AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by AlphaTauri »

Just uploaded the test I wrote for MI Region 8 to the test exchange.

Again, like the Astro test I wrote, a bit on the harder side for a Regionals.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
shamu_gtrain
Been thanked: 0

Post by shamu_gtrain »

Hello. I recently got back from State, and there was a part on the Reach for the Stars test I did not know how to do

It gave pictures of the spectras of different star types, and wanted us to identify the star type used. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pictures on this topic. Thanks!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

shamu_gtrain wrote:Hello. I recently got back from State, and there was a part on the Reach for the Stars test I did not know how to do

It gave pictures of the spectras of different star types, and wanted us to identify the star type used. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pictures on this topic. Thanks!
Something like this? If so, you can identify them based on descriptions (e.g. NaI absorption is much stronger in lower luminosity classes) or by diagrams.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Mp3nguin__
Division: C
State: UT

Post by Mp3nguin__ »

My state competition is next week so I was wondering what type of material would be the best to study? I have ran out of space for my notes, so I want to filter out all of the useless ones. My only other question is if there are going to be more star charts on the state test (if anyone knows the material on the state test)? If so how can I study star charts they are a bit confusing? That is all I have to say, thank you.

2019 region/state
Mousetrap Vehicle: 4th/5th
Designer Genes: 4th/haven't got scores
Fossils: 3rd/3rd
Experimental Design: 3rd/haven't got scores
Fermi Questions: n/a/haven't got scores
Unome

Post by Unome »

Mp3nguin__ wrote:My state competition is next week so I was wondering what type of material would be the best to study? I have ran out of space for my notes, so I want to filter out all of the useless ones. My only other question is if there are going to be more star charts on the state test (if anyone knows the material on the state test)? If so how can I study star charts they are a bit confusing? That is all I have to say, thank you.
My first thought is that you haven't run out of space, you just haven't condensed it enough. But with your state tournament in a week, there's not much you can do to fix that so fast and get useful stuff in the extra space.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
CTMSRoadScholarKING
State: KS

Post by CTMSRoadScholarKING »

So, it turns out that I am doing Reach for the Stars at Nationals by myself, because my partner has a conflict. Do you have any tips about what they like to do at Nationals?
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme
CTMSRoadScholarKING
State: KS

Post by CTMSRoadScholarKING »

Will the test be in like stations or will it be in an actual inflatable planetarium?
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme
Unome

Post by Unome »

CTMSRoadScholarKING wrote:Will the test be in like stations or will it be in an actual inflatable planetarium?
Assuming the event supervisor remains the same, the event will probably be a test (this is based off of my experience with Solar System and my limited knowledge of how RFS is usually run at Nationals, so it may not be accurate).
Userpage

Return to “2016 Study Events”