Post by Jaol »

taran123 wrote:reach for the stars :roll: :roll: :?:
Huh?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by Unome »

VansBuilders wrote:For RFS, if there are 2 members in a team, do they take both tests (part 1 & 2) together?
The distinctions in the rules about ID and interpretive tasks are (in my experience) mostly just for proctors to understand the event. Both partners can take the test together (or split it up as Jaol said), and in most cases Part 1 & 2 will be in the same test.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
rma2002
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rma2002 »

Hello, I am a participant of this years' Reach For the Stars competition.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to study, any good links or things like that to aid my in my pursuit of 1st place at the regional competition.

Thanks!
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

rma2002 wrote:Hello, I am a participant of this years' Reach For the Stars competition.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to study, any good links or things like that to aid my in my pursuit of 1st place at the regional competition.

Thanks!
Look here for starters. Once you've gotten the basics. Go to the scioly Test Exchange and take a test or two. This event has many parts to it, so there's tons of stuff you can learn. You do have a copy of the rules, right? Before all of that, look at the rules, read every part and find out what you need to know. After that it's on you.
rma2002

Post by rma2002 »

Cool!

I was wondering, what is everyone here's way of memorizing the stars listed in part one?

How are people going about memorizing all those names :)
robounicorn25
Division: C
State: IN

Post by robounicorn25 »

rma2002 wrote:Cool!

I was wondering, what is everyone here's way of memorizing the stars listed in part one?

How are people going about memorizing all those names :)
I'm not memorizing them, you are allowed to bring two pieces of paper, so i have a list on one of those papers in small text&pics
I love:
minions, Dolphin Tale Movies, Olaf, One Direction, Little mix, and 5 seconds of summer

2015: medals
1st place road scholar-regional
2016:medals
regional:
1st-road scholar
2nd-crave the wave
3rd-fossils
3rd-reach for the stars
rma2002

Post by rma2002 »

Can you maybe tell me what kind of photos are present? Like in general the sheet talks about how they appear on star charts, HR diagrams, star labs, photos or planetariums.

Do you use just regular photos or HR or what?

Thanks for the help!
SyberSid

Post by SyberSid »

Hey I'm making notes for RTS and need help. What information do you guys think I should add for each star, constellation, and deep sky object for part 1,the constellation section.
Secretly_a_Unicorn

Post by Secretly_a_Unicorn »

Hey!
Just wanted to know why we need red-filtered flashlights. I doubt they'd hold the event at night and outside, at least at my nearest level of competition.
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

rma2002 wrote:Can you maybe tell me what kind of photos are present? Like in general the sheet talks about how they appear on star charts, HR diagrams, star labs, photos or planetariums.

Do you use just regular photos or HR or what?

Thanks for the help!
Usually the pictures on test are optical, but in better tests they will take time and put the object through different wavelengths. I would recommend googling all different wavelengths you can find for everything you are supposed to know and put it on your cheatsheet. E.g. Chandra, Compton, VLA, etc. For star charts they'll just grab something handy to them and label a few constellations or stars or DSOs. One really good test had me label DSOs by labeling them on a star chart. Therefore you had to know WHERE the actual DSO was. HR Diagrams are just you knowing what is there and having stuff on your cheatsheet. IDk about star labs and planetariums.

Return to “2016 Study Events”