living_fossil » January 24th, 2016, 4:25 pm

My partner said on one of the tests she was asked to identify the subphylum of something event though in the rules it said we only need to know kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species. Should I include subphylums, superphylums, infrakingdoms etc. in my binder?

User avatar
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 575
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 3:03 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » January 24th, 2016, 7:09 pm

living_fossil wrote:My partner said on one of the tests she was asked to identify the subphylum of something event though in the rules it said we only need to know kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species. Should I include subphyla, superphyla, infrakingdoms etc. in my binder?

You probably should, since it only takes up a few lines in your binder and tests might ask for it even if it's against the rules; the binder is for the obscure stuff that you can't memorize. Also, subphylum vertebrata is on the list, as well as others similar, so it probably is allowed to be asked.

BTW, 'phylum' and 'genus' are pluralized 'phyla' and 'genera' (Latin spellings, don't question).
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

DoReMiFossil
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: January 24th, 2016, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: MA
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby DoReMiFossil » January 25th, 2016, 12:01 am

embokim wrote:Time period of platyceras?

Ordovician to Middle Permian, and most abundant in Devonian

User avatar
gryphaea1635
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: April 4th, 2015, 4:04 pm
Division: C
State: MA
Location: touching my spaghet
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby gryphaea1635 » January 25th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Any tips on differentiating Equus from Mesohippus based on the skull only? What about the teeth?
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT

DoReMiFossil
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: January 24th, 2016, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: MA
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby DoReMiFossil » January 28th, 2016, 4:19 pm

gryphaea1635 wrote:Any tips on differentiating Equus from Mesohippus based on the skull only? What about the teeth?

The eye socket for Equus is higher on the skull than Mesohippus's. Equus teeth are also very flat, versus Mesohippus, which are crowned.

User avatar
gryphaea1635
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: April 4th, 2015, 4:04 pm
Division: C
State: MA
Location: touching my spaghet
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby gryphaea1635 » January 28th, 2016, 7:07 pm

DoReMiFossil wrote:
gryphaea1635 wrote:Any tips on differentiating Equus from Mesohippus based on the skull only? What about the teeth?

The eye socket for Equus is higher on the skull than Mesohippus's. Equus teeth are also very flat, versus Mesohippus, which are crowned.


ok, thanks.
Also, seeing another MA person here is really uncommon :D
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT

ScienceRules555
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: January 21st, 2016, 10:37 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby ScienceRules555 » January 29th, 2016, 5:10 pm

Hi guys, what is the format you use for the binder pages. I prefer to color code mine. I have an example attached
Attachments
Belemnitida.docx
(44.29 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

Babybread
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: January 29th, 2016, 5:54 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Babybread » January 29th, 2016, 6:04 pm

Found this great website for those who want to get an introductory taste of paleontology and such. Found some interesting stuff here and it's updated pretty regularly with new stuff.
:P :P
fossilscentral.com

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3668
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Unome » January 29th, 2016, 6:08 pm

gryphaea1635 wrote:
DoReMiFossil wrote:
gryphaea1635 wrote:Any tips on differentiating Equus from Mesohippus based on the skull only? What about the teeth?

The eye socket for Equus is higher on the skull than Mesohippus's. Equus teeth are also very flat, versus Mesohippus, which are crowned.


ok, thanks.
Also, seeing another MA person here is really uncommon :D

Are any of you from Acton-Boxborough? You took two places off us in Fossils :x ;)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

living_fossil
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 10:41 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby living_fossil » January 30th, 2016, 3:31 pm

I'm trying to classify Acer, but some of the (credible) sources I have used contradicted each other. It is especially hard to find it's class. This is what I have:
Kingdom: Plantae
Phylum: Anthophyta
Class:
Order: Sapindales
Family Aceraceae
Genus: Acer

Does anyone know the class and/or notice any inaccuracies in my classification?


Return to “2016 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest