Meteorology B

MrHaleStorm1
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by MrHaleStorm1 »

OK, I need help. Anyone have a good (and simple) source and or explanation of saturation mixing ratios? With Stuve and Skew T, I understand the temp/pressure/wind/isobars/isotherms, but the adiabatic lines and mixing ratios are a challenge. Any and all help much appreciated.
cemsc10

Post by cemsc10 »

Has anyone else had several tests this year on the wrong topic?
An disease detective who happens to experiment with meteorology when she is sick of testing her scrambler.
coprolite_dipstick
State: CA

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

cemsc10 wrote:Has anyone else had several tests this year on the wrong topic?
At state this year, there was a lot on severe storms... I had a pretty general knowledge of severe storms before going into the test but I wish I had studied it a bit more since the test writers rarely stick to the topics on the rules sheet (at least in my state competition).
MrHaleStorm1 wrote:OK, I need help. Anyone have a good (and simple) source and or explanation of saturation mixing ratios? With Stuve and Skew T, I understand the temp/pressure/wind/isobars/isotherms, but the adiabatic lines and mixing ratios are a challenge. Any and all help much appreciated.
There's this one website I'll take a look for when I get onto a computer. It's pretty simple as long as you read it slowly (and it's one of the first websites to pop up when you search for Skew-T explanations, so I'm certain you've already seen it). In addition, I have a html file for SkewT, but that's on my computer at home and I won't be there until Saturday or Sunday... if you still want it by then, I'll figure out how to send it to you.

I'll edit this post later once I get to that website
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
MrHaleStorm1

Post by MrHaleStorm1 »

Almost home from our state meeting in Columbus, OH. Meteorology test was very long but I thought very fair. Variety of true/false, multiple choice and short answer. Degree days, skew t, meteogram, metar, classic weather maps. Lots of converting back and forth temps, ex data giving in F back charts, let say for relative humidity or dew point were in C. Had to convert first before you could reference charts. Anyway, top 10, good year. Love Scioly. See you next year.
cemsc10

Post by cemsc10 »

MrHaleStorm1 wrote:Almost home from our state meeting in Columbus, OH. Meteorology test was very long but I thought very fair. Variety of true/false, multiple choice and short answer. Degree days, skew t, meteogram, metar, classic weather maps. Lots of converting back and forth temps, ex data giving in F back charts, let say for relative humidity or dew point were in C. Had to convert first before you could reference charts. Anyway, top 10, good year. Love Scioly. See you next year.
I was there as well, but I thought that the test was way too long for the testing period. We had just enough time to barely finish, yet other teams were still not done. We have done really well at every invite/regionals in this event but today wasn't so easy... :D
An disease detective who happens to experiment with meteorology when she is sick of testing her scrambler.
MrHaleStorm1

Post by MrHaleStorm1 »

cemsc10 wrote:
MrHaleStorm1 wrote:Almost home from our state meeting in Columbus, OH. Meteorology test was very long but I thought very fair. Variety of true/false, multiple choice and short answer. Degree days, skew t, meteogram, metar, classic weather maps. Lots of converting back and forth temps, ex data giving in F back charts, let say for relative humidity or dew point were in C. Had to convert first before you could reference charts. Anyway, top 10, good year. Love Scioly. See you next year.
I was there as well, but I thought that the test was way too long for the testing period. We had just enough time to barely finish, yet other teams were still not done. We have done really well at every invite/regionals in this event but today wasn't so easy... :D
Yes, would definitely say is required both team members. We finished with a few minutes to spare. There were some that finished before us but yep, there were several in our session that we still there when we left. I thought it was pretty balanced and not overly technical or a bunch of obscure trivia. WLS might have been the hardest one I took this year. Solon test was probably the best (in Ohio). Good year, looking forward to severe storms.
cemsc10

Post by cemsc10 »

MrHaleStorm1 wrote:
cemsc10 wrote:
Yes, would definitely say is required both team members. We finished with a few minutes to spare. There were some that finished before us but yep, there were several in our session that we still there when we left. I thought it was pretty balanced and not overly technical or a bunch of obscure trivia. WLS might have been the hardest one I took this year. Solon test was probably the best (in Ohio). Good year, looking forward to severe storms.
Good luck! I'm going on to C so, sadly, no more meteorology.. :(

Our partnership usually works together on every problem, so maybe it would have been better for us to split it and then request help from each other, judging by length. What school are you guys?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

cemsc10 wrote:
MrHaleStorm1 wrote:
cemsc10 wrote:

Our partnership usually works together on every problem, so maybe it would have been better for us to split it and then request help from each other, judging by length. What school are you guys?
There's nothing wrong with a long test; if you that what you got was long, you should have seen some of the tests at MIT :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
cemsc10

Post by cemsc10 »

Unome wrote:
cemsc10 wrote:
MrHaleStorm1 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with a long test; if you that what you got was long, you should have seen some of the tests at MIT :P
Since you're in GA, how long does it usually take for you to get to MIT?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

cemsc10 wrote:
Unome wrote:
cemsc10 wrote:

Since you're in GA, how long does it usually take for you to get to MIT?
~2.5 hours flight, ~15 hours driving (if that's what you're asking).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2016 Study Events”